"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Sounds reasonable- I'm sure dog meat was cheap. I thought you were saying that's why they're called hot dogs though :)
I was, with tongue firmly in cheek.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
Sous Chef

One day I ran the dishwasher twice. I mentioned that on Facebook, and a friend says she sometimes runs 3 and 4 loads a day.

I was pretty aghast - is the dishwasher meant to be used like that? I mean, it's not laundry for a family ...

Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

I was, with tongue firmly in cheek.
Lol sorry I tend to take things very literally. Sometimes my extremely sarcastic co-workers find it very frustrating, other times they use it to their advantage and get a kick out of me going wide eyed and saying "Seriously??!!" :D
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Lol sorry I tend to take things very literally. Sometimes my extremely sarcastic co-workers find it very frustrating, other times they use it to their advantage and get a kick out of me going wide eyed and saying "Seriously??!!" :D

I do the same thing.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
One day I ran the dishwasher twice. I mentioned that on Facebook, and a friend says she sometimes runs 3 and 4 loads a day.

I was pretty aghast - is the dishwasher meant to be used like that? I mean, it's not laundry for a family ...
I run mine 2-3 x per week. About as many loads of laundry I do some weeks . I have way too many clothes, sets of sheets, and towels. If I every had all my clothes clean at one time, I could compete with the woman's section of a department store...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
Sous Chef

I don't think using an appliance a few times a week is too much. I just didn't think they were able to withstand practically constant use, and 4 loads a day, every day, just sounds like too much for a household appliance. It sounds more for a commercial use - restaurant or some such.

Friends with big families end up replacing their washing machines. I guess dishwashers aren't forever, either.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I replaced my DW after ten years of using it about once a day on average. I always run it full. I have to believe running a DW four times a day means it's never a full load, which is wasteful on a couple of levels.

On the other hand, you use an appliance as much as you need it. Some need it more, some less. No crime in that.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #38
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I replaced my DW after ten years of using it about once a day on average. I always run it full. I have to believe running a DW four times a day means it's never a full load, which is wasteful on a couple of levels.

On the other hand, you use an appliance as much as you need it. Some need it more, some less. No crime in that.
Funny, when I read this I was thinking in terms of DC parlance where "DW" translates to "dear wife".
Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Funny, when I read this I was thinking in terms of DC parlance where "DW" translates to "dear wife".
Steve, it took me longer to replace THAT DW.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #40
Master Chef

I, too, bought the 3 bowl Cuisinart when my old one died this year. Yes, on Steve's recommendation. How great it is. You can go from one job to another without having to wash in between. I cannot remember all that I was doing one day last week, but I used all three bowls, the small chopper blade, and both the adjustable slicer and the grater. This appliance replaced two that I'd had before.

I, too, immediately thought dear wife when I saw DW. But I have to say I have an excellent dishwasher --DH. When we were both gainfully employed, we both cooked. Part of our marriage agreement was s/he who cooks does not wash. Somewhere along the 30 years since, I pick up almost all cooking, he almost all washing up. We've had rotten luck with dishwashers, so gave up on them. Oh, big meals are the exception to the rule. If it is a huge, company-involved meal, I try to wash as I go, and change the sink water more often. We'll find ourselves (for example, the morning after a party, after Thanksgiving, etc) with many sinks full of dishes, and when this happens, whenever one of us gets up we either wash or take care of a drying rack full of dishes.

Tags
food