Fan in the oven. Huh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
My gas oven (a hand-me-down) has a fan inside. (I actually discovered this after I heard something churning inside the oven long after I had turned it off. I found out about the fan only then. Guess I pressed the Fan ON button accidentally.) There was no surviving user manual that came with the oven.

So, here's my stupid question -- when do I use this fan and what for? Thanks!

Don't know what kind of oven you have or how old it is .. but that sounds like "maybe" a convection oven to me - lucky you!

If the fan circulates the air within the oven while your baking, roasting, etc. - that is great! You can use it just about all the time. It just circulates the hot air in the oven for more even cooking - that's a very good thing.

Sure Ardge! C'mon over! I'm just on the opposite side of the world from you! A short hop. No excuses for being late! :)

Our last oven I bought a gas range with a convection oven (fan in oven as you are describing) and you will find that your cooking times can be asdjusted as much as 30%less. Also on delicate cakes and pastries you must sometimes be aware that you do not want to use you fan excessively as sometimes they suffer from what I can best descibe as "wind burn" (only delicate, high butter content items)

Back
Top Bottom