Food Processors can't handle liquid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
I some of you may know, last year I got a Kitchenaid 14cup Food Processor for my birthday. I have been slowly learning all the things I can do with it, and making more than a few mistakes along the way, LOL. Apparently I need to practice with the chopping blades...
Anyway, I thought I could make things like smoothies and eggnog and whipped scrambled eggs in it... but nooooooo.... only if I do a small small amount otherwise it apparently leaks down the middle and out under the bowl and all over the counter!
Now, one of its features in the description is that the top of the housing is completely sealed and seamless to prevent liquid getting in and ruining the motor... so I guess they saw people like me coming?? LOL.
Bottom line, am I doing something wrong (everything is clicking into place and seems to be right) or do I just need to get a blender to do my liquids in?

Nope you are not doing anything wrong. Use a blender for things like that. Use the FP for more solid things. Pesto consistency is about as loose as I would go in a PF.

Yup, Food Processors are used for chopping and processing food and Blenders are for blending liquids. I used to try just the opposite, of using a blender for processing some foods -- like the commercial of making guacamole by tossing avocados into a blender -- and it just does not work well.

or making grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster.....

Geez... where were you when my kids got a 'grilled cheese sandwich' stuck in my toaster?!?! LOL.

Thanks guys, I was afraid of that.... still haven't gotten around to getting a new blender, last one didn't last very long at all...

I agree that a blender is probably what you want to be using for that stuff.

But I use my FP to make all kinds of liquid things, like salad dressing and the like. You need to be careful not to overfill it, though. Even if you do, not very much liquid should leak out through the middle. Not the amount I think you are describing. The liquid has to go up and under the blade and then out. Even when I have a lot of liquid in mine, maybe a T or so goes out.

If you are in the market for a blender, I bought one reconditioned from Amazon for less than half price of a new one and it's perfect.

Yea it is way more than a teaspoon, it runs out and over the counter. I checked the blade attachments and I am putting them in right, but I don't see anything that 'locks' them into the base so I guess they must be 'floating' slightly if I have too much liquid in there.
The blender we had was a Black & Decker steel one with glass mixer and stainless steel mixer. Unfortunately, the thingy that screws into the bottom to hold the blades in place and prevent liquids from coming back out was made of plastic and cracked within a couple of months of us getting it. We should have called to complain and get a new one, but kept putting it off and then I tried to use it one day by gluing it but it didn't work and ran out all over it and into the motor.... bonk!

Maybe the force of the liquid is lifting up the blade.

With a 14 cup you should be able to make some liquidy things in smaller quantities. For the smoothies, etc. a blender is better anyway.

Or a hand or stick blender. Those can be useful, too.

I some of you may know, last year I got a Kitchenaid 14cup Food Processor for my birthday. I have been slowly learning all the things I can do with it, and making more than a few mistakes along the way, LOL. Apparently I need to practice with the chopping blades...
Anyway, I thought I could make things like smoothies and eggnog and whipped scrambled eggs in it... but nooooooo.... only if I do a small small amount otherwise it apparently leaks down the middle and out under the bowl and all over the counter!
Now, one of its features in the description is that the top of the housing is completely sealed and seamless to prevent liquid getting in and ruining the motor... so I guess they saw people like me coming?? LOL.
Bottom line, am I doing something wrong (everything is clicking into place and seems to be right) or do I just need to get a blender to do my liquids in?

You CAN use the food processor for those things, BUT you have to make very sure the level of the liquid does not exceed the height of the hole in the center where the blade sits.

When it comes to blending liquids, he FP is the wrong tool for the job. Yes, you can do it, but it's just not the best choice.

Blending hot liquids in a blender is also problematic as you can blow the top off the blender from the steam buildup. That's why you often see TV chefs place a towel on top of a blender with hot liquids. The key is less than half a container full of hot liquid.

I almost always use an immersion blender for hot liquids such as soups and puree right there in the pan. It's a snap as long as you keep the end of the blender in the liquid.

this might make me sound like an idiot :-p but I never knew what the difference was between a blender and a food processor. I mean, I kinda knew that you couldn't use a blender for food, but then again I thought maybe I was putting in too much or doing something else wrong, especially since a FP looks like nothing more than a wider blender :X Now I am justified in buying a nice FP for myself though!

I find the immersion (hand) blender to be the easiest and less messy method of dealing with pureeing soups and sauces. Much more control of the final results too.

Of course I have on occasion forgotten to take my finger off the switch before removing from the pot.

Mav - I have had "Liquid overload" too. I am amazed that a 14 cup blender does not hold the advertised volume if it's wet. I have had very good success by lifting the work bowl and the blade as one. To do this, you will need to give the blade a little turn as you lift. It works for me - hope it works for you.

AC

If there is a bam in there somewhere.... LOL.

The problem starts before I lift the bowl out, when I turn it on. I think I am going to have to accept that only thick liquids in small amounts and food will go into it and go get my new blender LOL.

If there is a bam in there somewhere.... LOL.

The problem starts before I lift the bowl out, when I turn it on. I think I am going to have to accept that only thick liquids in small amounts and food will go into it and go get my new blender LOL.

Buddy, you CAN process liquids in the FP. At home I have some info that tells how much each size can handle. Clearly you can put more dry ingreds in than wet.

Back in the day before immersion blenders, I used to puree soups in the Cuisinart all the time. also make drinks like Brandy Alex's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom