Food processor recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is the 14-cup model with the multiple bowls. At first I wasn't sure how frequently I would use one bowl over another but, in time (nearly a full year now), I can't imagine not having the flexibility of the different-sized bowls. Just my feedback for your information-gathering process.

Mine is the 14-cup model with the multiple bowls. At first I wasn't sure how frequently I would use one bowl over another but, in time (nearly a full year now), I can't imagine not having the flexibility of the different-sized bowls. Just my feedback for your information-gathering process.

Thanks Katie. Sounds like having multiple bowls is a great feature. I'm wondering if any of the other models have that.

We have a KA 11 cup (that has the inner bowl) and a Cuisenart 4 cup. We have never used the inner bowl on the KA.

Update: I called Cuisinart today, and they recommended the DLC-10S (7 cup) and the DLC-8S. The customer service person said that they get the least number of repair requests on these two models, and both can handle the small quantities used in the Mini Prep.

What kinds of recipes - besides those for shakes - would require a blender rather than a food processor?

Blender for liquids. FP for solids.

FP are not very good at processing liquids. They can only take a very small amount or will overflow through the center tube opening and leak all over the place.

Blenders are not very good at blending dry items. Some liquid is needed to keep the food moving into the blades.

I have a large and a mini FP and a blender to address various kitchen tasks. None are kept out on the counter when not in use. I don't have a lot of space either.

Last edited:
Blender for liquids. FP for solids.

FP are not very good at processing liquids. They can only take a very small amount or will overflow through the center tube opening and leak all over the place.

Blenders are not very good at blending dry items. Some liquid is needed to keep the food moving into the blades.

I have a large and a mini FP and a blender to address various kitchen tasks. None are kept out on the counter when not in use. I don't have a lot of space either.

For soups is an immersion blender a good option? Trying to figure out if I need to keep my KitchenAid blender, which I rarely use.

I also have an immersion blender and use it almost exclusively to puree soups and sauces in the pot.

Why wouldn't you keep the blender?

I also have an immersion blender and use it almost exclusively to puree soups and sauces in the pot.

Why wouldn't you keep the blender?

I used to use it to make shakes, but now I make all my shakes in my Nutribullet. I haven't tried making soup in a blender in a long time. I was thinking of getting an immersion blender if I wanted to make soups. I have limited counter space in my apartment.

I really like my immersion blender. I also really like my regular blender. I'd keep both if you can.

As Andy said, the blender is used for liquefying and pureeing foods, like sauces, including salsa, smoothies, gazpacho and cocktails. The immersion blender is used for liquefying hot foods - soups and sauces - because it's easier and less dangerous than moving hot foods between the blender and the pot.

Last edited:
I used to use it to make shakes, but now I make all my shakes in my Nutribullet. I haven't tried making soup in a blender in a long time. I was thinking of getting an immersion blender if I wanted to make soups. I have limited counter space in my apartment.

I see. You have two blenders.

I see. You have two blenders.

Yes the KitchenAid holds 7 cups of liquid. The Nutribullet holds about 2 cups max. The Nutribullet is way easier to clean and is great for making a single shake. So I'm torn about whether to keep the KitchenAid. I'm not sure whether I'll be making sauces or purées.

Yes the KitchenAid holds 7 cups of liquid. The Nutribullet holds about 2 cups max. The Nutribullet is way easier to clean and is great for making a single shake. So I'm torn about whether to keep the KitchenAid. I'm not sure whether I'll be making sauces or purées.

Keep the KA for now. See how you use it in the next six months. You don't have to keep it out on the counter. My Robot is rather heavy. But since I use my Kitchen Aid mixer more than my large FP, I keep that put away until I need it. I have a mini Sunbeam FP that I use more frequently. That and my KA mixer stay on the counter. :angel:

Keep the KA for now. See how you use it in the next six months. You don't have to keep it out on the counter. My Robot is rather heavy. But since I use my Kitchen Aid mixer more than my large FP, I keep that put away until I need it. I have a mini Sunbeam FP that I use more frequently. That and my KA mixer stay on the counter. :angel:

Good idea! What do you use the stand mixer for that you couldn’t do with the Robot?

Back
Top Bottom