Food Processor Recommendations Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few days ago I purchased the Cuisinart Custom 14 Cup FP

I have the same one, got mine from BBB. Love it. I had a 11 cup one before which was just too small, but that was a present. I still use it once in a while. this new one is awesome and the price is Right.

I received mine earlier today when I ordered it qvc still has the holiday shipping ( 2nd day air ) on their website for the same price as regular shipping. I'm going to read the manual and play around with it later tonight I'll probably make a 3 pound pizza dough to burn in the motor.

I tend to be a procrastinator about spending money. A good thing most of the time, not much impulse buying. But the other day my husband grabbed the food processor I was swearing at and threw it in the trash and took the trash out. "Buy the damned new one!" So ... I've seen what I'm looking for on the Penney's site, and need to comparison shop on Amazon and Chef's and W-S. But I guess I'll have a new one before the week is out.

Husbands' wrists aren't what they used to be and he was having a hard time with a batch (just for 2) of pasta dough. Can the large bowl handle that?

Last edited:
Scales Mound is a cute town. Have had many breakfasts and drinks there, and love their little grocery store. If I wanted to live in a smaller town than Galena (unlikely) it would be in the running.

Finally got off my butt (well, on it literally) and ordered it from Amazon. The negative reviews seems things I could live with. Between it and a couple of other appliances I own dying at the same time, I really, really need it.

I don't know about the new Cuisinarts but I adore the square base vintage ones. My favorites are the 11 cup, 14 cup, & the 20 cup models. You can't beat them with a stick.

I don't know about the new Cuisinarts but I adore the square base vintage ones. My favorites are the 11 cup, 14 cup, & the 20 cup models. You can't beat them with a stick.

Then you would love mine. It is a Robot Coup made in France eons ago. The company no longer exists. But it has a motor that could pull a tractor through clay dirt. The base of the FP is made of Bakelite and is yellow. It is so old. :)

In my looking for a food processor I can across the Braun Multiquick 3 K650. It seems to have the best reviews of any food processor I have looked at on Amazon. Has anyone here used any of the Braun food processor models?

I just received the one Steve recommended. I haven't tried it yet, but one word of warning. Trying to see if it was mentioned here yet, but was by the Amazon rating teams: It is very, very heavy. I'd been warned, so cleared counter space and am rearranging other items in the kitchen. My little Cuisinart that was both FP and blender, was not heavy enough, it could vibrate itself off the counter if you didn't hold it down with one hand (could not walk away from it while it was working, not even a few steps!). But do not buy this one if you have to store it below your waist or above your shoulders, then bring it to counter level, if you aren't strong or have shoulder mobility problems. It is tall enough that it won't fit on your counter and under the upper cupboards in a standard kitchen. I knew this before ordering and they weren't deal-breakers for me (I'd been warned of the weight, and measured for the height).

I'm really excited to try it!

Claire, you are correct in that it's very heavy - about 30 lbs. I've made 6 cups of bread dough in it, and it stays put without sliding around on the counter top.

Regarding the height, are you sure it won't fit on your counter? Mine fits on the counter with about an inch and a half to spare between the top of the unit and the wall mounted cabinets. I measured the space before I bought it to make sure it would fit. I just assume my cabinets are mounted at a standard height, but maybe not.

Claire, you are correct in that it's very heavy - about 30 lbs. I've made 6 cups of bread dough in it, and it stays put without sliding around on the counter top.

Regarding the height, are you sure it won't fit on your counter? Mine fits on the counter with about an inch and a half to spare between the top of the unit and the wall mounted cabinets. I measured the space before I bought it to make sure it would fit. I just assume my cabinets are mounted at a standard height, but maybe not.

This got me thinking. Since I live in elderly housing, I had my son measure. Hmmm. Sure enough, my upper cabinets are one inch below the standard. Yet they are standard height from the floor. I woud rather have them at least a half inch lower. They didn't take into account the fact that the elderly shrink when they get old. :)

In my looking for a food processor I can across the Braun Multiquick 3 K650. It seems to have the best reviews of any food processor I have looked at on Amazon. Has anyone here used any of the Braun food processor models?

I am not familiar with the Multiquick. I do have a Braun food processor that was bought in 1990. I also have a Braun coffee grinder, bought in 1995.

Both are still running. They have one problem and it's the same for both. The spindles are disintegrating. The FP doesn't get used much, because it has gotten hard to put the blade, due to the expanding spindle. The coffee grinder still gets used a lot. It wasn't quite accurate to say its spindle is disintegrating, it was actually the decorative top to the spindle. However, both bits of plastic seemed to fail in exactly the same manner.

They may be using a different type of plastic now. I would certainly recommend Braun's quality, except for that plastic in the body.

Hmmm. It is under the cabinet, fully assembled as we speak. I just asked hubby how he did it .... took the pushers out, it fits without them. When I said my cabinets were standard, I wasn't quite accurate. I live in a house that is old, and nothing is truly standard!

Has anyone ever tried to make pasta dough in a food processor?

Husband and I had fun with the FP yesterday, making a large batch of New Mexico Green Chili. We'd watched the DVD (a Godsend for a husband who is instruction-manual-deficient)(definitely believes that if all else fails, maybe you consider reading the instructions) and decided to use as much of the machine as possible. Sliced, shredded, and chopped. All went well with one exception ... we're not used the the sharpness of the chopping blade or the strength of the motor -- many more RPMs than our little one. We decided that I'd "supervise" and he'd actually do the hands on. When it came to chopping the onions, he turned it on. "NO!" I yelped. PULSE, not on! It was funny. The onions were almost pureed by the time he hit off (seconds)! As it was, they were still usable in the recipe, but boy were my eyes crying. Anyway, so far it's a success.

Has anyone ever tried to make pasta dough in a food processor?
I haven't yet, but have bookmarked this recipe:
How to Make Pasta Dough in the Food Processor

Coincidentally, I was at a friend's house today making ravioli (he used his KA mixer with the dough hook and pasta roller attachment). One thing that we learned in the process is the difference that semolina makes versus AP flour. We ran out of semolina and switched midstream to AP. Night and day difference. The AP flour batch was much more stretchy and sticky compared to that made from semolina. It simply didn't work as well for the ravioli.

On a side note, it struck me kind of funny that, here we were, two big men making homemade pasta and talking mixers while our wives sat off to the side watching. Oh well. I guess maybe you had to be there. :)

Last edited:
On a side note, it struck me kind of funny that, here we were, two big men making homemade pasta and talking mixers while our wives sat off to the side watching. Oh well. I guess maybe you had to be there. :)

I have two friends I sail with weekly. While we are sailing we will discuss all manner of recipes and cooking... then we look at each other and laugh. It doesn't stop us from continuing. :)

I haven't yet, but have bookmarked this recipe:
How to Make Pasta Dough in the Food Processor

Coincidentally, I was at a friend's house today making ravioli (he used his KA mixer with the dough hook and pasta roller attachment). One thing that we learned in the process is the difference that semolina makes versus AP flour. We ran out of semolina and switched midstream to AP. Night and day difference. The AP flour batch was much more stretchy and sticky compared to that made from semolina. It simply didn't work as well for the ravioli.

It would have been funnier if the wives had been in the living room watching sports. ;)

On a side note, it struck me kind of funny that, here we were, two big men making homemade pasta and talking mixers while our wives sat off to the side watching. Oh well. I guess maybe you had to be there.

Smart women! :chef:

Last edited:
On a side note, it struck me kind of funny that, here we were, two big men making homemade pasta and talking mixers while our wives sat off to the side watching. Oh well. I guess maybe you had to be there.

Smart women! :chef:

I had to laugh at this one. One assignment of my husbands we both worked in real he-man units. These men had never done anything (after Vietnam, before Gulf) but prided themselves on not doing anything girly. Then we both moved to different units. The Intel guys and my training guys all loved food and loved to cook .... and all were war veterans. the men who actually didn't feel they had to prove anything loved cooking and food, and were more involved with their children, etc. Real men cook, raise children, etc. Maybe they simply appreciate their homes more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom