"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Electric Tea Kettle?

Howdy,

MY roommate drinks tea every morning. Since her birthday is in 2 weeks, i thought of buying her an electric tea kettle. My mother uses one and she has often told me how much she loves it.

If you use one of these that you love, could you please recommend a brand or model that I can look into. Preferably, I would like to get one in which the "thermos" or kettle is removable from a stationary base.

Thanks everyone!

C.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I've seem those at websites such as Chef's Catalog and Cooking.com.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

This is the one item Ive been turned on to while living in the UK! Everyone here has an electric kettle! I know Ive seen them in California, but I dont know where you are. Bed Bath and Beyond sells them, and I'm sure somewhere online. Sorry I cant suggest a model to buy!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A friend of ours just bought a great Krups one at Linens 'n' Things within the last couple of weeks. Don't know if the pot was insulated, but he got an awesome buy. I think it was on sale for about $30. He's very pleased with it.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Head Chef

I miss my kettle!

Having had several brands and styles of keetles over the years all I suggest is a limscale filter on the spout is vital, and yes, cordless on a base is best, more practical. A smoother design is best for easy wiping and cleaning (it is amazing how grubby the handles and fiddly bits can get, yuk,) but other than that really price or design are the only factors. We have a few kettles knocking about (updated for stryle more than anything else) the ones that cost about a tenner are still going strong but the more expensize ones are certainly more stylish. In all seriousness, they are preety durable and reliable things. The main thing is to watch out for the limescale buildup, and never boil it dry!

The other bonus of kettles, if the green marketing in UK is to be believed, and I am sure it is!, is that it costs less to boil a kettle than boil a saucepan, with the same amount of water. It is certainly quicker. By the time I have made my tea, without a saucepan these days, I have gone off the whole idea, lol

So, find one that you think is attractive and within your budget. They are great.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Here's what mine looks like - I love it!!!
I got it at WalMart for between 20 and 30 dollars.

Make sure to get the biggest capacity you can find.
Mine's a GE 1500 watt with a 10-cup capacity.
It's stainless steel and it's cordless and heats up pretty quick.
It automatically shuts off and has a catchall screen.

Your roommate will really appreciate such a thoughtful gift!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
The Krups is good, but so is the Braun, and the Braun is prettier!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Everymom

I can comment with great authority on this particular topic as I have destroyed MANY kettles.

I currently own an auto shut off Proctor Silex that is removable from its base. It was about $40 or $50 but worth every penny. The top opens completely so it is easy to clean (important for removing scale build up), and there is a little screen to catch anything that might have fallen into the kettle when you pour the water out.

Love it and will buy another one when I kill this one. Its going on 2 years now so thats pretty much a record in MY house.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Head Chef

Alix, what do you do to them??? I have one from when I was a student (its now in my parent's potting shed, lol,) going strong almost ten years later!

My mother burns them out too, but not at the rate of every two years!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
Everymom

lulu, I won't go into all the various ways I have killed kettles but a couple of them include putting an electric kettle on for tea and then forgetting about it and going for a shower. Boiling dry for a while is hard on those babies. The stovetop ones have suffered melting episodes. I melted the plasticy lid thing into one, and then the one WITHOUT the plasticy lid I nearly welded to the element as I ran down to do laundry and then forgot about. OOPS. The auto shut off feature is VERY important around here.