Electrolux Assistant Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginny511

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

First time on this site and I need your help.
Has anyone used an Electrolux Assistant Mixer?
My mother gave me hers - said it was too big for her.
I tried it for my Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes and what a disaster! The roller would not roll, the bowl moved, but the potatoes bunched up against the roller and over the top of the bowl. I was forced to take small portions of the potatoes and mash them with my 37 year old GE portabale mixer!!

Everything I read about this mixer on the internet says how wonderful it is. So, it must be me!

Anyone have any ideas of what I am doing wrong.

My husband (what does he know anyway?) thinks I'm not going to get any help from the internet. Let's prove him wrong. HELP.

Thanks,
Ginny

Well, Ginny, let's prove your OM wrong! Well, at least partially ....

I've never used one - so the first place I would start would be by reading the owner's manual. But, let me guess - your Mom didn't give you the manual? Second idea would be to call your Mom and ask her about how to use it.

If you need to get a replacement manual - The Bread Beckers site has them. And, they also have a forum ... and one of the areas is devoted to questions about the DLX/Assistant - so manybe you can get an answer from someone who actually owns and uses one of these things?

From what I read in the DLX Assistant thread - the roller is for kneading dough, and unless it is free to travel to the center of the bowl it will push ingredients up and out of the bowl. Looking at the attachments that come with it - maybe the beater assembly would have been a better choice???

Anyway - maybe that's enough to help you get a de facto answer and dispel the OM's myth that you can't get any help from the internet.

Thank you so much Michael.
Mom did provide one manual, but it didn't give much instructions. However, mashed potatoes was under the "roller" use. I'm going to check out the website you gave me.
And now I can say my husband was wrong - who didn't know that!!!!!

Thanks again.

Yes. The double whipper might have been the better tool to use for making mashed potatoes.

I've never used the machine to make MP, but yes, the roller / scraper makes excellent dough and cake batter. I usually use a ricer for fine MP. For lumpy, I just use the masher.

But I've only made cake batter and bread dough with the machine so far, and have beaten egg whites for Angel Food Cake with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom