Food processor recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm looking for a decent food processor and would like some recommendations. I currently have a KitchenAid 3.5 cup but it's too small for scones and cookies. I don't need the highest end product but something that is good quality. It would be great if I could also use it to replace my blender which I rarely use. For shakes I use my Nutribullet.

I've had a Cuisinart for a dozen years and it works great. Generally, Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid FP are the best of the bunch. If you have a LOT of money, a Robo Coupe.

I bought my first food processor in 1978, Cuisinart, and used it (a lot and regularly) until last Christmas, which is when Glenn gave me a brand new one as my big Santa gift. This means my trusty old machine was 35 years old when it went to live with another family.

There was nothing wrong the my old one but I wanted a little more versatility and the new one definitely offers that. There are three prep bowls in graduating sizes, along with all the cutting blades.

I have never had any issues with my Cuisinart machines and am just as happy with my new one as I was with the first one.

I highly recommend Cuisinart. I chose the 14-cup Elite model in die cast because I wanted something durable and of ample capacity. Here's an Amazon link to what I have.

Can a food processor replace a blender?

Not in my world. They're two different animals. My little Kitchenaid FP does a great job with chopping stuff, but for smoothies and liquifying, you need a blender. The blender seal is tight against liquids, my FP is not.

Not in my world. They're two different animals. My little Kitchenaid FP does a great job with chopping stuff, but for smoothies and liquifying, you need a blender. The blender seal is tight against liquids, my FP is not.

That's not been an issue with my new Cuisinart because there is a snug rubber gasket that is inside the lid/top of the machine.

Mine has, particularly with the variety of blades my food processor has. I rarely use my blender, which I bought in 1968.

That's good to hear. For shakes my Nutribullet does fine. I really don't want to spend the money for a Vitamix.

I've had a Cuisinart for a dozen years and it works great. Generally, Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid FP are the best of the bunch. If you have a LOT of money, a Robo Coupe.

I have a Robot Coupe. It has to be more than forty years old. I have had it for thirty five years now. The plug doesn't even have the wide blade and the cord is covered with rubber. I got it many years ago from a woman who had a house fire. When she was cleaning out she asked me if I wanted it. (She wanted an excuse to get a new one.) I took it gladly. For free? You bet. I have all the blades and fixtures. And it is still going strong. Sure it would be nice to have a bigger one. But I have fallen in love with this one. The motor is a workhorse. It handles dough as if it was just water. When I tell folks I have a Robot Coupe, they look at me as if I am lying just to impress them. They are really expensive. But the new ones are well worth the money. :angel:

Last edited:
I have a Robot Coupe. It has to be more than forty years old. I have had it for thirty five years now. The plug doesn't even have the wide blade and the cord is covered with rubber. I got it many years ago from a woman who had a house fire. When she was cleaning out she asked me if I wanted it. (She wanted an excuse to get a new one.) I took it gladly. For free? You bet. I have all the blades and fixtures. And it is still going strong. Sure it would be nice to have a bigger one. But I have fallen in love with this one. The motor is a workhorse. It handles dough as if it was just water. When I tell folks I have a Robot Coupe, they look at me as if I am lying just to impress them. They are really expensive. But the new ones are well worth the money. :angel:

What great luck! The new ones are super pricey!

What great luck! The new ones are super pricey!

I also got a Hamilton Beach drink mixer. I gave that to my son-in-law. And that is still running also along with the hand mixer that my niece took. With the insurance money that the woman got, she planned on refitting her kitchen with all new equipment. I was very happy to assist her. :angel:

I have the Cuisinart 11 cup classic and it's a massive upgrade from my old Black and Decker, the Black and Decker did the job, but wasn't powerful enough to work dough, or run for a long time without overheating the motor, and it was loud.

The Cuisinart with the induction motor is really quiet and very powerful. It's a bit pricey, but the quality is there.

Thanks for your recommendations, everyone! I'm confused about what size food processor I need. I see that Cuisinart makes a 9, 11, and 14 cup. Any suggestions on how to choose?

Thanks for your recommendations, everyone! I'm confused about what size food processor I need. I see that Cuisinart makes a 9, 11, and 14 cup. Any suggestions on how to choose?

Any of those sizes are big enough to handle normal recipe amounts. If you tend to make larger quantities, go for the 14 cup. Otherwise, the 9 cup is a good compromise.

Check for sales (Christmas is coming) and buy what's on sale.

Any of those sizes are big enough to handle normal recipe amounts. If you tend to make larger quantities, go for the 14 cup. Otherwise, the 9 cup is a good compromise.

Check for sales (Christmas is coming) and buy what's on sale.

Thanks Andy. I like that approach because it's economical, and if I find I need a bigger machine I can always upgrade later. I'm a newbie so don't want to spend tons of money for something I won't use.

Will the Cusinart 9 cup work for the small quantity I would use for the 3.5 cup? The 9 cup doesn't come with a smaller bowl attachment.

Back
Top Bottom