"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsOats
Did anyone read the comment about the liquid limitations of the KAID? I think they said because of the height of the center shaft you could only fit 2 inches of liquid. Any verification of this?
I dought it. It was in the manual for my last kitchenaid food processor. I never paid attention to it. Just as long as you don't come close to the center post then you will be fine.

Ncage

Old 03-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

ncage1974: I was looking at this GE Food Processer last night. There is not too much information on the outside of the box. Does this unit chop? When I make a stew, my vegetables are cut into 2" pieces. I am want a unit that will help me chop potatoes and carrots and sometimes celery.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
ncage1974: I was looking at this GE Food Processer last night. There is not too much information on the outside of the box. Does this unit chop? When I make a stew, my vegetables are cut into 2" pieces. I am want a unit that will help me chop potatoes and carrots and sometimes celery.
Sure does. If you look on the outside of the box you will see it had a grating/slicing along with a multipurpose stainless steel blade. You can chop with the blad by just putting whatever you need to chop into the work bowl and then pulsing until its the size you want.

I forgot to mention another downfall of not going with KA/Cuisinart is you can't get all those cool attachments that you can get with the more expensive units like a french fry cutting blade..ect. That didn't bother me but it might bother some people. One of those blades are more than the GE unit cost :).

Ncage
Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Head Chef

Am I looking for the right product. The cutting blade is in the bottom. In my other food processor the blade was on top and cut as you fed the food in.
I don't know what brand it was. I have won a lot of unusual kitchen products in cooking contest and that was one of them. (It broke when someone fed an action figure into it...LOL) (I have a Singer brand microwave)
On the front of this GE it has off, on, pulse. Is anything moving when it is on or do you have to push pulse?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue

Am I looking for the right product. The cutting blade is in the bottom. In my other food processor the blade was on top and cut as you fed the food in.
I don't know what brand it was. I have won a lot of unusual kitchen products in cooking contest and that was one of them. (It broke when someone fed an action figure into it...LOL) (I have a Singer brand microwave)
On the front of this GE it has off, on, pulse. Is anything moving when it is on or do you have to push pulse?
The blade in the botton is the multipurpose blade i was talking about. I think your thinking about the shredding/slicing blade which is another blade it comes with. That goes up top. I think you might be confused what pulse/on means. Pulse is when you want to push the button and for the blade to move and when you remove your finger from the button the blad stops. On just keeps the blade going until you hit the off button.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 AM   #16
Senior Cook

the ge is going back

Well unfortunatly im not going to be saving money and it looks like the GE unit is going back to wally world. I ordered the KA unit on Saturday from Amazon. I thought that this was safe and i chose the budget shipping option so i thought if i changed my mind i had until Sunday night to do it. Well i went to go cancel it and guess what? I got this:
We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

So i can either send the new processor back to amazon (which i won't) because of a big hasstle it would be or i could sell it on ebay...again a big hastle. It looks like i will be keeping it and returning the GE Processor. Oh well i guess its fate.

I also ordered a chinease style cast iron wok (thinner than the lodge type of wok) that was cheap and of course im still able to cancel that :).

Ncage
Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I have an 11C KA with the extra small bowl for small jobs. I wouldn't trade this for anything and have never found the feed tube to be that hard to accomodate.
As for the 2 inches and liquids, I think it (at least mine) is at least a little more than that. FPs really aren't for pureeing liquids in the first place. Use a blender or stick blender for liquids. Or do it in stages and combine.
I think the GE looks interesting. A cooking magazine did a review of various FPs (about a year ago now) and the KA came out on top, but a $40 model was listed as the best alternative for economy. I think it was a B&D.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I haven't the room (or the need) for a full-sized unit, and I'm a bit skeptical about the durability of the mini-models, so I've decided on the KitchenAid 7 cup w/mini bowl. It can be had for about $120 - 130, which is no bargain, but for all I've read, the unit is a pretty darned good one. I'm always willing to pay a few bucks more for quality and reliability.

I just hope I don't become one of those folks who play with it for a few days, and then get to the point where they can't remember the last time they used it. I'll start by making a tuna salad, I think, and take it from there.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
According to Consumers Report, Kitchen Aid food processor models KFP740, KFP760 and KFPM770 were rated #1, 2 and 3 (not sure in what order).
Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I don't know whether CR has tested the smaller, 7 Cup unit, but I doubt their conclusion would be any different than for the larger units. I'm very pleased with mine so far. Very quiet, easy to manage, easy to clean.

The only drawback for the 7 Cup is a lack of accessories, particularly for greater options in slicing and shredding (one disc does all.) But I knew about that when I bought it, and I have no regrets. The appliance is everything I hoped it would be, and more. Great purchase.