"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Food Processor Rant!

Why is it that all of the FP I have seen, the lids do not install properly. Or should I say "righty tighty, lefty loosy". They are all backwards. Look at Emeril or even Flay when they use one...every time ther is a problem because the way you turn the lid or container on, it's backwards. Does anyone know of a FP that assembles correctly?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook

If it makes you feel any better, My son who is a mechanical engineer was just saying something about this subject to the Cusinart. My goodness the words these kids learn while at college, glad Mom was gone at the time.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

So I am not crazy. The food processor is the ONLY THING (besides lug nuts from an old car from the 50's) that screws together BACKWARDS!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Cook

There is a reason for left threaded lug-nuts, the FP was invented by the french. So it may not make sense to us mortals.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
Cook

There are left hand threads on the cranks of my pedal bikes, on the axles of my motorcycles, and on my acetylene tank.

The food processor assembles they way it does so the friction of the food on the walls, caused by the counter-clockwise rotation of the blade, as seen from the top, tightens the bowl rather than loosens it. If it assembled the other way it would likely open itself and turn off when making bread dough. So the real question is why does the motor turn counter-clockwise? Probably because back when Robot Coupe made the first food processors that's what was available off the shelf.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'll have to give the TV chefs and cooking demonstrators a little break here ... (1) they are probably not the ones in the kitchen using the FP on a frequent basis and, (2) they are generally working with the front of the machine pointed towards the audience - away from them - so they are trying to do it backwards.

Like Veloce said - everything has to be biased in the same direction - or it would come apart. If your bowl and lid attached CW (clockwise) and the blade turned CCW (counter clockwise) it would work itself apart.

Blame the French who invented the thing. It must have been a design thing. It doesn't take much to reverse the direction the motor spins (all you have to do is swap a couple of wires).

No - I do not know of a FP that is "righty-tighty lefty-loosey".
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce
There are left hand threads on the cranks of my pedal bikes, on the axles of my motorcycles, and on my acetylene tank.

The food processor assembles they way it does so the friction of the food on the walls, caused by the counter-clockwise rotation of the blade, as seen from the top, tightens the bowl rather than loosens it. If it assembled the other way it would likely open itself and turn off when making bread dough. So the real question is why does the motor turn counter-clockwise? Probably because back when Robot Coupe made the first food processors that's what was available off the shelf.
First of all I applaud you with all the left hand thread items you came up with....but you forgot the fan clutches on Fords and the arbor nut on my tablesaw and bench grinder.....anyway, there is still absolutely no logic as to why they assemble backwards. If it was the French.....I agree, they are F****** with us.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
Senior Cook

With the exception of the gas bottle all of the left hand nut things above were torque related so Voloce is dead on. As a licenced Master Electrician, let me say that the rotation of a Universal Motor is controlled by reversing two wires, Not rocket science.

By the way, cooking is way more interesting and harder than electricity.

So why did they choose counter clockwise [anti clockwise] rotation?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Okay, as an electrician try this hypothesis Robert ... POSITIVE grounding was/is common in Europe while NEGATIVE grounding is the common method in the US. As you know - all you have to do to reverse the direction of the motor turns is reverse the wires.

Now I have to wonder if my Renault got such good gas milage because it was running backwards????
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I think the logic, Micheal, is pure hubris but what great humor. BTW, the ground isn't the issue. Universal motors run on either AC or DC so the two wires are the field or the armature but not both. It is just a cheap motor nothing more.

Not that this belongs here but the only place I know about positive grounding is in battery systems [DC} and the world has mostly abandoned them to the best of my knowledge.