"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Claire, you are correct in that it's very heavy - about 30 lbs. I've made 6 cups of bread dough in it, and it stays put without sliding around on the counter top.

Regarding the height, are you sure it won't fit on your counter? Mine fits on the counter with about an inch and a half to spare between the top of the unit and the wall mounted cabinets. I measured the space before I bought it to make sure it would fit. I just assume my cabinets are mounted at a standard height, but maybe not.
This got me thinking. Since I live in elderly housing, I had my son measure. Hmmm. Sure enough, my upper cabinets are one inch below the standard. Yet they are standard height from the floor. I woud rather have them at least a half inch lower. They didn't take into account the fact that the elderly shrink when they get old.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionviper View Post
In my looking for a food processor I can across the Braun Multiquick 3 K650. It seems to have the best reviews of any food processor I have looked at on Amazon. Has anyone here used any of the Braun food processor models?
I am not familiar with the Multiquick. I do have a Braun food processor that was bought in 1990. I also have a Braun coffee grinder, bought in 1995.

Both are still running. They have one problem and it's the same for both. The spindles are disintegrating. The FP doesn't get used much, because it has gotten hard to put the blade, due to the expanding spindle. The coffee grinder still gets used a lot. It wasn't quite accurate to say its spindle is disintegrating, it was actually the decorative top to the spindle. However, both bits of plastic seemed to fail in exactly the same manner.

They may be using a different type of plastic now. I would certainly recommend Braun's quality, except for that plastic in the body.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Claire, you are correct in that it's very heavy - about 30 lbs. I've made 6 cups of bread dough in it, and it stays put without sliding around on the counter top.

Regarding the height, are you sure it won't fit on your counter? Mine fits on the counter with about an inch and a half to spare between the top of the unit and the wall mounted cabinets. I measured the space before I bought it to make sure it would fit. I just assume my cabinets are mounted at a standard height, but maybe not.
Hmmm. It is under the cabinet, fully assembled as we speak. I just asked hubby how he did it .... took the pushers out, it fits without them. When I said my cabinets were standard, I wasn't quite accurate. I live in a house that is old, and nothing is truly standard!

Has anyone ever tried to make pasta dough in a food processor?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
Master Chef

Husband and I had fun with the FP yesterday, making a large batch of New Mexico Green Chili. We'd watched the DVD (a Godsend for a husband who is instruction-manual-deficient)(definitely believes that if all else fails, maybe you consider reading the instructions) and decided to use as much of the machine as possible. Sliced, shredded, and chopped. All went well with one exception ... we're not used the the sharpness of the chopping blade or the strength of the motor -- many more RPMs than our little one. We decided that I'd "supervise" and he'd actually do the hands on. When it came to chopping the onions, he turned it on. "NO!" I yelped. PULSE, not on! It was funny. The onions were almost pureed by the time he hit off (seconds)! As it was, they were still usable in the recipe, but boy were my eyes crying. Anyway, so far it's a success.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Has anyone ever tried to make pasta dough in a food processor?
I haven't yet, but have bookmarked this recipe:
How to Make Pasta Dough in the Food Processor

Coincidentally, I was at a friend's house today making ravioli (he used his KA mixer with the dough hook and pasta roller attachment). One thing that we learned in the process is the difference that semolina makes versus AP flour. We ran out of semolina and switched midstream to AP. Night and day difference. The AP flour batch was much more stretchy and sticky compared to that made from semolina. It simply didn't work as well for the ravioli.

On a side note, it struck me kind of funny that, here we were, two big men making homemade pasta and talking mixers while our wives sat off to the side watching. Oh well. I guess maybe you had to be there.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #36
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
On a side note, it struck me kind of funny that, here we were, two big men making homemade pasta and talking mixers while our wives sat off to the side watching. Oh well. I guess maybe you had to be there.
I have two friends I sail with weekly. While we are sailing we will discuss all manner of recipes and cooking... then we look at each other and laugh. It doesn't stop us from continuing.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I haven't yet, but have bookmarked this recipe:
How to Make Pasta Dough in the Food Processor

Coincidentally, I was at a friend's house today making ravioli (he used his KA mixer with the dough hook and pasta roller attachment). One thing that we learned in the process is the difference that semolina makes versus AP flour. We ran out of semolina and switched midstream to AP. Night and day difference. The AP flour batch was much more stretchy and sticky compared to that made from semolina. It simply didn't work as well for the ravioli.

It would have been funnier if the wives had been in the living room watching sports.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #38
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It would have been funnier if the wives had been in the living room watching sports.
They might have considered watching a couple of big guys making ravioli sport.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Smart women!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Smart women!
I had to laugh at this one. One assignment of my husbands we both worked in real he-man units. These men had never done anything (after Vietnam, before Gulf) but prided themselves on not doing anything girly. Then we both moved to different units. The Intel guys and my training guys all loved food and loved to cook .... and all were war veterans. the men who actually didn't feel they had to prove anything loved cooking and food, and were more involved with their children, etc. Real men cook, raise children, etc. Maybe they simply appreciate their homes more.

Tags
food