Exspresso Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
Do any of you actually have one of those $1000+ expresso capachino machines and do they make as good a drink as you can get at your local starbucks?

no , not like that..that's way too hard. I have one I've had for years...I think it was 10 bucks. metal, sieve in the middle, top and bottom, goes on the cooktop. makes great coffee, then you're suppossed to add the cream etc..no air, or anything. just really black, black, dark, rich coffee. As to comparisons to starbucks, well, they just arn't in my kitchen when I've had 12 people over for dinner, so mine is perfect!

I don't have one of those but I have a Krups combination - coffee on the left - espresso on the right with the pressurized water container and foamer. I love it - it does make a great cup of latte or espresso. I think it's better 'cause I can keep my jammies on and sit in the courtyard!!!! The ONLY thing that has ever ruined it for me was when squirrel poop landed in my coffee - :oops:

I think my Krups at the time was $250.00. I want one of the ones you're talking about - but then again I always want "it all."

First there isn't any "x" in Espresso... even though most of us pronounce it EXpresso :)

Making "good" espresso is somewhat of an "art" but you first need the right equipment.. the biggest mistake a "newbie" makes is NOT buying a good grinder... those whirly bird spice grinders and even the moderately expensive burr grinders just won't give you the uniform grind you need for good espresso.

Plan on spending about $275 or so on a grinder... I use the Rancilio "Rocky". I also use the Rancilio "Silvia" espresso machine... you can see both of them in a package deal at http://aabreecoffee.com/rabarpaststr.html There are of course other machines in the same class that perform equally as well. See http://www.coffeegeek.com and http://www.coffeekid.com for some reviews of the various machines. It's probably the BEST side around for that information.. far as I know anyway.

And, NO, I don't have anything to do with aabreecoffee. I have bought from them before because in Washington state I have an 8.9% sales tax and aabree doesn't charge sales tax.. and they have free shipping too... but there are several other fine espresso dealers on the net... do a google search on "espresso machine" etc... I can't remember the others "wholelottalove" or something like that and "firstline", etc... you'll find them I'm sure.

Here's an excellent source of reading IF you really want to get serious about espresso...
http://www.thecoffeefaq.com

I'm a relative "newbie" to cooking but in the field of espresso I bring a fair amount of expertise, born of years of frustration and trial and error, so perhaps I can answer some of your questions if/when you have some after reading the above...

Be careful, the search for making the "perfect" shot of espresso can be addictive and one can easily become compulsive (as I am :)...

I am not after esspresso as much as i am chai tea lattes and whipped hot chocolate. My wife goes through phases of being coffee addicted but i am trying to keep her off of it and being able to make a decent latte/ hot chocolate at home would go a long way towards meetintg that goal. And we wouldnt have to pay tithes to starbucks and she's got me pretty addicted to chai.
I had a 5 cartoon a day chocolate milk habit in high school.
Anyway since you are knowledgeable in these things what about chai and latte?
And would the krups machine work to make whipped chai and latte?

I'm not at all familiar with chai teas and such but any kind of espresso maker with the foamer will make a good latte. For a latte you have to pack the filter with espresso - I guess you would pack the filter with the appropriate tea?

I have a Revereware whistling kettle to boil water to make instant coffee. Does that count?

Back
Top Bottom