"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Food Processor Recommendations Please

Yesterday my food processor died an untimely death and will need to be replaced.

I had a KitchenAide with a fairly small bowl that was dropped and badly broken. It's prolly not worth repairing as it's quite a few years old and the housing is completely smashed along with the bowl.

I use mine to shred hard cheese, mill up nuts, make hummus and puree assorted things. I store it under the counter and never use the slicing blades. Occasionally I think it would be nice to have a metal bowl or one that doesn't leak if you overfill...

Do you have a food processor you love? Have you seen any awesome holiday deals?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had a Cuisinart 11-cup for a dozen years. It does leak if you overfill it. I came with two tops, a basic one and one with a food chute. Also a dough blade, two slicing blades and a shredding blade.

From all I've read, Cuisinart and KA are two very good choices. The Cuisinart, at least, has various-sized bowls up to 14 cups (I think).

Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think I have your Kitchenaid, Janet. 4 cups? I like that it's really heavy. Have had mine for about 15 years, and probably use it at least once a week. I also have an 8 cup Krupps that I don't use as much, and it's not as heavy.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Cuis' DLC 8, 11 cup. I use it fairly often, and bought a continuous feed chute attachment for it. Have all the disks, including the later, made in China hard cheese grater disk. I like it better than the KA I tried. Probably the only thing it does that I don't use is the pastry blade. It makes too fine a pill. I cut by hand or use the pastry knife on my N50...bigger pill, flakier pastry.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've had a Cuisinart 11-cup for a dozen years. It does leak if you overfill it. I came with two tops, a basic one and one with a food chute. Also a dough blade, two slicing blades and a shredding blade.

From all I've read, Cuisinart and KA are two very good choices. The Cuisinart, at least, has various-sized bowls up to 14 cups (I think).
Yup. I had a Cuis' 14 cup, DLC 7, and it was bigger than I needed, so I gave it to the church kitchen where I host the shelter, so I still get to use it at least once a week. Cuis' also makes a DLC X...20 cup. Big.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Head Chef

I don't use mine a lot, but I sure wish I had purchased one larger than a five-cup. You can use a larger one for small things. But you can't do larger things in the small one.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I just saw another Cuis' 11 cup on Craigs List, complete and in nice shape, for $30. I'm thinking about snagging it in case mine dies.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Robot Coupe from France. They were the first ones to make them. I don't know how old it is, but it has a large bowl. I have all the attachments and want to get the FF cutter. I also have a small Sunbeam Oskar that I use all the time for onions, celery, etc. That too is quite old, but has served me well. I make rye bread sometimes in the RC. My Classic KA mixer was obtained at an auction for only $60. It was brand new still in the sealed box. It came from an estate sale. I bought the bowl with the handle as I have small hands and found it hard to hold the bowl when removing contents. My son bought me the new glass bowl for it, and I love it. The down side is that it is heavy. I also have purchased over the years, the meat grinder and pasta maker for it. They both get a lot of use. If you are going to purchase a kitchen appliance that is going to be getting a lot of use, it pays to get the best you can afford. They no longer make the Robot Coupe for the home. And if mine goes, I will be heart broken. I have had my RC fp for a good 25 years. There is a company called "The Gourmet Depot Company". They have parts to every foreign and home made kitchen or small household appliance. Even ones that have gone out of business or companies that have been bought out and the name changed. Such as Black and Decker kitchen appliances. You can find them on line at thegourmetdepot.net or call them at 1-800-424-6783. RC has been out of business for eons, yet I can still buy parts for mine. You might want to save that info for when your appliances are out of warranty. Their parts prices are a lot cheaper than the manufacturer.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Cook

FP Recommendations/New Kitchen Aid 13-Cup?

Am about to hunt for my first-ever food processor. I know Cooks Illustrated has liked the KA 12-cup....haven't they just introduced a new 13-cup? Would like to use it for pie crust, hummus, and much more.

Do food processors now come with instruction DVDs as well as booklets?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

We've had the Cuisinart 16 cup for about a year and couldn't be more pleased. It came with both booklet and DVD. It's a bit spendy, but it sure seems like we'll never need to replace this beast.

Tags
food