"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Food Processors with Overheat Protection?

Does anybody know of a food processor with overheat protection? Mine just broke cause I overheated it. Tried googling it, but it only showed me blenders with that feature.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I would have thought that would be a feature of all good FPs. How old was yours?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

It's a Black & Decker FP1550S PowerPro II Food Processor. I bought it like 30 days ago? I bought it for 90.00 at this store, but I just checked online and its selling for 30.00 online. Black and Decker was nice and there sending me a brand new one, I just have to send them the broken one, not sure if I have to pay for shipping? My hairdryer shuts off automatically when it overheats, do good fp's do the same thing. Maybe it was because I was throwing in big chunks of chicken breast and not chopping it up to 1 inch sizes which caused it to smoke and break. Could also have been turning it upside down and washing it, and then a little water getting in to it.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Putting in too big chunks of meat will strain the motor. Certainly, getting water into electric appliances can be a killer.

Isn't the FP bowl removable? Usually that's all that needs cleaning. $30 - $90 for a FP is very low. Top rated full-size FPs cost a lot more.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Yeah its removable, but it also tended to leak a lot even when I stayed below the high water mark level. Yeah, I think I'll invest in a higher quality model.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117len View Post
Yeah its removable, but it also tended to leak a lot even when I stayed below the high water mark level. Yeah, I think I'll invest in a higher quality model.
I'd look at Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart in the 11 cup or larger size.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your help Andy, I'm going to research that now. :)
Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

"Maybe it was because I was throwing in big chunks of chicken breast and not chopping it up to 1 inch sizes which caused it to smoke and break. Could also have been turning it upside down and washing it, and then a little water getting in to it."

Hair dryers are made to produce heat, therefore have overheating protection. Food processors do not, therefore, follow the manufacturer's recommendations, cut the food to be processed into the proper size, don't immerse the motor or controls in water, and don't abuse the processor, requiring you to replace it.

Failure to act responsibly doesn't obligate a manufacturer to install safety features the machine was never intended to operate under.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Hair dryers are made to produce heat, therefore overheat protection. Food processors are not...

Failure to act responsibly doesn't require a manufacurer to install safety features the machine was never intended to operate under.
All appliances with electric motors produce heat as part of normal operation so they can all overheat. For that reason, many electric appliances that have electric motors come with overheating protection.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Your right I should have read the manual first, but having that overheat protection feature that some blender have would be nice. It was smoking at one point, could have caught fire.