Food processor advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanieA

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I have to follow a soft food diet because of jaw problems I have and I would like some of your opinions on which food processor to purchase especially for meat grinding?

I tried putting some cooked chicken and rice in my blender the other day but it just made a nasty looking puree.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have to follow a soft food diet because of jaw problems I have and I would like some of your opinions on which food processor to purchase especially for meat grinding?

I tried putting some cooked chicken and rice in my blender the other day but it just made a nasty looking puree.

Thanks!

Pureed food looks nasty regardless of the machine you use. Blenders need liquid to make them work. FP can handle dry(er) ingredients.

The top contenders in the reasonable price range are Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid.

I have both a Cuisinart and a KA food processer, and they will grind rocks. Very well-made. The KA, while smaller, is my go-to food processer. I agree with Andy.

A thought, can you contact a local nursing home dietician and get recipes for palatable ground food? When I worked at a nursing home many years ago and had to help with feeding, the food looked really good even though it was pureed.

Another thought would be baby food. Huge variety.

Hope you're back to chewing soon, and welcome to DC!

Last edited:
No matter what you whirl in either a food processor or blender, it's going to look like "nasty puree". Does it have to be pureed? Can it be cooked very soft instead? You can break noodles up into very small pieces or use the smallest pasta, cooking it past package recommendation to a nice soft stage, then add sauces. Ditto some veggies. Not knowing just how bad the jaw problems are, it's hard to make more suggestions but I would puree the least possible (meats) and cook as much as possible very, very soft.
My CuisienArt will chop almost anything.

I cook foods the way I always do and them put them in the food processor. I have a Cuisinart. Be sure to only put one part of the meal in at a time. Don't put it all in the processor at the same time.

Cook your steak or chicken same as always. Pulse the processor, do not whirl it, you just want it finely chopped. Once chopped serve it with your sauce etc you would like. Same with veg and pasta etc, cook those a little past done to make them softer but not mushy. Lots of gravy and sauces make it easier to swallow, too!

Good luck! Holler if you need more help. I hope your jaw problems are fixed soon.

Last edited:
From personal experience, I strongly suggest refurbished Cuisinart appliances, including your basic food processor. The cost is about half that of a new unit. HERE is a pretty good selection.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks!
Mine's a Magimix and about 30 years old. It's the biggest they made back then, as a small "family" processor is the work of the devil - not big enough for anything. The latest Magimixes have a set of bowls of different sizes and do everything bar make a cup of tea. They are not cheap but last forever.

Blenders are really only suitable for liquidising food such as soup, mayo, etc., and you have more control ov er a processor.

Food processors are not really designed to mince meat... like you found, you end up with mush.

I noticed in my Kitchenaid food processor manual that you must FREEZE the meat first...not until its solid...only 30 mins or so... but the harder the meat is the better it will 'chop' instead of 'mush'.

Never actually tried it, but you may want to give it a go?

As PF said, pulsing is your answer. Keep an eye on it. Start with just a few pulses. Are the pieces small enough yet? No? Then a couple of more pulses. Continue in this manner until they are the size you can swallow them without chewing. Also, to keep your meals interesting, don't toss everything in together. Different foods require different amount of pulses. Soft veggies like green beans only require about three pulses, whereas meat requires more. For myself, I wouldn't put gravy in while processing. It only hastens the mushiness. Heat up the gravy in the zapper and add it after your food is on your plate.

If you pulse carefully, you can end up with a plate of food that is appealing and looks like it was meant for a toddler. Not a newborn. :angel:

Food processors are not really designed to mince meat... like you found, you end up with mush.

I noticed in my Kitchenaid food processor manual that you must FREEZE the meat first...not until its solid...only 30 mins or so... but the harder the meat is the better it will 'chop' instead of 'mush'.

Never actually tried it, but you may want to give it a go?
My Magimix chops meat very well. I don't get mush. Are you putting too much in at once?

Back
Top Bottom