"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Right, I meant to mention that - the ten-year warranty is on the motor. Parts are three years.

I once broke the motor on my cousin's old Cuisinart, years ago (when they were supposedly making them better, before they were purchased by Conair), just by grating cheese. We could have used the ten year warranty then! They weren't providing them in those days. Strange - now that the quality is supposedly inferior, they're providing longer warranties. I imagine they think it still costs them less in the long run.

I don't know what to think about the relative quality of the two lines. Someone at Amazon said that a salesperson told her that Sabatier used to make the blades for Cuisinart, but is no longer doing so, and I think she said that they still are proving them for KA. But then, someone else said that the blades on the KA seemed flimsier.

People have been complaining about the leakage issue with KA's, but Cook's Illustrated did experience it and didn't seem to think it was that big a deal. Cuisinarts also have a problem with liquid, supposedly - more than about 2 cups, and it leaks out of the top. Their models have a line on the bowl telling you how much liquid you can add safely.

A friend has a KitchenAid and hates it. She told me that the cover closes differently than it does on a Cuisnart, and she finds it extremely difficult to operate. Macy's had a sale on the old DLC-8S ProCustom 11-cup model a couple of weeks ago; I picked one up for her for $100. She couldn't be happier. She won't even give the KitchenAid away, as she doesn't want someone else to be burdened with it - she hates it that much.

I did also check out the KitchenAid forum. It was very bizarre - they all seem to be fanatics. They just talk continually about how wonderful KitchenAid products are, and how clever they are to realize it. And they trash Cuisinart. Once in a while, someone will say, "Wait a minute, I have a Cuisinart this-or-that, and I think it's a good product.", and the rest of them will immediately jump all over him or her and say, "Just wait until you have to call customer service!", or some such thing. It's a cult-like atmosphere; I found it very off-putting.

Something else as well - KA does offer more accessories than Cuisinart does - except for the 7-cup model, for which, as robgrave pointed out, they only offer the one blade and two discs. They do offer a citrus press, but no other blades or discs. I looked at their site; you can't even order a replacement if you break one of the discs; only the blade is available. If I were to go with the KA, I'd have to get the 9-cup model. Cuisinart, on the other hand, offers a full range of attachments (although not as many as KA) on all of their models except for the 3-cup ones - the Mini Prep and Handy Prep.

KA just seems to be a strange company.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Guess you must go with what you feel the most comfortable with.

The Sabatier chopping blade WAS or still is included with Cuisinart and K'Aid machines, and also, was once featured with Robot Coupe models.

Another problem that I had with Cuisinart is that the SS blade also cracked, as did the drive stem for the disks. The cover became extremely difficult to turn and lock onto the work bowl.

Cleaning the motor base of a Cuisinart is also a monumental task in and of itself. You have a lot of dirt-catching crevices to have to deal with, whereas, with K'Aid, the area where the work bowls sits, there are fewer crevices thare, making cleanup a breeze.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
The cover became extremely difficult to turn and lock onto the work bowl.
That was part of the problem my friend had with the KitchenAid! I think, after a while, they all develop this.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #54
Executive Chef

Part of the reason that I said the first signs of issues start with the work bowl and cover.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Cleaning the motor base of a Cuisinart is also a monumental task in and of itself. You have a lot of dirt-catching crevices to have to deal with, whereas, with K'Aid, the area where the work bowls sits, there are fewer crevices thare, making cleanup a breeze.
Have you found this to be true with the newer, rounder Cuisinart body style as well?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

Actually, Jeyges, it sounds as though it's more than just a warranty issue standing between you and a KitchenAid purchase

But again, just for clarification, the KA 7 cup/w mini bowl comes with two blades (one for each bowl) and one reversible slicer/shredder disc. Both blades and the disc are available as replacement items from the KA store. They are not cheap replacements, I should say, but I don't anticipate that I'll be in need of them anytime soon. Anyway, they are there if you need them.

I don't know why anyone would find the KA difficult to use, but I did notice that my sister (who has a Cuisinart herself) found it awkward in trying mine out. Habits that develop with one appliance can prove to transfer not so well to another, I suppose.

But, as Corey123 says, you will have to decide for yourself which is the better purchase. I hope I don't sound like a "fanatic" when I recommend my KA, but my sister likes her Cuisinart too, to be honest about it.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

No, I don't think that everyone who prefers KitchenAid products is a fanatic! It's just a creepy atmosphere over there on their boards.

I'm sorry, you're right - it is a reversible disc (about which I have reservations), and they do make it available. There's just no image, and I looked quickly and missed it.

And the parts aren't even that pricey; they're less than the equivalent parts for the Cuisinart 7-cup - although Cuisinart makes a lot more parts available for that model.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Thank you, Robgrave.

About the only problem that I found with K'Aid, and someone else here mentioned it as well and Robgrave, you might have noticed it also, is that you MUST make sure that the pusher assembly in in contact with the interlock system When you are about to slice or shred something.

The pusher is designed in such a way that without it reaching the activating lever which is probably at the halfway point down the feed tube, the machine wil NOT come on.

I find myself having to cut bell pepper halves again so that they fit comfortably to allow the machine to start.

NEVER EVER try to force the pusher down to meet the activating lever!!! Not that you would, but; Something could break, which might mean an expensive repair or replacement of something! Cutting the item again with your kife isn't much of a problem, and it could safe you untold amounts of $$$'s over something being broken for a small but worthy inconvenience.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #59
Assistant Cook

Corey,

Re: cleaning the Cuisinart - Have you found this to be a problem with the newer body style as well?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #60
Executive Chef

I haven't looked.

I guess because I was no longer interested in buying a Cuisinart machine. I'll check next time I'm in a store that has them on display.

Incidently, I WAS in Macy's the other day looking at FP's just for kicks and giggles. I DID however, look at some of the Cuisinart models, and yes, I belive that the same crevices are STILL there.

Not only that, but believe it or not, the lid on THAT machine wouldn't lock into position either!! This was a 14-cup model that had that problem though.