"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #71
Senior Cook

Food Process and Mixer

Do I need a mixer too? I have a food processor and want to know what is better to make in a mixer than a food processor.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #72
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
virgo152,
A standing mixer is a great tool for baking/making dough, I use it also for beating white eggs or heavy whipping cream. Note that I use it when I have a large quantity to prepare or when I am short in time and want to do other things simultaneously.
I prefer to do things by hand (cutting with a mandoline and kneading dough by hand), but when time or quantity are a big issue, I use these tools.
The need for them is entirely based on your schedule or cooking habits, I survived many years without them.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Also, if you don't have a food grinder to make ground meat, the food processor can suffice very well.

There are times when I don't use the grinder and the processor does an excellent job of breaking down though fibers and connective tissues to produce butcher-shop-quality ground meat!

I sometimes find that slicing veggies by hand is a pain-in-the-butt when the slices of carrots, cukes and onions start rolling off the cutting board and onto the floor! This tends to happen too often.

And I mainly use one of the stand mixers for making cake batters and cookie doughs. Saves my arms from going through a lot of pain if I were to make the stuff by hand.
Because if I didn't have a mixer, then I wouldn't be baking like I do.

But both the processor and the mixer help eliminate a lot of drudgery and hard labor. So having both is not a bad idea at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #74
Cook

Late to the show but...

I hated my kitichen aid. I didn't like the way it, looked, worked or anything else. I also hated the storage container for the parts, getting the lid on was a nighmare. I have the cast aluminum cuisinart and love it. I alos, love the adjustable slicer blade, about time someone did that.

As for the plastic cracking that comes from either a dishwasher, never run any clear plastic through the dishwasher, even vita-mix contianers will crack. Always wash by hand. Since doing this I have had no cracking on anythimg.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #75
Sous Chef

I had an older version of that Cuis' 14 cup, with all the blades, and it was more than I needed at home. I gave it to the church where I volunteer as host for the homeless shelter, so I still get to use it. I also had a similar KA, and like the Cuis' better. I replaced the Cuis' 14 at home with a Cuis' 11 cup, all the blades, and an old continuous feed chute for bigger jobs. The church is happy and I'm happy.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #76
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
virgo152,
A standing mixer is a great tool for baking/making dough, I use it also for beating white eggs or heavy whipping cream. Note that I use it when I have a large quantity to prepare or when I am short in time and want to do other things simultaneously.
I prefer to do things by hand (cutting with a mandoline and kneading dough by hand), but when time or quantity are a big issue, I use these tools.
The need for them is entirely based on your schedule or cooking habits, I survived many years without them.
I have both, and use 'em.