Food Saver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bummer. Thanks for the info.
Looks like it's the cannister one for me then.

I received the FoodSaver brand "starter set" for Xmas from my husband. It has the unit, roll of bags, & canisters. Husband got it at CostCo for, I believe, around $100. CostCo also carries multi-pack rolls of the "bags" as well at a decent price.

Just visited Amazon. I was looking at the 845 model for around 80 bucks, read some nice reviews for the most part, then saw some with "advanced design". Supposedly shutting down the vacuum before crushing delicate items....
Are the ones with advanced design worth the much added cost? $116 - $148?
I imagine as a first time user I will be happy just having one, but don't want to sell myself short if there is some great feature in the more expensive ones.

Thanks

I never use the feature that lets you stop the sucktion before it is done, but I know others who love that feature. The features I love that I would not want to live without are:

One touch operation. I do not have to hold anything down. I just hit the button and walk away. It shuts off when it is done.

Accessory port so I can use it with canisters. This is probably my favorite feature. I use canisters 90% of the time and bags the other 10%.

Built in bag roll storage.

Built in bag cutter.

Truth be told you can stop the suction before it is done. Just stop and seal. I do it all the time on my $50 FS.
My first FS had the "one touch"--and it really didn't work that well for me. I had to press down. It may have been a question of adjusting the top, etc.

Thanks. That's just what I needed to hear.
The 845 model (cheaper one) comes with one canister plus a couple rolls of bag material, so has the accessory port, the bag storage, you hold down the top for 3 seconds to start the unit, but that part had some negative comments on it not working all the time from a couple reviewers....
Sounds like a good starter unit!
hmmm, now where am I going to put it :unsure:
:)

Darlene7 said:
I really want to buy a foodsaver but having trouble finding a website that talks about all the different things you can use it for - do any of you know of a website forum that will help me - can you use a foodsaver for ice cream? Want to find out about all the things (food wise) you can use it for.
Thanks for any info
Darlene

I just spoke to a customer service representative at FoodSaver and asked several questions about using them and which one would best fit my needs. I asked about storing ice cream, too. She said the canisters/containers are not recommended for freezer use so bags would be the only way to store ice cream. She and I both agreed that would be a messy situation.

I noticed that K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Linens 'n Things, and Sears all carry FoodSaver products in my area. Most of these same places have web addresses if there's not a physical store in your community.

In the Kitchen said:
I am wanting to invest in a Food Saver. Seems everyone has one. Would you mind telling me what brand and how much it cost? Find more things that really are necessary and I don't have one. Do they take up a lot of room? My kitchen small. Probably has to be stored in basement if it is bulky like most of my things. Thanks Do they require certain kind of storage bags? Most importantly are they worth all this?

Thanks for this post. I just bought a Kenmore brand food saver and am very interested in all the things you can do with one.:)

Ebay has a good amount of Foodsaver accessories..

Also, the Black & Decker Freshguard that I have is compatible with all Foodsaver bags and accessories...

-Brad

pacanis said:
I'd like it to last longer than it does and reading about the lettuce peaked my interest.
I live by myself and lettuce always goes bad before I use it all. I'll buy a head for tacos, maybe make a salad, go to grab some for a sandwich and it will be brown and slimy. I've tried tupperware, which takes up a lot of room, ziploc bags especially for fruits and veggies and wasn't impressed with either.
Anything that can get me another week+ out of a head of iceberg lettuce has my interest. :)

See my post #13.

I have read all the post Re: the use of the food saver.
Two comments:
I have found that it is best to freeze meat before vacuuming it. I believe I made a steak tough by sucking all the juice out of it. Freezing first, you don't have to worry about sucking the blood and juice into the machine.

The same would apply to Bananas. Not so much as sucking the juice from them but they would probably SQUASH!
I keep mine in a zip lock bag and have kept then over a month.

No problem with ice cream. It don't stay around long enough to neec vacuuming.

Charlie

Hungry said:
See my post #13.

:huh: This part?
"BTW I keep ice berg lettuce for over a month. My salad "fixins"
Lettuce in one container, veggies on another are good for 5 days."

I didn't really follow it the first time I read it. It reads like your carrots, peppers, tomatos..... (veggies) only last 5 days. That can't be right. Mine last a lot longer than that dropping them in the crisper drawer.
Good job on the lettuce, though. Wonder if a FS would get you a couple extra weeks?

Bags are available at WalMart by the roll--not a combo of different sizes as they sell at Costco. Also Amazon. I don't use the narrow bags very much so it isn't as cost effective to get them in the mix of bags as sold.
Bags can easily be re-used which is a big cost saving. Cut them larger than needed (for small items) and then save for another use.
I also will use a regular plastic bag inside if the item is particularly messy/juicy/sticky so cleaning the bag isn't such a problem.

I made guacamole and stored it in a FS container in the fridge for a week... and it was still fresh and green and beautiful!

spryte said:
I made guacamole and stored it in a FS container in the fridge for a week... and it was still fresh and green and beautiful!

You can freeze avocadoes in FS bags. To make quac--not attractive looking but taste is OK.

Hungry said:
I have read all the post Re: the use of the food saver.
Two comments:
I have found that it is best to freeze meat before vacuuming it. I believe I made a steak tough by sucking all the juice out of it. Freezing first, you don't have to worry about sucking the blood and juice into the machine.

The same would apply to Bananas. Not so much as sucking the juice from them but they would probably SQUASH!
I keep mine in a zip lock bag and have kept then over a month.

No problem with ice cream. It don't stay around long enough to neec vacuuming.

Charlie

I don't think I've had that problem with vacuum-sealed steaks.

To test how good the bags work in the fridge, I purposely vacuum-sealed some sliced cheddar cheese and let it stay there for almost a year.

Believe it or not, that cheese did not have so much as one speck of mold or mildew!

Ice cream, or sorbet, if homemade, can be kept in one of those 64-oz Glad containers, but put a piece of plastic wrap between the container and lid. This will help assure that no air gets in.

LRCooks said:
Is it ok to seal pearl onions in a mason jar for pantry storage?
Not really. Food Savers (and other vacuum packers) are not a substitute for canning. They will prolong the life of many foods, but they are not a way to preserve them.

Along the same lines, if something usually needs to be kept in the fridge, it will still need to be kept in the fridge after vacuum packing.

GB, I think he or she WANTS to use a mason jar for this purpose.

But I think it will have to take the whole sterilization and canning process to do it. Yes, you're right! For both the fridge AND freezer.

Last edited:
Actually, I want to just keep them from sprouting for a while. Not long term storage. Just a bit longer than I usually keep any onions. So, I'm not interested in canning - just a longer short term.

Back
Top Bottom