Electric stove advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consul

Senior Cook
Okay, I really want to talk the family into installing a gas stove as the slow renovation of the kitchen happens. However, this is an old, old house, and if we need to plumb for gas for a stove, things could get messy really quick. Basically, it's possible we may not have that option.

That being said, technology does roll on, and I'm wondering if there are electric stoves out there that are great for controlled cooking. I'm used to standard electric ranges, so I know how to deal with idiosyncracies, but gas may remain a distant dream.

I have seen stoves with a completely flat top, and burners underneath. I don't know if these make cooking easier, but they sure would help with the clean-up.

So, if you had to recommend an electric stove, which one would it be?

Thank you all for your insight.

Consul said:
So, if you had to recommend an electric stove, which one would it be?

My dream stovewise is a dual fuel. Have you heard of these? It has an electric oven and a gas stovetop. I've been unable to discover the means by which the stovetop is powered -- whether gas lines or cannisters, or what. That might be a compromise option for you.

Cats

Electric stoves today are so much easier to clean. I had a flat top and I didn't like it at all. I couldn't use my cast iron pans on it. We just installed a new range we bought from Sears, nothing fancy and very easy to clean. Gas is easier to control I guess when cooking but when you get use to the electric stove it is fine. I really like mine.( Kenmore)

Well, not being able to use my cast-iron pans is no good! I don't think I could cook much of anything without those.

Really, I was just hoping to see that technology had moved along and produced an electric stove with the level of control that gas offers. You'd think it would be at least somewhat possible.

Then again, I am a mechanical engineering student. Maybe I should design my own. :)

I have a glass top and I use my cast iron on it. You just have to not drag it over the service, or bang it around on it. Mine is a Frigidaire Gallery model. Works for me.

I do agree that the ideal would be the electric/gas stoves mentioned by someone else.

Cast Iron works fine on my ceramic stove.

I use my cast iron skillets and my Le Creuset on it nearlyevery day.

You need to be careful about scratching or dropping, but performance-wise, they work well.

I have a water canner and a large pressure canner ... they both warn not to use them on a glass/ceramic stovetop due to the weight. Something you might consider ... I don't have one so I don't have to worry about it. But ... it could be a "justification" for getting a gas stove?

I love my flat top electric (and I've cooked on everything) because, as you mentioned, the clean up. It's very easy to say that gas is the only answer when you don't clean the stove, and when you have central A/C (gas flames heat up a kitchen a LOT more than electric, trust me, I know this). Nowadays the flat tops heat up almost as fast as a gas flame, but they do not get as hot and stay at that top temperature for long times. The cool-down is slower. I offset not being able to simply turn off the flame by simply moving the pan to another burner. I bought a version that has two big front burners. WHen I'm making a large meal, I simply have the burners on different heat levels and juggle them. BUt then, watch some of the great European chefs and they do the same thing, juggling the hot spots on their stoves with the cooler spots. Yes, I will say this actually will wear off the decorative little white specks on the stove top. I consider that to be a point of pride. As my husband says, "Claire plays with her toys, she doesn't put them on a shelf to look at." But since I don't have a 'wife' or maid to clean the very messy stove after I've ... well, made a mess of it, when I'm cleaning up I'm SO glad I opted for electric (I live in a very old house, so had the hook-ups for either in my kitchen and came very close to getting the 'gourmet' gas ... but it was a very hot July day and my last stoves were gas, and .... my lord, on a hot day you simply cannot cook on a gas stove). Another thing to remember is that if you're in the realm of most human beings, in other words, you're spending $1000 or so on your new stove (in other words, having a separate oven for baking isn't going to be in the budget) most of my baking buddies swear that electric ovens are better than gas. Oh, my best freind bought a smooth top a few years ago, and she cans all the time.

A bit of trivia here--Did you know that Linda Ronstadt's grandfather invented the electric stove? (also rubber ice cube trays).

I know this isn't any help with your question, but I remembered it while reading this thread. 8)

:) Barbara

I think a dual would be the ultimate way to go. Regarding smooth top electrics, I have one and have had no trouble with heavy Lodge and LeCreuset on it - just don't drag or drop.

I'm with everyone on the dual fuel idea. I love mine!

And re getting gas installed; look into using propane for your stove. It didn't cost much to get the propane line installed; we have a big tank in the back yard, and it gets filled automatically by the company - who also did the installation.

If you're looking into gas, look into also converting your hot water tank and maybe even the dryer over to gas - mooocho cheaper!

I hate electric stoves, with a passion. I have to cook with one since I am living on campus and I dearly miss the gas stove my family has at home.

If you are unable to get a gas stove but still want some of the controll you get with gas you could look into getting an electric magnetic-induction stove top. It works by generating a field that interacts with metallic pots and pans, it gives instantaneous changes in heat, just like gas so it may be worth considering. However you would have to look into exactly what kinds of pots and pans it does and does not work with because it doesn't work with everything.

Of course you still cannot 'see' the heat it is generating like you can with gas. That is one of the reasons electric stoves are so inferior, what the heck does '5' on the stovetop dial mean?

Haggis said:
I hate electric stoves, with a passion. I have to cook with one since I am living on campus and I dearly miss the gas stove my family has at home.

If you are unable to get a gas stove but still want some of the controll you get with gas you could look into getting an electric magnetic-induction stove top. It works by generating a field that interacts with metallic pots and pans, it gives instantaneous changes in heat, just like gas so it may be worth considering. However you would have to look into exactly what kinds of pots and pans it does and does not work with because it doesn't work with everything.

Of course you still cannot 'see' the heat it is generating like you can with gas. That is one of the reasons electric stoves are so inferior, what the heck does '5' on the stovetop dial mean?

I think it's like anything else, if you use it for a while you learn what that '5' means. My glasstop electric is the easiest cooking stove I've ever used. Granted that I've never used a gas range, but I can't imagine it actually working better than my Frigidaire, just different. :blink:

have two electrics and one natural gas, (not all in one place), that I use regularly. One electric is glass top and convection oven. The other is way basic. Both work well. The gas is a medium fancy. I prefer the gas, the control. But it is the hottest of the three to use. The glass top is the coolest, only the immediate burner area gets hot and a pan is on that. (but if the pan doesn't fit the burner area, it is not as efficient.) The glass top is the easiest to clean. None of them are big enough for a real cook fest! I want six burners two ovens!! Or maybe two stoves side by side, one gas one electric. ???

Back
Top Bottom