"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

OK, OK.... Consumer reports recommends the KA hand mixer and my own experience bears this out as well. I burned up a couple of lesser mixers and finally got a KA hand mixer (it ran really well and is still going strong, donated to friend). As I recall, I was surprised at how the beaters looked, a little lighter weight than my older mixers but it worked well. It also comes in cool colors....

Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thanks! I'm sure I'll probably be thrown by the way beaters look on the new hand-mixers these days. The one I had was from eons ago & the beaters were pretty darn solid.

And really - thanks for the immersion blender link. I've saved it, & when my at least 10-year-old Braun dies, I'll definitely look into it. :)

Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I burnt up some old Sunbeam last year, and got a Cuisinart 3 speed replacement. The beaters were abit weak, and I bent the heck out of one making CCCs. I believe it only has a 1 year warranty, but doesn't cover bent beaters. I wish I knew of this brand and model before, it has 10 digital speeds and a 5 year warranty: Waring Pro 10–Speed Mixer. I might get that one next.

oh yeah, I got a old old KA 3 speed mixer from a thrift store, but only one beater stays in.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
Cook

I have all the gadgets under the sun, but for a quick, small beating job I still love my 'egg beater'; beats cream beautifully, eggs, whatever. You can't buy really good strong ones these days, so on the odd times I go to flea markets, I look out for them and now have a couple of heavy duty ones. You have to test them before buying as the bearings 'go' in them. I am big on being 'green'; if "it" does not use power and is efficient, I'm all for "it".
As for "stand" beaters, I've used one I bought from the supermarket for around AU$20, 6 years ago. It came with beaters, dough hooks and a bowl, is still going well and is great for jobs that are a little heavier.
So Breezy, don't discount the supermarket jobs, I find most small appliances purchased from SM's work well and there is never any hassle about returning them and getting your money back if you are not happy. i'm sure that the same applies in the US.
:)
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I have an 18 year old Hamilton Beach that I bought for maybe $20, maybe less. This is the only mixer I have and it works great for everything I make including cookie doughs.

Personally, if I were to buy another hand mixer, I would want want that has the standard metal beaters. Maybe a KA would be OK, but the weight would probably be a problem. I have seen some quite cheap ones that have the new wire beaters and I don't know if I wouldn't trust them because of the beaters or the quality.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
Senior Cook

In the past I have had no name hand mixers. But since I bought my Kitchen ade hand mixer I have not had to buy another hand mixer. It has wire type beaters but they have held up to hand mixing. If I need to beat anything really dense or thick like a dough or chocolate chip cookies then I use my stand mixer. So one more vote for the Kitchen ade hand mixer.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I got mine from an overstocks store for $10 when I got married 25 years ago. It doesn't get very much use so it's fine. It's not a name brand. I don't know if you'd have that luck today; I think I'd use a 20% Bed BAth Beyond coupon, or take a coupon to Macy's. Or get something refurbished at Amazon.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer too but I also have the Kitchenaid hand mixer for quick jobs like you're looking for. It's pretty powerful and comfortable to use. It's easy to pull out for quick jobs.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We have a five speed KA but the top speed is not very fast.
I saw that KA 5 speed at a Thrift Store, and yeah the 5th/top speed seemed very low. I don't remember its model number, but the specs said it was only 0.6A @ 120 VAC .. so top power is 72 watts .. pretty low.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks for all the opinions/suggestions! We've pretty much gotten all of our small appliances at great prices from either WalMart or CostCo, so I'll see what they're carrying these days.