Favorite Hand Mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Not a stick immersion blender/mixer - have one of those. I'm looking to increase my "gadgets" by one of those good old hand mixers with the 2 mixing blades/whips. Have a terrific KitchenAid stand mixer, but sometimes just want to whip up a small amount of cream or whatever for hubby & I. Had one many years ago, & when it bit the dust just never replaced it.

So - what do you have & like, or - more importantly - what you've had & didn't like? Thanks!:)

I have a kitchenAid, hand mixer that I really love. I have had a couple of cheaper ones, but they didn't last, things like thick cookie dough will do them in pretty quick.

One thing about the cheap ones that I noticed, was that they had really fast high speeds, but couldn't handle a heavy load.

We have a Hamilton Beach one that is about 30 years old and other than the catch for the blades wearing some it works quite nice.

I've had a couple of handmixers - the last one was a KA and it was fine. Once I got a stand mixer I never used the hand mixer again. A nice balloon wisk is useful though...

I HAVE a KitchenAid stand mixer Janet. And I HAVE a balloon whisk. I want a hand-mixer so I can whip up small amounts of things easily without dragging out the KitchenAid or working my wrist to death manually.

Hamilton Beach, 5 speed. I really like it for just what you are talking about... I would never mix anything "heftier" than a cake batter with it. Wouldn't dream of using it for cookie dough!:)
But for cake mixes (yes, I use those!), whipping cream/egg whites, etc, it's perfect.
I hear ya about working your wrists to death, sometimes a balloon whisk is O.K., but having a lightweight hand mixer does come in oh so handy (so to speak).

OK- I know you said that you don;t want a stick blender but many come with a wisk attachment. I have one that I use for whipped cream and egg whites and it's great. The form factor of the attachment is different but it works well. It also would do a cake mix with ease.

Bamix Immersion Blender | Williams-Sonoma

Aack! Lol!! For the 3rd time Janet - I HAVE a stick immersion blender, which is why I don't want another, attachments notwithstanding.

Just want your basic run-of-the-mill hand mixer & was just wondering if anyone had a favorite brand or one that they wouldn't recommend. While I can certainly open a box & check the quality of the beaters, I obviously can't check the reliability power, or longevity of the motor.

OK, OK.... Consumer reports recommends the KA hand mixer and my own experience bears this out as well. I burned up a couple of lesser mixers and finally got a KA hand mixer (it ran really well and is still going strong, donated to friend). As I recall, I was surprised at how the beaters looked, a little lighter weight than my older mixers but it worked well. It also comes in cool colors....

Thanks! I'm sure I'll probably be thrown by the way beaters look on the new hand-mixers these days. The one I had was from eons ago & the beaters were pretty darn solid.

And really - thanks for the immersion blender link. I've saved it, & when my at least 10-year-old Braun dies, I'll definitely look into it. :)

I burnt up some old Sunbeam last year, and got a Cuisinart 3 speed replacement. The beaters were abit weak, and I bent the heck out of one making CCCs. I believe it only has a 1 year warranty, but doesn't cover bent beaters. I wish I knew of this brand and model before, it has 10 digital speeds and a 5 year warranty: Waring Pro 10–Speed Mixer. I might get that one next.

oh yeah, I got a old old KA 3 speed mixer from a thrift store, but only one beater stays in.

I have all the gadgets under the sun, but for a quick, small beating job I still love my 'egg beater'; beats cream beautifully, eggs, whatever. You can't buy really good strong ones these days, so on the odd times I go to flea markets, I look out for them and now have a couple of heavy duty ones. You have to test them before buying as the bearings 'go' in them. I am big on being 'green'; if "it" does not use power and is efficient, I'm all for "it".
As for "stand" beaters, I've used one I bought from the supermarket for around AU$20, 6 years ago. It came with beaters, dough hooks and a bowl, is still going well and is great for jobs that are a little heavier.
So Breezy, don't discount the supermarket jobs, I find most small appliances purchased from SM's work well and there is never any hassle about returning them and getting your money back if you are not happy. i'm sure that the same applies in the US.
:)

I have an 18 year old Hamilton Beach that I bought for maybe $20, maybe less. This is the only mixer I have and it works great for everything I make including cookie doughs.

Personally, if I were to buy another hand mixer, I would want want that has the standard metal beaters. Maybe a KA would be OK, but the weight would probably be a problem. I have seen some quite cheap ones that have the new wire beaters and I don't know if I wouldn't trust them because of the beaters or the quality.

In the past I have had no name hand mixers. But since I bought my Kitchen ade hand mixer I have not had to buy another hand mixer. It has wire type beaters but they have held up to hand mixing. If I need to beat anything really dense or thick like a dough or chocolate chip cookies then I use my stand mixer. So one more vote for the Kitchen ade hand mixer.

I got mine from an overstocks store for $10 when I got married 25 years ago. It doesn't get very much use so it's fine. It's not a name brand. I don't know if you'd have that luck today; I think I'd use a 20% Bed BAth Beyond coupon, or take a coupon to Macy's. Or get something refurbished at Amazon.

I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer too but I also have the Kitchenaid hand mixer for quick jobs like you're looking for. It's pretty powerful and comfortable to use. It's easy to pull out for quick jobs.

We have a five speed KA but the top speed is not very fast.
I saw that KA 5 speed at a Thrift Store, and yeah the 5th/top speed seemed very low. I don't remember its model number, but the specs said it was only 0.6A @ 120 VAC .. so top power is 72 watts .. pretty low.

Thanks for all the opinions/suggestions! We've pretty much gotten all of our small appliances at great prices from either WalMart or CostCo, so I'll see what they're carrying these days.

Back
Top Bottom