"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Head Chef

Food processor day

The only thing I don't like about my food processor is that it is so many pieces that have to be washed afterwards.
I needed some pickles ground up to make relish, some ham salad, some bolognaise/bolognese sauce and some laundry soap made.

Started with the bolognaise sauce. Ground up some onions and carrots and garlic to saute, then added the ground beef, tomato sauce, dehydrated tomatoes blended in a blender with beef broth, mushrooms, spices, S&P, a little sugar. It turned out lovely. Rinsed out the processor.

Ham salad: Then, ground up the pickles and put most of them in a container in the refrigerator. Left a few in the processor and added the bologna, sweet pickles and mayo, a good ham salad for sandwiches this week.

Laundry Soap: Then rinsed the processor out and I needed to shred soap for laundry detergent. I found out that my well cured homemade soaps, are so hard and break processor parts, but microwaving them softens them up and they won't break the processor. So I microwaved 3 bars at a time (about 12 ounces) for 45 seconds and it makes a huge difference. I made about 5 batches worth--saved in zip lock bags for future use. Then just boil the 12 oz. of soap in a gallon of water, add a cup of each borax and washing soda and dilute with 2 more gallons of water. It jells up and makes enough laundry soap for 3-6 months.

The processor and myself got a good work out!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I would say so!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Ham salad: Then, ground up the pickles and put most of them in a container in the refrigerator. Left a few in the processor and added the bologna, sweet pickles and mayo, a good ham salad for sandwiches this week.
So you made ham salad by starting out with bologna? Intriguing...
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Frank! You've found your grandmother!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

Yes dear grandson, that's how you make ham salad.
I always loved your signature.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I don't know what kind of FP you have, but my Cuis' has an optional disk with fine teeth on it that work perfectly for grating hard cheeses like parm and romano. Would probably make good soap powder out of hard soap, too. Prolly grate a little soap in between the other tasks to save dish soap for wash up.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I don't know what kind of FP you have, but my Cuis' has an optional disk with fine teeth on it that work perfectly for grating hard cheeses like parm and romano. Would probably make good soap powder out of hard soap, too. Prolly grate a little soap in between the other tasks to save dish soap for wash up.
I have two identical hamilton beach FPs. Both now have broken plastic parts on them(due to grating soap), both motors are good. I'll keep the cuisinart in mind for the next time I buy one.

I always have to laugh when someone says, "what should I use to clean the soap off this thing"..........um......it's soap!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Sous Chef

All gadgets need to be washed. I hate that.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
All gadgets need to be washed. I hate that.

So true, because if you use something that isn't a gadget to do food prep, you never have to wash it...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Wine Guy

I have to say that I love my new Cuisinart. It has three interlocking bowls, which is nice because if you plan things right, you can usually do all of your FP work without rinsing anything. As you finish with each bowl, just remove it, and move on to the next one. At most, you may have to rinse a blade off.

And when everything's done, it all goes in the dishwasher.

Tags
food