Fast wine cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceman

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I've been looking for a small kitchen accessory which would chill a bottle of wine as fast as possible. Wondered if anyone had come across anything which did this?

I know about ice makers...but this is a different application.

Many thanks

Sorry Iceman, I don't have an answer for your wine chilling. I just had to say this though.........The Iceman Cometh!

Name that record album artist mudbug! Hint-- mid sixties Chicago!

No cheating with Google!

We better take this to another topic and let this poor man chill his wine. (sorry, iceman, I don't have any suggestions for you either).

I couldn't find it posted on their website - but a few month ago Brew Your Own (a homebrewing magazine) had an article about a guy who made a propane fired jet engine beer cooler. It would take a beer from room temp to serving temp in about 30 seconds!

Of course, it also used about 10 lbs of propane in the process.....

John

I have seen large appliances that do this. The liquor store down the street from my office has one, but it is pretty big. Not something you would want to have in your home unless you have a lot of room. There is super cooled water that circulated around the bottle that you put in it. Depending on how cold you want to go it will take about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. I wonder if you could get the same affect by mixing up some ice salt water and rotating the bottle in that for a few minutes.

You probably already have averything on hand to make a "Cheap" quick wine cooler - not as quick as the commercial liquid nitrogen things they have at the wine/liquor store but works in about 5-10 minutes.

All you need is a bucket or stock pot, ice, cold water, about 1/4 cup salt and either plastic wrap or an old plastic bread wrapper (if you don't want the labels to soak off). Put about 1-2 inches of ice in the bottom of the bucket and spribkle on about 1/3 of the salt, put your wine bottle in the bread wrapper (or wrap with plastic wrap) and put it in the bucket, fill the bucket up about 1/3 of the way with ice, add another 1/3 of the salt, fill up to 2/3 with ice, the remainder of the salt, and fill with cold tap water.

It sounds more complicated than it is - and after the first time you will know how much ice and water you need so you can simply make your ice-water brine and then stick the bottle in it to chill.

Of course, this isn't elegant - when it comes time to go to table you can put the bottle in a more "proper" wine bucket with just ice or ice and plain water to maintain the chill.

If you don't want to follow Mike's advice on a good homemade solution, I have to report that I just got back from Costco, where they are currently selling a fast beverage cooler for about $50. It's about the size of a toaster. Supposedly you can cool cans or bottles using the thing. Might be worth a look.

Right on, brother Michael, Right on!

(I would have offered the same and, since we drink more cab than chard, I'm usually caught unprepared for serving the stuff. This is exactly how I chill mine in a hurry, and it is quick.)

I can see some of you have made home-made ice cream before and are transferring the wisdom to wine...

Hey Audeo, why'd you change your picture icon?

Lifter

Many years of homemade ice cream here, lifter!

As far as the avatar goes, I was on here yesterday afternoon and clicked on one of WayneT's offerings and

POOF!

I instantly became a "senior member"!

Don't buy that, huh?

Back
Top Bottom