Emeril's Deep Fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstamper

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone,

Looking for any info on Emeril's deep fryer. Opinions, pro's and con's, etc.

Can anyone recommend another deep fryer? Easy to clean, minimal heat loss when food is added, etc..

Also looking for Utensils for new cookware.. anyone have favorites?

Thanks!:cool:

For minimal heat loss when adding food, the more oil in the tank, the lower the heat loss

The emeril fryer has as little more than 3 liters. I'd go for one that has a 4 liter or more capcity.

Also, it's very expensive. You can get a good one for well under $100.

utensils: years ago I bought one of those $5 mesh bags of black nylon utensils at a kitchen store. (they all sell them). What ever was I thinking? Surely these are garbage. Well, I'm still using them more often than any metal tool. I also have several olive wood and bamboo utensils.

They don't scratch and they do hold up.

If you want metal, get good heavy quality, not the stuff with meltable plastic trim and handles.

For utensils, I like all stainless with no trim (like Robo). I look for ones that are not too bendable.

I also have a flock of wood spoons and spatulas as well as some silicone (high temp) spatulas (look for all one piece spatulas-no joints, seams, nooks or crannies to catch grunge).

There WAS one featured in an infommercial that has a wide-body tank and basket.

The woman who did the Grip & Flip commercial was doing this show. Forgot her name. Oh. Her first name is Kathy.

Hamilton Beach now has one that looks like a junior version of the large Turk N' Surf deep fryer.

cstamper,
I don't know if you own one, but I use my Dutch oven as a deep fryer.
I don't fry that often, but found out that cast iron keeps oil temperature extremelly well.

Relative to utensils, I also have mostly wood and silicone ones to avoid scratching pans. Andy_M. recommendation on silicone is good, the wood/silicone spatulas don't last that long with heavy use and are hard to clean. I own only a few Stainless Steel utensils, they are made by Bravantia, De Hema and Rosle (all from Europe) not sure if they are available in USA, they are pretty good.
Do not buy stuff with thermoplastic handle inserts, you will leave them in pans and they will end up dented because of the hot pan rim.

Yes, that'll work as well! I've done that many times. But I also use a deep-fry therometer to make sure that the cooking temp is ok.

Last edited:
How much a fryer will loose temp depends on the initial temp of the oil and how much stuff you add to it. How quickly it will recover depends on the heating element(s) ... an immersion system works best. Obviously - the larger the fryer the more you can cook at one time. I just use a 5, 6 or 8 qt pot and a fry thermometer.

As for utensils - I use mostly wood, some high-temp silicone, and a few stainless steel. I do NOT use any nylon stuff because it has a lower than silicone melting point.

Corey123 said:
There WAS one featured in an infommercial that has a wide-body tank and basket. The woman who did the Grip & Flip commercial was doing this show. Forgot her name. Oh. Her first name is Kathy. ...

LOL - how could you forget the name of the Queen of Culinary Crap? Cathy Mitchell!

img_575102_0_28a3307ba8fd9d973b86798d5811bc31.jpg

And, you can't forget her "As Seen on TV" crappy culinary stuff cousin - Chef Tony!

7840909.jpg

Humm ... I must say that these comments are my personal opinions and in no way reflect the opinions of DiscussCooking.

Last edited:
"But before you leave, I think that I ought to tell you something. And that is that...... I'm Chris Hanson working with Dateline NBC, and we're doing a story on culinary crap sponsers doing these culinary crap infommercials who try to pass themselves off as professional chefs.

If there's anything else that you think you'd like to add, we'd be happy to hear it. Otherwise, you're free to go back out the door that you came in."

Haha!! At least you remembered her full name! Isn't that guy the same one who also does the infommercial on the food chopper? They've all done different ones.

And we must also not forget Ron Popeil. The one who advertises the Showtime Rotisserie. He's been doing this infommercial forever!

Last edited:
How much a fryer will loose temp depends on the initial temp of the oil and how much stuff you add to it. How quickly it will recover depends on the heating element(s) ... an immersion system works best.

It would also depend on the temperature of whatever you are frying. Frozen french fries, for example, will not only cause a termendous agitation of the oil, they will also reduce the temperature of the oil. I have gotten into the habit of taking anything I will be deep frying out of the refrigerator or freezer at least an hour before I plan on cooking it.

I have a Philips HD6161 Digital Professional Fryer, which I bought at Target, but I believe they are no longer available in the United States, but are still available in Europe. It holds approximately 4 quarts of oil to the fill line. I've had it for about 5 years now, and it is an excellent product.

Caine - you are right ... 3 things make a difference ... this is starting to remind me of the Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition" sketch ... :LOL:

Corey - I've got to give Ron a pass ... he doesn't claim to be anything other than what he is, an inventor selling his creations - just like his dad did before him.

Thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated. I'm going to go for the silicone utensils I think, I just bought a new set of cookware, Anolon Advanced. So far so good... only used it twice so far.

The things that really draw me to the Emeril fryer is the filtration system, the fact that it comes apart almost completely (dishwasher safe) and the reviews it is receiving. I do agree that it is pricey though. I guess I'll do some more research! :) Thanks everyone!

OK, I bought the Emeril and I absolutely love it! In my opinion it is the best deep fryer out there! I love the fact that it comes completely apart for cleaning. The filtration system is great! I've used it several times and the food comes out perfect. LOVE IT!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom