Food processor replacing mixers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I was reading a magazine the other day and looking at the holiday cookie recipes they had in the food section. I was so surprised to see the directions all called for the ingredients to be put into a food processor! There was always a "cooks note" stating it could be done with a mixer and gave those directions too but I just found it odd that they started with the food processor directions. Has anyone ever made cookies using that method? I guess I don't think of my food processor as much more than a glorified chopper.

That's interesting. I think it's fine for smaller batches. A stand mixer can handle larger quantities.

I have use the FP to make a pie crust but that's about it.

I was reading a magazine the other day and looking at the holiday cookie recipes they had in the food section. I was so surprised to see the directions all called for the ingredients to be put into a food processor! There was always a "cooks note" stating it could be done with a mixer and gave those directions too but I just found it odd that they started with the food processor directions. Has anyone ever made cookies using that method? I guess I don't think of my food processor as much more than a glorified chopper.

A food processor is a great deal more than a "glorified chopper," Jabbur. If that's all you use it for, you are definitely NOT getting your money's worth.

I often make bread dough in my Cuisinart food processor (all brands are not sturdy enough to take the pull large amounts of flour put on the motor). I sometimes make some kinds of cookies in it, as well. and it's great for making mayonnaise, pesto, and all sorts of things.

However, I'm curious whether the magazine (or perhaps just the article) was written with a slant toward using your food processor?

I thought of that too ChefJune but it was Reader's Digest and it wasn't an advertising section. It's like I was looking on the Chex boxes at the recipes for different chex mixes and they all were for the microwave and didn't have the directions for a regular oven. BTW, I really don't use my FP much since it was a freebie and is a blender/FP combo. The FP bowl sits on the blender base and is complicated to use and clean. I'd rather get out the KA stand mixer! I only get out the FP when I was cooking for large church gatherings and needed a lot of onions, celery, carrots etc chopped when my mini chopper couldn't handle the volume.

it's possible that more ppl have a fp than a mixer, or that it's on the counter or it's being used anyway. i actaully havde used my fp for dough a few times this month !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom