"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The convection feature is most effective with baking cokies and such and less effective with roasts and such.
Interesting you should say that, Andy. That's what I expected when I got my JennAir, but the truth is that my roasts are cooked to perfection in one-third less time than if I didn't turn the convection feature on. My 23-pound Thanksgiving turkey was done in UNDER 4 hours! I was astonished! Burnished bronze and juicy! and that was not the only example.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

That's interesting. Any comments on covection I've read up to this point say the opposite. Maybe the Jennaire is different!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

thanks for all the advice guys... I'm now leaning more on purchasing the convection gas oven.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi, I am also unsure wether to get a gas fan oven or not. Stoves sell a gas fan oven (700GR) or a conventional gas oven (700GDO) I am used to cooking with a conventional gas oven and don't really bake cakes. Any more opinions or comments greatfully recieved on general use.
thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Hmmm. wonder if I got something wrong?

We have a gas top and electric oven (Smeg, 90 cm). The oven has a variety of settings with fan and without, so that makes it convection, right?

Anyhow, I understood that I need the fan when the full-size pans or trays* are used to allow the hot air to circulate evenly (and, presumably, when I have loaded a full rack) but that otherwise it's not necessary.

If there was another purpose, I didn't know of it!

(I think this is a normal European thing: ovens come equipped with racks, of course, but also full-size cooking pans and shallow ("cookie") trays which extend from side to side inside the oven, using the same slides that the racks use.)
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have a gas oven and on top of it is a there is a medal piece that goes the length of the oven. There are 2 switches - one for a light and the other for a fan. The fan part that collects the dirt can be taken out and cleaned. I usually wash it.

I use it whenever I am cooking to get rid of the smoke.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The convection feature is most effective with baking cokies and such and less effective with roasts and such.

I heard that it makes beautifully-browned chickens and roasts as well.

But yes, it has become a favorite for professional chefs and cooks in the baking field.

~Corey123.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Well, just got a new range (jenn air ,dual fual, double oven) and tried the convection baking with roasts , and it IS wonderful!

Oh, it is electric though, sorry, you wanted to know about gas convection oven.Don't know the difference.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Both gas AND electric fan-assisted (convection) ovens pretty much work the same. It's just a matter of personal preference - which one that you prefer the most.

~Corey123.