"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Here's a nice one...
FoodSaverŪ, America's #1 Selling Brand of Home Vacuum Packaging Systems

Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Foodsaver ideas

Candelbc
thank you so much for the link, helps a lot and found many ideas there - still would love to find a website were people really get into discussing uing the foodsaver in the kitchen - have so many questions. I saw on the website you directed me to that someone put peeled banannas in the foodsave and they stayed good in her referigerator for awhile, other places have said it does not work and not to do it, have you ever tried that?
Darlene

Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 AM   #13
Senior Cook

FS Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene7
I really want to buy a foodsaver but having trouble finding a website that talks about all the different things you can use it for - do any of you know of a website forum that will help me - can you use a foodsaver for ice cream? Want to find out about all the things (food wise) you can use it for.
Thanks for any info
Darlene

There is a users group on yahoo gropes.
This is My Yahoo but it will get you in the ball park:
http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups
As most forums you can browse but can't post until you subscribe.

I use to monitor it regularly. I still go there occasionally for an update on any new stuff they have came up with.

BTW I keep ice berg lettuce for over a month. My salad "fixins"
Lettuce in one container, veggies on another are good for 5 days.

Enjoy,
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene7
Candelbc
thank you so much for the link, helps a lot and found many ideas there - still would love to find a website were people really get into discussing uing the foodsaver in the kitchen - have so many questions. I saw on the website you directed me to that someone put peeled banannas in the foodsave and they stayed good in her referigerator for awhile, other places have said it does not work and not to do it, have you ever tried that?
Darlene
What are your specific needs? Banans will keep in the fridge for a good while without the FS. The model that has the canisters does extend the "life" of lettuce and fruits like strawberries. But how long do you want that to go on--eventually the food needs to be used.
I have had one that did that--it didn't work particularly well (the machine) and I have gone back to the one with just vacuum and seal which I would not be without in my kitchen.
The other night I simulated the vacuum marinating by putting my skirt steak in marinade and in a plastic bag and then a FS bag. Pulled the vacuum and sealed. The marinating was complete in 20 minutes.
Keeping cheese fresh is the absolute primary use I make of all of mine.
If you have leftovers, you can seal them and they keep better and fresher. Freeze strawberries or other berries and the vacuum seal them. They will keep in the freezer for YEARS.
Re-seal and vacuum seal bacon if you only use a few pieces as we do. It stays fresh rather than going "off".
YOu can get one for $50. It isn't a huge investment.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #15
Cook

I use mine to seal just about anything I know will go bad.

I seal meats mostly, and our homemade bread crumbs, seeds, sprouts (Before they are sprouted). I haven't done veggies yet, but I shall venture in that direction soon. It is a wonder machine, even though I cannot convince my hubby it is better than just slapping food in a regular Zploc style bag...go figure.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
The model that has the canisters does extend the "life" of lettuce and fruits like strawberries. But how long do you want that to go on--eventually the food needs to be used.
I'd like it to last longer than it does and reading about the lettuce peaked my interest.
I live by myself and lettuce always goes bad before I use it all. I'll buy a head for tacos, maybe make a salad, go to grab some for a sandwich and it will be brown and slimy. I've tried tupperware, which takes up a lot of room, ziploc bags especially for fruits and veggies and wasn't impressed with either.
Anything that can get me another week+ out of a head of iceberg lettuce has my interest.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I put a half head of lettuce in a food saver container once as a test. After 3 weeks in the fridge it was still as good as the day I bought it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

So you need to get the FS that uses the containers to preserve lettuce..... you can't put it in a large bag and keep resealing the bag?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
Master Chef

No, drawing the air out of the bag would crush the lettuce. That is why the containers come in handy, for those more delicate things that can't stand up to being vaccumm packed. I even did a half of an avacado (left the seed in to help hold it's shape) and it kept for over 2 weeks!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #20
Sous Chef

The Foodsaver sounds like a cool idea. I have no idea what it is though.