"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cool Emeril's Deep Fryer

Hello Everyone,

Looking for any info on Emeril's deep fryer. Opinions, pro's and con's, etc.

Can anyone recommend another deep fryer? Easy to clean, minimal heat loss when food is added, etc..

Also looking for Utensils for new cookware.. anyone have favorites?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

For minimal heat loss when adding food, the more oil in the tank, the lower the heat loss

The emeril fryer has as little more than 3 liters. I'd go for one that has a 4 liter or more capcity.

Also, it's very expensive. You can get a good one for well under $100.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree with Andy, I was reading up on Emeril's and like the features, but was too small.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Executive Chef

utensils: years ago I bought one of those $5 mesh bags of black nylon utensils at a kitchen store. (they all sell them). What ever was I thinking? Surely these are garbage. Well, I'm still using them more often than any metal tool. I also have several olive wood and bamboo utensils.

They don't scratch and they do hold up.

If you want metal, get good heavy quality, not the stuff with meltable plastic trim and handles.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

For utensils, I like all stainless with no trim (like Robo). I look for ones that are not too bendable.

I also have a flock of wood spoons and spatulas as well as some silicone (high temp) spatulas (look for all one piece spatulas-no joints, seams, nooks or crannies to catch grunge).
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

There WAS one featured in an infommercial that has a wide-body tank and basket.

The woman who did the Grip & Flip commercial was doing this show. Forgot her name. Oh. Her first name is Kathy.

Hamilton Beach now has one that looks like a junior version of the large Turk N' Surf deep fryer.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
cstamper,
I don't know if you own one, but I use my Dutch oven as a deep fryer.
I don't fry that often, but found out that cast iron keeps oil temperature extremelly well.

Relative to utensils, I also have mostly wood and silicone ones to avoid scratching pans. Andy_M. recommendation on silicone is good, the wood/silicone spatulas don't last that long with heavy use and are hard to clean. I own only a few Stainless Steel utensils, they are made by Bravantia, De Hema and Rosle (all from Europe) not sure if they are available in USA, they are pretty good.
Do not buy stuff with thermoplastic handle inserts, you will leave them in pans and they will end up dented because of the hot pan rim.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Yes, that'll work as well! I've done that many times. But I also use a deep-fry therometer to make sure that the cooking temp is ok.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
Master Chef

How much a fryer will loose temp depends on the initial temp of the oil and how much stuff you add to it. How quickly it will recover depends on the heating element(s) ... an immersion system works best. Obviously - the larger the fryer the more you can cook at one time. I just use a 5, 6 or 8 qt pot and a fry thermometer.

As for utensils - I use mostly wood, some high-temp silicone, and a few stainless steel. I do NOT use any nylon stuff because it has a lower than silicone melting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
There WAS one featured in an infommercial that has a wide-body tank and basket. The woman who did the Grip & Flip commercial was doing this show. Forgot her name. Oh. Her first name is Kathy. ...
LOL - how could you forget the name of the Queen of Culinary Crap? Cathy Mitchell!

And, you can't forget her "As Seen on TV" crappy culinary stuff cousin - Chef Tony!

Humm ... I must say that these comments are my personal opinions and in no way reflect the opinions of DiscussCooking.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
Executive Chef

"But before you leave, I think that I ought to tell you something. And that is that...... I'm Chris Hanson working with Dateline NBC, and we're doing a story on culinary crap sponsers doing these culinary crap infommercials who try to pass themselves off as professional chefs.

If there's anything else that you think you'd like to add, we'd be happy to hear it. Otherwise, you're free to go back out the door that you came in."

Haha!! At least you remembered her full name! Isn't that guy the same one who also does the infommercial on the food chopper? They've all done different ones.

And we must also not forget Ron Popeil. The one who advertises the Showtime Rotisserie. He's been doing this infommercial forever!