"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
Bummer. Thanks for the info.
Looks like it's the cannister one for me then.

pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #22
Master Chef
I received the FoodSaver brand "starter set" for Xmas from my husband. It has the unit, roll of bags, & canisters. Husband got it at CostCo for, I believe, around $100. CostCo also carries multi-pack rolls of the "bags" as well at a decent price.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Just visited Amazon. I was looking at the 845 model for around 80 bucks, read some nice reviews for the most part, then saw some with "advanced design". Supposedly shutting down the vacuum before crushing delicate items....
Are the ones with advanced design worth the much added cost? $116 - $148?
I imagine as a first time user I will be happy just having one, but don't want to sell myself short if there is some great feature in the more expensive ones.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer
I never use the feature that lets you stop the sucktion before it is done, but I know others who love that feature. The features I love that I would not want to live without are:

One touch operation. I do not have to hold anything down. I just hit the button and walk away. It shuts off when it is done.

Accessory port so I can use it with canisters. This is probably my favorite feature. I use canisters 90% of the time and bags the other 10%.

Built in bag roll storage.

Built in bag cutter.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
Sous Chef
Truth be told you can stop the suction before it is done. Just stop and seal. I do it all the time on my $50 FS.
My first FS had the "one touch"--and it really didn't work that well for me. I had to press down. It may have been a question of adjusting the top, etc.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
Thanks. That's just what I needed to hear.
The 845 model (cheaper one) comes with one canister plus a couple rolls of bag material, so has the accessory port, the bag storage, you hold down the top for 3 seconds to start the unit, but that part had some negative comments on it not working all the time from a couple reviewers....
Sounds like a good starter unit!
hmmm, now where am I going to put it
Old 03-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by Darlene7
I really want to buy a foodsaver but having trouble finding a website that talks about all the different things you can use it for - do any of you know of a website forum that will help me - can you use a foodsaver for ice cream? Want to find out about all the things (food wise) you can use it for.
Thanks for any info
I just spoke to a customer service representative at FoodSaver and asked several questions about using them and which one would best fit my needs. I asked about storing ice cream, too. She said the canisters/containers are not recommended for freezer use so bags would be the only way to store ice cream. She and I both agreed that would be a messy situation.

I noticed that K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Linens 'n Things, and Sears all carry FoodSaver products in my area. Most of these same places have web addresses if there's not a physical store in your community.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #28
Master Chef
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I am wanting to invest in a Food Saver. Seems everyone has one. Would you mind telling me what brand and how much it cost? Find more things that really are necessary and I don't have one. Do they take up a lot of room? My kitchen small. Probably has to be stored in basement if it is bulky like most of my things. Thanks Do they require certain kind of storage bags? Most importantly are they worth all this?
Thanks for this post. I just bought a Kenmore brand food saver and am very interested in all the things you can do with one.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #29
Senior Cook
Ebay has a good amount of Foodsaver accessories..

Also, the Black & Decker Freshguard that I have is compatible with all Foodsaver bags and accessories...

candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #30
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by pacanis
I'd like it to last longer than it does and reading about the lettuce peaked my interest.
I live by myself and lettuce always goes bad before I use it all. I'll buy a head for tacos, maybe make a salad, go to grab some for a sandwich and it will be brown and slimy. I've tried tupperware, which takes up a lot of room, ziploc bags especially for fruits and veggies and wasn't impressed with either.
Anything that can get me another week+ out of a head of iceberg lettuce has my interest.

See my post #13.

Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote