Food processor day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And don't forget, at some point, they grow up and move away. My mother got a dishwasher right after I moved away...and, for those without children who do a lot of cooking and have gadgets to wash, a dishwasher is a really nice appliance to have.

And don't forget, at some point, they grow up and move away. My mother got a dishwasher right after I moved away...and, for those without children who do a lot of cooking and have gadgets to wash, a dishwasher is a really nice appliance to have.
I think my biggest (and busiest) kitchen gadget IS my dishwasher! :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll start calling the following:

BEEFburgers
CHIPS or FRITES
Tube Steaks

If you admit that you're not making "Ham Salad", you're making BOLOGNA salad. ;)

Okay if you insist, but, then I'll have to give up the designation of being Frank Z's grandmother and I don't want to part from it.:LOL:

It just tastes better with bologna.:LOL:
Just for giggles:
How about a HAMburger? Made from ham?
How about french fries, made from french people?
Hot dogs, made from dogs?
:angel:

Hamburger - named for the city in Germany, not the pork product

French Fries - fried in the French manner, does not promote cannibalism

Hot Dogs - yes, once made from dog meat.

Andy M. said:
Hamburger - named for the city in Germany, not the pork product

French Fries - fried in the French manner, does not promote cannibalism

Hot Dogs - yes, once made from dog meat.

Hmm.... I've always been lead to believe hot dogs were originally called "Dachshund sandwiches" due to how the sausage looks on the bun, and it evolved into "hot dog" because of someone who couldn't spell Dachshund. Never seen/heard anything from a reliable source that they used to be made of dog meat.

Hmm.... I've always been lead to believe hot dogs were originally called "Dachshund sandwiches" due to how the sausage looks on the bun, and it evolved into "hot dog" because of someone who couldn't spell Dachshund. Never seen/heard anything from a reliable source that they used to be made of dog meat.

That's true. It happened in NYC. A sports writer couldn't spell dachshund so called them hot dogs. But it's also true that in old time Germany, eating dog meat in sausage form was common. And maybe that's why they originally got he name Dachshund in the first place!

Andy M. said:
That's true. It happened in NYC. A sports writer couldn't spell dachshund so called them hot dogs. But it's also true that in old time Germany, eating dog meat in sausage form was common.

Sounds reasonable- I'm sure dog meat was cheap. I thought you were saying that's why they're called hot dogs though :)

One day I ran the dishwasher twice. I mentioned that on Facebook, and a friend says she sometimes runs 3 and 4 loads a day.

I was pretty aghast - is the dishwasher meant to be used like that? I mean, it's not laundry for a family ...

Andy M. said:
I was, with tongue firmly in cheek.

Lol sorry I tend to take things very literally. Sometimes my extremely sarcastic co-workers find it very frustrating, other times they use it to their advantage and get a kick out of me going wide eyed and saying "Seriously??!!" :D

Lol sorry I tend to take things very literally. Sometimes my extremely sarcastic co-workers find it very frustrating, other times they use it to their advantage and get a kick out of me going wide eyed and saying "Seriously??!!" :D

I do the same thing.

One day I ran the dishwasher twice. I mentioned that on Facebook, and a friend says she sometimes runs 3 and 4 loads a day.

I was pretty aghast - is the dishwasher meant to be used like that? I mean, it's not laundry for a family ...
:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I run mine 2-3 x per week. About as many loads of laundry I do some weeks :yum:. I have way too many clothes, sets of sheets, and towels. If I every had all my clothes clean at one time, I could compete with the woman's section of a department store...

I don't think using an appliance a few times a week is too much. I just didn't think they were able to withstand practically constant use, and 4 loads a day, every day, just sounds like too much for a household appliance. It sounds more for a commercial use - restaurant or some such.

Friends with big families end up replacing their washing machines. I guess dishwashers aren't forever, either.

I replaced my DW after ten years of using it about once a day on average. I always run it full. I have to believe running a DW four times a day means it's never a full load, which is wasteful on a couple of levels.

On the other hand, you use an appliance as much as you need it. Some need it more, some less. No crime in that.

I replaced my DW after ten years of using it about once a day on average. I always run it full. I have to believe running a DW four times a day means it's never a full load, which is wasteful on a couple of levels.

On the other hand, you use an appliance as much as you need it. Some need it more, some less. No crime in that.
Funny, when I read this I was thinking in terms of DC parlance where "DW" translates to "dear wife". :LOL:

I, too, bought the 3 bowl Cuisinart when my old one died this year. Yes, on Steve's recommendation. How great it is. You can go from one job to another without having to wash in between. I cannot remember all that I was doing one day last week, but I used all three bowls, the small chopper blade, and both the adjustable slicer and the grater. This appliance replaced two that I'd had before.

I, too, immediately thought dear wife when I saw DW. But I have to say I have an excellent dishwasher --DH. When we were both gainfully employed, we both cooked. Part of our marriage agreement was s/he who cooks does not wash. Somewhere along the 30 years since, I pick up almost all cooking, he almost all washing up. We've had rotten luck with dishwashers, so gave up on them. Oh, big meals are the exception to the rule. If it is a huge, company-involved meal, I try to wash as I go, and change the sink water more often. We'll find ourselves (for example, the morning after a party, after Thanksgiving, etc) with many sinks full of dishes, and when this happens, whenever one of us gets up we either wash or take care of a drying rack full of dishes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom