Food Processor Rant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Why is it that all of the FP I have seen, the lids do not install properly. Or should I say "righty tighty, lefty loosy". They are all backwards. Look at Emeril or even Flay when they use one...every time ther is a problem because the way you turn the lid or container on, it's backwards. Does anyone know of a FP that assembles correctly?

If it makes you feel any better, My son who is a mechanical engineer was just saying something about this subject to the Cusinart. My goodness the words these kids learn while at college, glad Mom was gone at the time.

Last edited:
So I am not crazy. The food processor is the ONLY THING (besides lug nuts from an old car from the 50's) that screws together BACKWARDS!

There is a reason for left threaded lug-nuts, the FP was invented by the french. So it may not make sense to us mortals.

There are left hand threads on the cranks of my pedal bikes, on the axles of my motorcycles, and on my acetylene tank.

The food processor assembles they way it does so the friction of the food on the walls, caused by the counter-clockwise rotation of the blade, as seen from the top, tightens the bowl rather than loosens it. If it assembled the other way it would likely open itself and turn off when making bread dough. So the real question is why does the motor turn counter-clockwise? Probably because back when Robot Coupe made the first food processors that's what was available off the shelf.

I'll have to give the TV chefs and cooking demonstrators a little break here ... (1) they are probably not the ones in the kitchen using the FP on a frequent basis and, (2) they are generally working with the front of the machine pointed towards the audience - away from them - so they are trying to do it backwards.

Like Veloce said - everything has to be biased in the same direction - or it would come apart. If your bowl and lid attached CW (clockwise) and the blade turned CCW (counter clockwise) it would work itself apart.

Blame the French who invented the thing. It must have been a design thing. It doesn't take much to reverse the direction the motor spins (all you have to do is swap a couple of wires).

No - I do not know of a FP that is "righty-tighty lefty-loosey".

Veloce said:
There are left hand threads on the cranks of my pedal bikes, on the axles of my motorcycles, and on my acetylene tank.

The food processor assembles they way it does so the friction of the food on the walls, caused by the counter-clockwise rotation of the blade, as seen from the top, tightens the bowl rather than loosens it. If it assembled the other way it would likely open itself and turn off when making bread dough. So the real question is why does the motor turn counter-clockwise? Probably because back when Robot Coupe made the first food processors that's what was available off the shelf.

First of all I applaud you with all the left hand thread items you came up with....but you forgot the fan clutches on Fords and the arbor nut on my tablesaw and bench grinder.....anyway, there is still absolutely no logic as to why they assemble backwards. If it was the French.....I agree, they are F****** with us.

With the exception of the gas bottle all of the left hand nut things above were torque related so Voloce is dead on. As a licenced Master Electrician, let me say that the rotation of a Universal Motor is controlled by reversing two wires, Not rocket science.

By the way, cooking is way more interesting and harder than electricity.

So why did they choose counter clockwise [anti clockwise] rotation?

Okay, as an electrician try this hypothesis Robert ... POSITIVE grounding was/is common in Europe while NEGATIVE grounding is the common method in the US. As you know - all you have to do to reverse the direction of the motor turns is reverse the wires.

Now I have to wonder if my Renault got such good gas milage because it was running backwards????

Last edited:
I think the logic, Micheal, is pure hubris but what great humor. BTW, the ground isn't the issue. Universal motors run on either AC or DC so the two wires are the field or the armature but not both. It is just a cheap motor nothing more.

Not that this belongs here but the only place I know about positive grounding is in battery systems [DC} and the world has mostly abandoned them to the best of my knowledge.

So...since we are all on the same page here, wouldn't a FP that assembles the "right" way be a selling point?

The one I have is pretty new, but somewhat cheap. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Then after seeing the chefs on TV go through the same chit that I go through everytime I use it made me curious.

The ONLY way I remember how the dam thing goes back together is the psition of the spout.

Also, why do all the manufacturers follow one another. I mean really, what kind of R & D team do these companies have?

Last edited:
After 20 years of service, the Cuisinart machine that I had was giving ME trouble. The cover became extremely difficult to twist on and off the work bowl.

Rather that be forced to have to re-buy the work bowl, cover and pusher assembly all over again, because that is now the only way that Cuisinart sells the parts, and have to pay a whopping $100.00 for those parts, I just went on and bought a much better machine.

And it wasn't another Cuisinart either!!

I have the same problem. I got a cuisinart blender/food processor combo as a college graduation present. At the time, I didn't cook, so I was happy with it. Now, not so happy. Not only is the food processor lid hard to lock into place, the bowl on this thing is tiny. Like 3 cups. Don't even get me started on the blender part!

I have heard this specifically about the Cuisinart--that the lid is very hard to get off.
If I am understanding the question correctly, my KA closes by turning counterclockwise (to the right of the lock). And it does so easily.

I also agree with Veloce and Michael--it may have to do with the direction the blade turns. And TV chefs often have the machines turned toward the camera, for some reason.

Sararwelch said:
I have the same problem. I got a cuisinart blender/food processor combo as a college graduation present. At the time, I didn't cook, so I was happy with it. Now, not so happy. Not only is the food processor lid hard to lock into place, the bowl on this thing is tiny. Like 3 cups. Don't even get me started on the blender part!

I will agree that the Cuisinart blender/food processor isn't that great a machine - and is by no means indicative of their food processors. I have never had a problem with my lid sticking or being difficult to get off. Maybe a little rubbing of mineral oil would help.

My Cuisinart has performed for almost 30 years without ANY problems!!!!!

Candocook said:
I have heard this specifically about the Cuisinart--that the lid is very hard to get off.
If I am understanding the question correctly, my KA closes by turning counterclockwise (to the right of the lock). And it does so easily.

I also agree with Veloce and Michael--it may have to do with the direction the blade turns. And TV chefs often have the machines turned toward the camera, for some reason.

My K'Aid machine's lid turns counterclockwise also. And it's so easy to get on, engage with the interlocking system and to get off!! It works very smoothly - something that I eventually didn't get with Cuisinart.

Corey123 said:
After 20 years of service, the Cuisinart machine that I had was giving ME trouble. The cover became extremely difficult to twist on and off the work bowl.

Rather that be forced to have to re-buy the work bowl, cover and pusher assembly all over again, because that is now the only way that Cuisinart sells the parts, and have to pay a whopping $100.00 for those parts, I just went on and bought a much better machine.

And it wasn't another Cuisinart either!!

I bought a bowl separately earlier this year. All the parts are available separately, unless recently changed.

One thing that I like about my machine, in addition to the many other things, is that it's very easy to keep clean because there are absolutely no dirt-catching crevices.

The Cuisinart was hard to keep clean, especially where the saftey switch is! That the work bowl sits on.

Last edited:
I have no problem getting the lids (2) on or off my Cuisinart DLC-8S TX TYPE 28's bowl.

I have no problem cleaning the bowl after use-it's dishwasher safe.

My Cuisinart DLC-8S TX TYPE 28 is 5-6 years old and does whatever I ask it to do.

My DLC-8S TX TYPE 28 cost less than $170.00.

What more do you need?

Back
Top Bottom