Food Processor help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stark

Assistant Cook
Hi,

Since everyone here was so helpful and knowledgeable in the past I thought I would post as I need some help in regards to food processors.

I need to find a food processor to help me in the kitchen. I have never used one before but since my stroke I cannot stand for as long as I used to chopping and such, so need a way to make this part of the job simpler and much less time consuming.

I tend to cook army style when I cook. People always say, "oh this is a good recipe, it halves well" and my response is "yes but how does it quadruple?". LOL!

I make a lot of food that I would say is country, home-style or rustic. Stews with large chunks of carrots and potatoes etc. When I make something though it usually has 5lbs of carrot and 5 lbs of potatoes etc, so even chopping that large a size piece is taking too long and is tiring.

I need to find a way to automate this and cut down the time. I am looking at food processors, and have watched the videos for a bunch online, and it seems to me they all chop relatively small. Looking at the Cuisinart and Kitchenaid sites I do not see blades that will do say a 1" chop. Perhaps there is a different technique with these machines to achieve this, I do not know.

I have considered the possibility of a Mandoline, but for safety reasons for me I think the processor is more ideal.

So... can I achieve what I want with one of these machines? or can you suggest an alternate?

Just for info, the two I am leaning towards are the Cuisinart Elite 14 Cup FP-14 and the Kitchenaid Pro Line 16 Cup KPFP850OB. Both seem to be ideal for handling the volumes I like to work with, but the Cuisinart seems to have a better warranty at 20 years for the motor and 3 for the parts as opposed to 2 years for the Kitchenaid.

I appreciate all responses.

Stark

I don't think either of them (or even a mandoline) is going to go to 1" for you unfortunately. If memory serves 6mm is about as thick a slice as either will do.

If your mobility is impaired, another thing to consider is that both of these machines are very tall. You'll have to be able to get above it. I have the KitchenAid 12 cup, and the feed tube on it is pretty high, I imagine the 16 cup is even taller.

If you really want 1" slices, you might consider a small disc slicer.

When I was choosing machines, the Elite's hadn't come out yet, but that's what I would choose right now. The KitchenAid's are a bit cheaper, but the warranty, the beautiful die cast base, better liquid handling and a mechanism for retaining the blade in the bowl while pouring from it, make the Cuisinart a really strong contender.

You are asking the FP to do something it's not designed to do.

FPs can slice, shred and puree. The can't cut vegetables into 1" chunks. I don't think a mandolin can do that either.

Good luck with your search.

Hi James,

Mobility is good as is dexterity, it is just fatigue from standing too long as I favour the one side not affected. I am 6'3" so the height is not an issue thankfully, nor is the weight.

If you really want 1" slices, you might consider a small disc slicer.

Can you elaborate on that? I have never heard of that item.

tks

OK, thanks.

Well I guess there is not really anything out there that will automate my process, will just have to stick with the knives for some things.

Can these machines do onions finely chopped, taking that out of the job pool? I can adjust the celery sizing down to what the machines do, so that is less work too.

...I tend to cook army style when I cook. People always say, "oh this is a good recipe, it halves well" and my response is "yes but how does it quadruple?". LOL!

I make a lot of food that I would say is country, home-style or rustic. Stews with large chunks of carrots and potatoes etc. When I make something though it usually has 5lbs of carrot and 5 lbs of potatoes etc, so even chopping that large a size piece is taking too long and is tiring.

So... can I achieve what I want with one of these machines? or can you suggest an alternate? Stark
Hi Stark...Yes, I too question whether a processor can cut "large chunks". I'm guessing that if you cook 5 lbs of carrots and 5 lbs of potatoes for a meal then you are sharing with others. Perhaps those others could do the chopping for you. It's hard to delegate responsibilities when we prefer to do it our own way but sometimes we have to try to get over that and ask for help when it can relieve stress from overwhelming jobs. Sometimes the act of delegating creates teamwork which creates closer relationships. Sounds like you're a generous cook. All the best to you :)

Hi,

There is only myself and my wife. I cook and she does not, she has enough to do. We tend to freeze a large amount and just keep a few days worth of a meal.

So sadly there is no one to delegate to, the cooking is 100% my job.

I understand, Stark, and I applaud you for your "where-there's-a-will-there's-a-way" determination and your consideration for your wife...very thoughtful of you.

Can these machines do onions finely chopped, taking that out of the job pool? I can adjust the celery sizing down to what the machines do, so that is less work too.

You betcha. Chopping, grating and slicing are the strong points of a food processor.

OK, thanks.

Well I guess there is not really anything out there that will automate my process, will just have to stick with the knives for some things.

Stark, look for frozen chopped onions in the frozen vegetables section of the supermarket. Also available are chopped frozen bell peppers.

I recently picked up the Cuisinart ELITE collection, in a 12 cup version. I LOVE this processor. I am addicted to it, using it every day! It does chopping, slicing, processing etc. I'd google it to learn more. It's amazing!

Tks Sandy, I have watched the video on their site and the one on youtube. I am getting more familiar with it and thanks to the fine members here the limitations of FP's in general.

Spent the past couple of hours calling around, no one has any of the 14cup ones locally, and the 16cup from William Sonoma is $430 here in Canada instead of $299 in the US. Currently the exchange would only put that at $312can, but the US WS stores will not sell into Canada. :rolleyes:

I found the same problem! So.... what did I do? I ordered it off eBay, from Ohio!

Tks Sandy, I have watched the video on their site and the one on youtube. I am getting more familiar with it and thanks to the fine members here the limitations of FP's in general.

Spent the past couple of hours calling around, no one has any of the 14cup ones locally, and the 16cup from William Sonoma is $430 here in Canada instead of $299 in the US. Currently the exchange would only put that at $312can, but the US WS stores will not sell into Canada. :rolleyes:

I have found a website called Chefs that has to for $381.47 to my door shipping and taxes and duty all in....

Anyone dealt with Chefs? are they good?

if a 1/2 inch cut will work for you ,might a "Lincoln onion king " work for you ? It doesn't care if you cut carrot potatoe or onions. just google it ,manual but fairly easy due to leverage, it has two rows of blades and i suppose one set could be removed to get a one inch cut. I realize it is a long shot but you never know , it cleans up easy ,no parts to assemble , food processers tend to take as long to clean as to do the work , Gage

Thanks gage, I think with this along with a food processor most of my needs will met quite nicely. I will keep my eye out for one.

when i have a cooking party as opposed to a pot luck or sushi making night , people do want to be the one to pull the handle down ,it is cool , I don't use it alot but my friends call it MR ONION . wjthout going to look i think mine makes 1/8 " slices. so that's two rows of 1/4 ' blades.
I think my kids are in negotiations on who will end up with it, I often buy high end things in pairs so as not to cause a problem when I'm gone. regards gage

Back
Top Bottom