"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #31
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Blender for liquids. FP for solids.

FP are not very good at processing liquids. They can only take a very small amount or will overflow through the center tube opening and leak all over the place.

Blenders are not very good at blending dry items. Some liquid is needed to keep the food moving into the blades.

I have a large and a mini FP and a blender to address various kitchen tasks. None are kept out on the counter when not in use. I don't have a lot of space either.

For soups is an immersion blender a good option? Trying to figure out if I need to keep my KitchenAid blender, which I rarely use.
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,386
I also have an immersion blender and use it almost exclusively to puree soups and sauces in the pot.

Why wouldn't you keep the blender?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #33
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I also have an immersion blender and use it almost exclusively to puree soups and sauces in the pot.

Why wouldn't you keep the blender?

I used to use it to make shakes, but now I make all my shakes in my Nutribullet. I haven't tried making soup in a blender in a long time. I was thinking of getting an immersion blender if I wanted to make soups. I have limited counter space in my apartment.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
I really like my immersion blender. I also really like my regular blender. I'd keep both if you can.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #35
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I really like my immersion blender. I also really like my regular blender. I'd keep both if you can.

What do you use each blender for?
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
As Andy said, the blender is used for liquefying and pureeing foods, like sauces, including salsa, smoothies, gazpacho and cocktails. The immersion blender is used for liquefying hot foods - soups and sauces - because it's easier and less dangerous than moving hot foods between the blender and the pot.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I used to use it to make shakes, but now I make all my shakes in my Nutribullet. I haven't tried making soup in a blender in a long time. I was thinking of getting an immersion blender if I wanted to make soups. I have limited counter space in my apartment.

I see. You have two blenders.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #38
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I see. You have two blenders.

Yes the KitchenAid holds 7 cups of liquid. The Nutribullet holds about 2 cups max. The Nutribullet is way easier to clean and is great for making a single shake. So I'm torn about whether to keep the KitchenAid. I'm not sure whether I'll be making sauces or purées.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Yes the KitchenAid holds 7 cups of liquid. The Nutribullet holds about 2 cups max. The Nutribullet is way easier to clean and is great for making a single shake. So I'm torn about whether to keep the KitchenAid. I'm not sure whether I'll be making sauces or purées.
Keep the KA for now. See how you use it in the next six months. You don't have to keep it out on the counter. My Robot is rather heavy. But since I use my Kitchen Aid mixer more than my large FP, I keep that put away until I need it. I have a mini Sunbeam FP that I use more frequently. That and my KA mixer stay on the counter.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #40
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Keep the KA for now. See how you use it in the next six months. You don't have to keep it out on the counter. My Robot is rather heavy. But since I use my Kitchen Aid mixer more than my large FP, I keep that put away until I need it. I have a mini Sunbeam FP that I use more frequently. That and my KA mixer stay on the counter.
Good idea! What do you use the stand mixer for that you couldn’t do with the Robot?
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.