"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Great!! Happy holiday cooking! I know that you'll be quite happy with it.

I was about to tell you that Kohl's has the Classic-Plus on sale this week in their flier.
Thanks. My hubby proceeded to tell me the other night, you have something on the way and I said, uh whats that? He says, well it's something you've been wanting and I picked the black one as I know you would want that color to go with a theme for a new kitchen. Then he says, it'll be here before Christmas. I'm happy that I have my new toy coming as this is what I've been wanting and will wait patiently.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
SueBear et al,
Cooks Illustrated also assessed food processors and mixers.
The KA food processor was considered top choice, specially if you are not planning to use it for mixing dough (the Cuisinart was better at this task)
The KA stand mixer 600 series was the top choice, the Artisant also had a good review.
Cooks Illustrated offers a free 14 day trial for their website. You can sign up and check what you are interested for free.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #33
Executive Chef

The top-of-the-line K'Aid food processor is also availible in onyx black to match your new K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
The top-of-the-line K'Aid food processor is also availible in black to match your new K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer!
Yes, I already thought about that too.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #35
Executive Chef

If you can afford it, get the one with the wide mouth feed tube. It's much better and it accommodates whole fruits and veggies with minimal sectioning.

It has a 12-cup capacity work bowl.

The downside to that is that it's pretty expensive and it costs about $300.00. Ouch!! But you'll get a whole lot of accessories and stuff with it and you won't regret it. It's a very good machine! And it comes with three different size work bowls.

But I think it's well worth it because I just HATE those machines with wimpy small feed tubes!

And here's a pic of it featured at Macy's website; Go to macys.com, type and click food processors in the search box, scrool down until you see the K'Aid Custom Metallic Food Processer and click on it for details. But it's in silver.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

The smaller feed-tube notwithstanding, the 7 cup (with mini-bowl) size is a very convenient appliance to use, and to keep permanently on the counter-top. The larger (12 cup) model is almost twice the weight (20 vs. 10.6 lbs.) -- making it somewhat cumbersome for moving about. Of course, if you need the extra capacity, the larger one will be the choice, but I can't imagine why one or two people would find the 7 cup inadequate. And it is much cheaper, of course.

Re the feed-tube: I find that I don't use it much except when slicing/shredding (i.e., with the disc accessory), when it must be used. Most of the time, I'll place foodstuff directly into the bowl by removing the lid, and then add smaller amounts as necessary through the feed tube. I'm still learning, but really, things have been working out very well so far.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #37
Executive Chef

It all depends on whether the individual cooks a lot, likes to entertain, cooks meals ahead or simply likes to get one in antisipation for the now present holiday season.

I think in both types, there IS a smaller opening for things like carrots, cucumbers, etc..
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Hmm, not sure about the idea of putting out that kind of cash for a FP to be honest as I'm not a commercial chef, just someone who likes quality items. After reading, the KA food processor should do exactly what I want and not cost an arm to purchase plus match the KA Artisan which I am getting.

Since it isn't as if I'm starting a business up and have equity $300 is way out of my range for payment on something so minor. Of course, now if it was a Viking stove on the other hand, let me know who the dealer is and I'll visit his showcase with my truck. You cannot get quality of that kind for less than $2,000 these days at least from what I have looked at with the professional grade.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
SueBear,
I found a brand new -not recondicioned- KA food processor KFPW760 (Wide mouth, 12 cup plus additional 10 and 4 cups bowls) for $100 at a local Home Goods store. The actual cost of the appliance will be $80 since KA is sending a $20 refund on this model.
Be patient and shop around, you may be able to find similar bargain.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear View Post
Hmm, not sure about the idea of putting out that kind of cash for a FP to be honest as I'm not a commercial chef, just someone who likes quality items. After reading, the KA food processor should do exactly what I want and not cost an arm to purchase plus match the KA Artisan which I am getting.

Since it isn't as if I'm starting a business up and have equity $300 is way out of my range for payment on something so minor. Of course, now if it was a Viking stove on the other hand, let me know who the dealer is and I'll visit his showcase with my truck. You cannot get quality of that kind for less than $2,000 these days at least from what I have looked at with the professional grade.

There IS a smaller K'Aid FP that is in the onyx black color. And I saw it in Macy's yesterday. But I can't remember if it's a 7-cup or a 9-cup machine.

But in any case, K'Aid IS good.