Food Processors with Overheat Protection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

117len

Assistant Cook
Does anybody know of a food processor with overheat protection? Mine just broke cause I overheated it. Tried googling it, but it only showed me blenders with that feature.

It's a Black & Decker FP1550S PowerPro II Food Processor. I bought it like 30 days ago? I bought it for 90.00 at this store, but I just checked online and its selling for 30.00 online. Black and Decker was nice and there sending me a brand new one, I just have to send them the broken one, not sure if I have to pay for shipping? My hairdryer shuts off automatically when it overheats, do good fp's do the same thing. Maybe it was because I was throwing in big chunks of chicken breast and not chopping it up to 1 inch sizes which caused it to smoke and break. Could also have been turning it upside down and washing it, and then a little water getting in to it.

Putting in too big chunks of meat will strain the motor. Certainly, getting water into electric appliances can be a killer.

Isn't the FP bowl removable? Usually that's all that needs cleaning. $30 - $90 for a FP is very low. Top rated full-size FPs cost a lot more.

Yeah its removable, but it also tended to leak a lot even when I stayed below the high water mark level. Yeah, I think I'll invest in a higher quality model.

Yeah its removable, but it also tended to leak a lot even when I stayed below the high water mark level. Yeah, I think I'll invest in a higher quality model.

I'd look at Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart in the 11 cup or larger size.

Thanks for your help Andy, I'm going to research that now. :)

"Maybe it was because I was throwing in big chunks of chicken breast and not chopping it up to 1 inch sizes which caused it to smoke and break. Could also have been turning it upside down and washing it, and then a little water getting in to it."

Hair dryers are made to produce heat, therefore have overheating protection. Food processors do not, therefore, follow the manufacturer's recommendations, cut the food to be processed into the proper size, don't immerse the motor or controls in water, and don't abuse the processor, requiring you to replace it.

Failure to act responsibly doesn't obligate a manufacturer to install safety features the machine was never intended to operate under.

Hair dryers are made to produce heat, therefore overheat protection. Food processors are not...

Failure to act responsibly doesn't require a manufacurer to install safety features the machine was never intended to operate under.

All appliances with electric motors produce heat as part of normal operation so they can all overheat. For that reason, many electric appliances that have electric motors come with overheating protection.

Your right I should have read the manual first, but having that overheat protection feature that some blender have would be nice. It was smoking at one point, could have caught fire.

Overheat protection requires the installation of a thermistor and a voltage level detection circuit, costing about $4.00 that translates into a $money$ added onto the price of the machine... money that, in a competitive market, some makers don't want to tack on. Overvoltage and overcurrent protect, resulting from a jambed or stalled motor is cheap and required for a UL listing, but overheating protection is not.

They'd probably save money in the long run, they just sent me a brand new one for not having that feature, plus its a safety concern. My case is probably an unusual one though, being that I used it for about 1 hour almost non stop. I started to make these chicken breast and brocoli shakes and I'd make them for about two day worth. So about 8 shakes I'd process, first the meat then the whole shake. Should I get a commercial model for amount I'm doing?

My own unit is a combination food processor and has a separate blender attachment. Chopping up the ingredients, in small batches, using the food processor, could then be mixed into a shake using the blender.

As for the size or getting a commercial unit, I couldn't say. Will you always be making 8 shakes at a time?

Yeah that could be another option of blending in a blender for the last part. Your a Sous Chef had you ever needed to puree a meat like chicken breast before? I read some articles on making baby food and I pretty much follow those directions. I got two microwaves and the chicken breast package fits perfectly in each and I don't want to be cooking everyday. I like to just zap my shake for 1 minute and drink it in one gulp, very healthy. I also don't have a kitchen in the apartment I'm living at. I read most bodybuilders prepare there meals in advance so I'm most likely going to continue to prepare 8 shakes at a time. Most likely add breaks inbetween blends.

The "Sous Chef" is just part of the rating system here at Discuss Cooking based on the number of posts you've generated... not an occupation.

And no, I've never had the need to liquify meat before. Ages ago... in the last century, when I was going to school, I used to make a protein shake consisting of a Carnation Instant Breakfast, vitamin fortified protein powder and a raw egg. Now, I settle for a cup of coffee.

I do wish you luck in your body building endeavor.

Robot coupe R2N is protected-- Gage

Going from a $30 B&D to a Robot Coupe or Magimix (their home line) would be quite the stretch. You could get two dozen of the B&D for the price of an R2N. Of course, the R2N isn't going to burn down the apartment.

If you need to make that much at a time, you're going to need something heavier. Even then, an hour non-stop is an awful lot. The fourteen/sixteen cup food processors have great big motors, but they're absolute beasts for counter space. I don't know if they're really apartment material. If you're handling liquids, Cuisinart is a better choice than KitchenAid. The KA's liquid line is only a third of the bowl...and it will make a mess if you go over. The Cuisinart Elite models have a 20 year motor warranty too (3 years on the rest of it) versus one year on the KitchenAid. If you had a good blender for liquid handling, and used the FP for dryer ingredients, I'd go with the KitchenAid. They're pretty inexpensive (comparatively) and are easier to use IMO.

As far as I know only Cuisinart and KitchenAid -- of the food processors marketed for home cooks -- have the horsepower for some of the more strenuous tasks we wish our fps could do... like bread or cookie dough.

There is a reason why they cost more.

I got two microwaves and the chicken breast package fits perfectly in each and I don't want to be cooking everyday. I like to just zap my shake for 1 minute and drink it in one gulp, very healthy.

What is the chicken breast package made of? Also, are you making these shakes for a quick nutritional meal, or are you on some sort of liquid diet?

I missed typed, I don't put the entire package in. I take off the packaging and its frozen so the form of it still holds the packaged shape. A quick nutritional meal, not a liquid diet. 4 of my 5 meals are in shake form, except the last at night before bed.

I took the advice of the people who gave me advice and went with using my food processor to do the food and a blender to the finish off the liquid part of the process. I also did you research on "blenders for raw foods" and came up with Blendtec and Vitamix blenders as the top ones. I then read a review where they mentioned Oster blenders can do the same job and are a lot cheaper. I also googled commercial blenders and the cheapest one was the Oster Professional series, which bartenders use so I doubt I have to worry about overheating issues. Paid like 70.00 for it rather then 600 for a Blendtec or Vitamix. Probably buy Blendtec later though, they got a cool youtube channel called "Will it Blend" where they blend stuff like ipods and marbles.

Back
Top Bottom