Food Processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RE: Using the slicer/shredder disc with the KitchenAid (7 cup)

In order to use the disc, it must be firmly attached to the stem accessory provided with the unit. There is no other use for the stem, so it might be provided as part of a disc replacement, but I don't assume that this is the case, and that might be a problem. It isn't listed as a separate replacement item at the KA store.

Anyway, I did notice at the KA forum that a few people had problems with the stem jamming at the base. It became impossible to remove, and the unit became consequently unusable. After using the disc a few times myself, I've concluded that the jamming at the base results from not firmly securing the disc at the top of the stem. The manual makes it perfectly clear how to do this, but then people will jump right in without reading the manual (as with me, I must admit). Once you get it right, it shouldn't be a problem.

Not only that, but believe it or not, the lid on THAT machine wouldn't lock into position either!! This was a 14-cup model that had that problem though.

I used to have the 14 cup model. Big, heavy thing - I got tired of dragging it from apt. to apt. I finally gave it away during one move. This was about eight years ago; today, I could get a few hundred for it on eBay!

I had trouble with the cover on that unit as well. Always had to wrestle with it.

Then you wouldn't want mine either. The thing ways a ton, not to mention it being expensive! I had to struggle getting the box upstairs.

The 14- cup Cuisinart that I had was the DLC-7Pro, and I guess that IT became tired and wanted to retire as well from the same thing!

I used to have to fight awfully hard to get the cover to turn and lock. One day after trying again for what seemed like the umteenth time, I finally said; "Forget it!!" and went online to look for a new one, and bought the one I have now from Cooking.com.

Last edited:
The 14- cup Cuisinart that I had was the DL-7Pro, and I guess that IT became tired and wanted to retire as well from the same thing!

I used to have to fight awfully hard to get the cover to turn and lock. One day after trying again for what seemed like the umteenth time, I said; "Forget it!!" and went online to look for a new one, and bought the one I have now.

Yeah, precisely! Same problem. I had the DLC-XP; inherited it from my stepmother. It sits on a shelf in a closet in Florida now, at the home of friends. I don't think it gets used very often.

Yeah, precisely! Same problem. I had the DLC-XP; inherited it from my stepmother. It sits on a shelf in a closet in Florida now, at the home of friends. I don't think it gets used very often.

That's Cuisinart's top-of-the-line model. And yes'm, it IS heavy! It also is now twice the price of mine, costing a whopping $800.00! Ouch!!

Last edited:
Can't you get it back?

I mean, nothing against you at all, but if it's sitting in a closet in Florida and is not being used at all, it stands to reason that the person you gave it to doesen't seem to think very highly of it, or the fact that you were nice enough to let him or her have it. Haha!!

And BTW, I would hate to rub salt in your eyes and you'll probably freak out when I say this, but that model is a 20-CUP one.

Shame on you, considering what that machine cost today. Astronomical!! It's more than likely better than the ones made today.

But the same thing happened to me what I gave away MY Cuisinart. I gave it to someone I know, I don't think it ever got used. It probably was sold for money to by crack, nips and cigraetts, along with scratch tickets, since his so-called girlfriend is a crack monster and an alcoloclic (he's an aloholic as well).

I could have kicked myself in the butt for that!! I might as well have kept it and fixed it up. Now it's gone and I'll NEVER get it back!!

Last edited:
It's a 20-cup model? I didn't realize. That's why it was so big and heavy!

Nah, it's gone, now. I really can't ask for it back. I don't need it for myself (my stepmother used to entertain a lot), and I would only be asking for it so I could sell it.

jeyges,
According to Cook Illustrated, KA is better than Cuisinart as a food processor (cutting, slicing, chopping, etc.), Cuisinart is better than KA at making dough.
Consumers Report rated earlier this year KA processors as top choice.
Relative to warranty, the best thing you can do is purchase the appliance and use it as soon and often as possible. This will help you sort out performance problems right away, and replacing it under warranty.
If the 10 yr. warranty is a big thing for you, then check out a brand called 'Magimix' from France. They produce commercial-grade appliances and have 12 yr. warranty on their electric motors. I saw the Magimix 5150 (3,9 & 16 cup bowls, 2-HP motor) for $500 at Chefs catalog.

Not sure if that amount of money on a FP is planned.
Even though the Magimix machines looks like a very futuristic machines and might have the very lastest technological advances in food prep, I do NOT like their feed tubes. They are way too narrow.

If anyone is going to spend that kind of money for those machines, they might as well make sure that the feed tube is wide enough to accomodate large fruits and veggies.

Yes Jeyges, that is Cuisinart's largest and most powerful model. Cuisinart had stopped making it for a while, but then they brought it back. It used to be sold in stores, but it seems now, that it's only available online. Cooking.com sells it in both plastic and metal bases for the same price, if you're interested. Haha!!:LOL:

Your stepmother must have done tons of food prep with it. Back in the '80s, I wanted that model for the large capacity. Would have probably bought it back then, but not now!:ermm:

Wonder if anyone in this day and age would pay that hefty price for one. But I think you'll find a nice model for your needs.

If you're still worried about the warranty on the K'Aid machines, then you might want to look into getting one from Sears where they'll probably offer you an extended warranty on one for a modest price more. I did that when I bought my Kenmore microwave oven.
I bought an addition three-year warranty on it for about $35.00. They usually offer extended warranties on just about everything they sell.:chef:

Last edited:
Food Process and Mixer

Do I need a mixer too? I have a food processor and want to know what is better to make in a mixer than a food processor.

virgo152,
A standing mixer is a great tool for baking/making dough, I use it also for beating white eggs or heavy whipping cream. Note that I use it when I have a large quantity to prepare or when I am short in time and want to do other things simultaneously.
I prefer to do things by hand (cutting with a mandoline and kneading dough by hand), but when time or quantity are a big issue, I use these tools.
The need for them is entirely based on your schedule or cooking habits, I survived many years without them.

Also, if you don't have a food grinder to make ground meat, the food processor can suffice very well.

There are times when I don't use the grinder and the processor does an excellent job of breaking down though fibers and connective tissues to produce butcher-shop-quality ground meat!

I sometimes find that slicing veggies by hand is a pain-in-the-butt when the slices of carrots, cukes and onions start rolling off the cutting board and onto the floor! This tends to happen too often.

And I mainly use one of the stand mixers for making cake batters and cookie doughs. Saves my arms from going through a lot of pain if I were to make the stuff by hand.
Because if I didn't have a mixer, then I wouldn't be baking like I do.

But both the processor and the mixer help eliminate a lot of drudgery and hard labor. So having both is not a bad idea at all.

Last edited:
Late to the show but...

I hated my kitichen aid. I didn't like the way it, looked, worked or anything else. I also hated the storage container for the parts, getting the lid on was a nighmare. I have the cast aluminum cuisinart and love it. I alos, love the adjustable slicer blade, about time someone did that.

As for the plastic cracking that comes from either a dishwasher, never run any clear plastic through the dishwasher, even vita-mix contianers will crack. Always wash by hand. Since doing this I have had no cracking on anythimg.

I had an older version of that Cuis' 14 cup, with all the blades, and it was more than I needed at home. I gave it to the church where I volunteer as host for the homeless shelter, so I still get to use it. I also had a similar KA, and like the Cuis' better. I replaced the Cuis' 14 at home with a Cuis' 11 cup, all the blades, and an old continuous feed chute for bigger jobs. The church is happy and I'm happy.

virgo152,
A standing mixer is a great tool for baking/making dough, I use it also for beating white eggs or heavy whipping cream. Note that I use it when I have a large quantity to prepare or when I am short in time and want to do other things simultaneously.
I prefer to do things by hand (cutting with a mandoline and kneading dough by hand), but when time or quantity are a big issue, I use these tools.
The need for them is entirely based on your schedule or cooking habits, I survived many years without them.

I have both, and use 'em.

Back
Top Bottom