"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Favorite Hand Mixer?

Not a stick immersion blender/mixer - have one of those. I'm looking to increase my "gadgets" by one of those good old hand mixers with the 2 mixing blades/whips. Have a terrific KitchenAid stand mixer, but sometimes just want to whip up a small amount of cream or whatever for hubby & I. Had one many years ago, & when it bit the dust just never replaced it.

So - what do you have & like, or - more importantly - what you've had & didn't like? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a kitchenAid, hand mixer that I really love. I have had a couple of cheaper ones, but they didn't last, things like thick cookie dough will do them in pretty quick.

One thing about the cheap ones that I noticed, was that they had really fast high speeds, but couldn't handle a heavy load.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks! One vote for KitchenAid.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We have a five speed KA but the top speed is not very fast.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We have a Hamilton Beach one that is about 30 years old and other than the catch for the blades wearing some it works quite nice.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I've had a couple of handmixers - the last one was a KA and it was fine. Once I got a stand mixer I never used the hand mixer again. A nice balloon wisk is useful though...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

I HAVE a KitchenAid stand mixer Janet. And I HAVE a balloon whisk. I want a hand-mixer so I can whip up small amounts of things easily without dragging out the KitchenAid or working my wrist to death manually.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hamilton Beach, 5 speed. I really like it for just what you are talking about... I would never mix anything "heftier" than a cake batter with it. Wouldn't dream of using it for cookie dough!
But for cake mixes (yes, I use those!), whipping cream/egg whites, etc, it's perfect.
I hear ya about working your wrists to death, sometimes a balloon whisk is O.K., but having a lightweight hand mixer does come in oh so handy (so to speak).

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

OK- I know you said that you don;t want a stick blender but many come with a wisk attachment. I have one that I use for whipped cream and egg whites and it's great. The form factor of the attachment is different but it works well. It also would do a cake mix with ease.

Bamix Immersion Blender | Williams-Sonoma
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Master Chef

Aack! Lol!! For the 3rd time Janet - I HAVE a stick immersion blender, which is why I don't want another, attachments notwithstanding.

Just want your basic run-of-the-mill hand mixer & was just wondering if anyone had a favorite brand or one that they wouldn't recommend. While I can certainly open a box & check the quality of the beaters, I obviously can't check the reliability power, or longevity of the motor.