"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

A 7 cup w/mini bowl in Onyx Black can be had from
for $116.99 (10% discount) plus free shipping, and a $10.00 rebate from Kitchenaid as well. Best deal I can find so far.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #42
Executive Chef

That's a nice cute little one! Most of K'Aid's FP's come with two and three work bowls.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
That's a nice little one! Most of K'Aid's FP's come with two and three work bowls.
It's the one I've got, in Empire Red. Little, yes, but mid-sized, officially. Plenty of heft at 10.6 lbs, which means it sits solidly on the countertop, without vibrations, but is still light enough to be easily moved to an out-of-the-way corner when not in use. The 3 cup mini bowl comes in very handy for smaller jobs, and I find the 7 cup work bowl plenty big enough for my purposes (but I cook mainly for myself).

The one drawback is that there is one slicer/shredder disc only. I've got no problem with this, but others might. I do recommend this unit, though. For quality of construction, power to spare, ease of use, and cleanability, it's first-rate.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Yeah, I like the way that the website automatically changes the colors of the models for you on the page, saving you the trouble of having to click on a button to see the units in a different color!

I bought the K'Aid Pearl Metallic model because I like to cook and bake - especially for guests and for invites to parties where I usually make something in a large quantity to take to the parties. K'Aid had stopped making this model, maybe because it might not have sold that well.

But it's really very expensive, costing upward of about $450.00. Ouch!!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #45
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
SueBear,
I found a brand new -not recondicioned- KA food processor KFPW760 (Wide mouth, 12 cup plus additional 10 and 4 cups bowls) for $100 at a local Home Goods store. The actual cost of the appliance will be $80 since KA is sending a $20 refund on this model.
Be patient and shop around, you may be able to find similar bargain.
Yep, that's what I figured, I'm just going to wait it out for awhile. Since I'm already getting the one I'm not in a rush for getting any others since I don't have any room with my kitchen at the moment. I do appreciate the link though.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #46
Senior Cook

I just a processor pro II from Black and Decker. I'm learning how to use it.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo152 View Post
I just a processor pro II from Black and Decker. I'm learning how to use it.
Sorry to say but Black and Decker is a bad word in my house. I've had nothing but trouble with their products.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #48
Assistant Cook

I've also been trying to decide between Cuisinart and KitchenAid food processors, and there is one issue that no one in any of the cooking forums ever mentions. KitchenAid provides only a one-year warranty on their appliances. Cuisinart generally gives ten (a couple of the older models that are still in production come with five-year warranties).

There do seem to be more bad reviews posted about Cuisinart's customer service than about KitchenAid's. People complain that if something breaks, they won't send a replacement until you send them the broken part or unit first; that it takes several weeks; that they've been known to send the wrong part, etc. However, if one perseveres, they generally seem to get it right eventually. From what I've read, it would seem that KitchenAid is more responsive and more accommodating (I think they may even pay for shipping), however - ten years vs. one year.

I called KitchenAid and asked one of their customer service reps why they don't provide a longer warranty - naturally, she had no answer, she just sort of stammered that she supposed they felt the quality is such that it isn't necessary. If that's the case, what do they have to lose by providing a longer one? They do sell extended warranties; the rep didn't have any information (which I found disturbing in itself), but she told me that she bought a three or five year warranty for her stand mixer, for thirty dollars. No, thank you.

I think I would probably rather have a KitchenAid model. It comes with a three-cup bowl for smaller jobs, eliminating the need to buy a small model, such as the Cuisinart Mini-Prep. However, I can't get past the warranty issue. I'd even split the difference with them; if KitchenAid provided a five-year warranty, as opposed to Cuisinart's ten, I'd probably go for it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Cuisinart is their only real competitor in this category; I would think they'd want to keep their offerings equivalent.

The bottom line would seem to be that KitchenAid is right there when you need them - but only for a year. Cuisinart may require a little more effort - but they are in it for the long haul.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #49
Assistant Cook

Just to be clear about this: The extended Cuisinart warranty applies to the motor; for the rest of the appliance, a 3 year limited warranty applies. I haven't been able to determine just what the limitations are as yet, but my own experience with limited warranties has not been good; then again, none of that experience is with Cuisinart.

The great majority of warranty issues with a product come up during the first 90 days or so of ownership, and that is why I have never put much faith in the longer, extended warranties. I figure that if I've done my research well, I've purchased a quality product, and if I happen to get a defective one, I'm covered by the short warranty.

So when I went with KitchenAid over Cuisinart, I did so because I was convinced that KA was the better product. Warranties never entered into my thinking, frankly. Maybe that was a mistake, I don't know, but so far I've not been disappointed.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Right you are, Robgrave!! I also like K'Aid much better than Cuisinart.

I would imagine that there are drawbacks to BOTH brands. Longer warranty vs. a shorter one.

But if it eases your mind at all Jeyges, I've had to replace the work bowl and cover at least 3 times on a Cuisinart food processor - which can be pretty **** expensive in terms of the poor quality they put into these parts and having to replace them too frequently. The motor lasted forever, but I was just tired of replacing the bowl and cover and paying astronomical prices to do so.

However, I can attest to the fact that K'Aid's machines DO have a much thicker tougher and heavier work bowl, pusher assembly and cover for their machines. They've accidentally fallen out of the dish rack or out of my hands and have hit the floor quite hard several times, and not even so much as one scratch was on them.

Whew!! Boy! I just have to thank my lucky stars that the machine and its bowls are really rugged and impact-free!! They can truly take a whipping and keep on whipping, beating, slicing, shredding and chopping!!

And these are the parts that usually break first on a food processor.