Food processor day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
The only thing I don't like about my food processor is that it is so many pieces that have to be washed afterwards.
I needed some pickles ground up to make relish, some ham salad, some bolognaise/bolognese sauce and some laundry soap made.

Started with the bolognaise sauce. Ground up some onions and carrots and garlic to saute, then added the ground beef, tomato sauce, dehydrated tomatoes blended in a blender with beef broth, mushrooms, spices, S&P, a little sugar. It turned out lovely. Rinsed out the processor.

Ham salad: Then, ground up the pickles and put most of them in a container in the refrigerator. Left a few in the processor and added the bologna, sweet pickles and mayo, a good ham salad for sandwiches this week.

Laundry Soap: Then rinsed the processor out and I needed to shred soap for laundry detergent. I found out that my well cured homemade soaps, are so hard and break processor parts, but microwaving them softens them up and they won't break the processor. So I microwaved 3 bars at a time (about 12 ounces) for 45 seconds and it makes a huge difference. I made about 5 batches worth--saved in zip lock bags for future use. Then just boil the 12 oz. of soap in a gallon of water, add a cup of each borax and washing soda and dilute with 2 more gallons of water. It jells up and makes enough laundry soap for 3-6 months.

The processor and myself got a good work out!

Ham salad: Then, ground up the pickles and put most of them in a container in the refrigerator. Left a few in the processor and added the bologna, sweet pickles and mayo, a good ham salad for sandwiches this week.

So you made ham salad by starting out with bologna? Intriguing... :ROFLMAO:

I don't know what kind of FP you have, but my Cuis' has an optional disk with fine teeth on it that work perfectly for grating hard cheeses like parm and romano. Would probably make good soap powder out of hard soap, too. Prolly grate a little soap in between the other tasks to save dish soap for wash up.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of FP you have, but my Cuis' has an optional disk with fine teeth on it that work perfectly for grating hard cheeses like parm and romano. Would probably make good soap powder out of hard soap, too. Prolly grate a little soap in between the other tasks to save dish soap for wash up.

I have two identical hamilton beach FPs. Both now have broken plastic parts on them(due to grating soap), both motors are good. I'll keep the cuisinart in mind for the next time I buy one.

I always have to laugh when someone says, "what should I use to clean the soap off this thing"..........um......it's soap!:LOL:

I have to say that I love my new Cuisinart. It has three interlocking bowls, which is nice because if you plan things right, you can usually do all of your FP work without rinsing anything. As you finish with each bowl, just remove it, and move on to the next one. At most, you may have to rinse a blade off.

And when everything's done, it all goes in the dishwasher.

All gadgets need to be washed. I hate that.
And that was my argument for why I had to have a dishwasher--the food processor parts and the juicer. Unfortunately, the built-in dishwasher I picked up for the house in the City is too deep for the location where I wanted to put it...so I'll have to bring the portable back from the farm and figure out a spot to park it. I'm not living without a dishwasher again! I still do the dishes by hand, but the FP, juicer, and food mill all go in the dishwasher.

So you made ham salad by starting out with bologna? Intriguing... :ROFLMAO:

I too have to say that this is the first time I've heard of this. Have been making Ham Salad for decades now, & always use - well - ham.

I too have to say that this is the first time I've heard of this. Have been making Ham Salad for decades now, & always use - well - ham.

It just tastes better with bologna.:LOL:
Just for giggles:
How about a HAMburger? Made from ham?
How about french fries, made from french people?
Hot dogs, made from dogs?
:angel:

I use a microplane grater to grind my soap for my home made laundry soap. Works great! I definitely wouldn't mind doing it in a FP tho... It would certainly be easier.

I use a microplane grater to grind my soap for my home made laundry soap. Works great! I definitely wouldn't mind doing it in a FP tho... It would certainly be easier.

Skittle--I've used the FP and the soap just rattles it because it is so hard to grate. After 45 seconds in the microwave, it shreds like cheese instead of rocks. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. I shredded much more soap, packaged it in 12 to 16 oz per ziplock bag--clean clothes for the rest of my life.

It just tastes better with bologna.:LOL:
Just for giggles:
How about a HAMburger? Made from ham?
How about french fries, made from french people?
Hot dogs, made from dogs?
:angel:

Okay, I'll start calling the following:

BEEFburgers
CHIPS or FRITES
Tube Steaks

If you admit that you're not making "Ham Salad", you're making BOLOGNA salad. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom