Food Saver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LRCooks said:
Actually, I want to just keep them from sprouting for a while. Not long term storage. Just a bit longer than I usually keep any onions. So, I'm not interested in canning - just a longer short term.
For short term storage, yes it should work well.

LRCooks said:
Actually, I want to just keep them from sprouting for a while. Not long term storage. Just a bit longer than I usually keep any onions. So, I'm not interested in canning - just a longer short term.

Did you mean vacuum seal them and then put them in a mason jar?:ermm:
I'm a bit confused.

The wide mouth jar sealer is great, but do not get the small mouth jar sealer. Those do not seem to work well for some reason. Here is a great trick though. It you want to seal a small mouth jar just put that jar in a canister large enough to hold it. Put the lid on the jar is if you were going to seal it. Put the top on the canister and seal the canister. Then once that is done open the canister. When you do that they small jar inside will seal itself.

HOw interesting, GB. There really isn't any reason you couldn't do this with a bag. No need for the canister or the FS that has that capability. Cool.

GB said:
I don't follow Candocook. How would you seal a small mouth jar with a bag?

You said to put the small mouth jar in the canister and seal the canister, and then you could remove it and the small mouth jar would be sealed. Seal it using a bag and take it out of the bag. Maybe I didn't understand you correctly.

I don't think it would work with a bad. Even if it did, you would be using up your bags that way.

Not to mention it would be kind of difficult, if not impossible to put a jar in a bag standing up so that the contents did not spill out.

I'm going to give the idea of sealing a small mouth jar in a canister. It seem that it should work. I'll soon find out.;)

Essiebunny said:
I'm going to give the idea of sealing a small mouth jar in a canister. It seem that it should work. I'll soon find out.;)
Make sure to use the jar ring (loosely) to keep the lid in the right spot while sealing.

Copied from the FoodSaver Yahoo! Group:

SEALING ODD SIZE JARS IN A BAG:

I was having trouble getting the canning lids to seal. I made a bag
that is large enough to put in a 1/2 gallon jar standing upright and
reach my sealer that is located on top of my microwave. I just put
the jar into the bag put the lid on and very loosely put the ring on
the jar. Then I vacuum seal it until the red (sealing) light comes
on. Presto the canning jar is sealed. I have been using the same bag
for 2 months now (it doesn't get sealed if you turn the machine off
as soon as the red light comes on). I have yet to have one jar that
doesn't seal.
----------

Sealing a small mouth jar in a bag is a great idea if you don't have
the small sealer. I use a can but using the bag is a wonderful idea.
My compact II wouldn't let me do that because I don't have the stop
feature. When my sealer stops the bag is sealed. But what a great
idea using the bag.
----------

I also have a Compact II but I do not have any problem with the bags
sealing. Just take your finger off the button as soon as the sealing
light turns red and the bag won't get sealed. I have been using the
same bag for a couple of months now and it has not sealed the bag
once.

Very cool. Thank you.The jar sealing feature was the one BIG thing I wanted when I got the FS that did all that--and it never worked well. Now I can do it with my cheapo.

Candocook said:
Very cool. Thank you.The jar sealing feature was the one BIG thing I wanted when I got the FS that did all that--and it never worked well. Now I can do it with my cheapo.

Candocook, I forgot to mention this, but there are optional plastic vacuum sealing jars that can be used with you FS that lets you vacuum seal stuff in.

But only dry foods like cookies, chips and crackers can be kept out, while wet foods must be kept refrigerated.

I got a set of FS jars that I can't use because I switched over to a Kenmore unit, so I had to buy the Kenmore jars. If you want them, I can send then to you. They were NEVER used.

That is great that you can use bags to seal jars. For those that do not have an accessory port that will be a very handy feature.

LRCooks said:
Is it ok to seal pearl onions in a mason jar for pantry storage?

Not if you want to retain texture and prohibit the growth of molds and bacteria.

If you want to keep them from sprouting, for longer than you can keep them under normal conditions - you need to: blanch, peel, and freeze them.

Just sticking them in a mason jar will only promote the growth of the bacteria on the suface and raise the humidity that molds need to proliferate.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Candocook, I forgot to mention this, but there are optional plastic vacuum sealing jars that can be used with you FS that lets you vacuum seal stuff in.

But only dry foods like cookies, chips and crackers can be kept out, while wet foods must be kept refrigerated.

I got a set of FS jars that I can't use because I switched over to a Kenmore unit, so I had to buy the Kenmore jars. If you want them, I can send then to you. They were NEVER used.

Corey, your offer is generous, but my point has been that I don't have the one with the port to draw from the canisters. I had it, it didn't work very well, and then it stopped working all together. That was my second FS. My first one (maybe 10 years ago) and my present one are the plain suck and seal type that I find totally adequate. I did like the idea of sealing things in jars, however--not for long term storage or preservation at ALL--but for freshness, like crackers. We live in a very humid summertime place.

Why on earth did you change brands and make your investment obsolete?

And just for information apparently the FS technical staff are VERY very helpful if you have a situation like mine. Apparently these can be taken apart, perhaps cleaning the vacuum pump, and fixed right at home. I still have mine, and intend to give to DS to try to fix.

Michael in FtW said:
Not if you want to retain texture and prohibit the growth of molds and bacteria.

If you want to keep them from sprouting, for longer than you can keep them under normal conditions - you need to: blanch, peel, and freeze them.

Just sticking them in a mason jar will only promote the growth of the bacteria on the suface and raise the humidity that molds need to proliferate.

Not sure about that. It won't have humidity nor oxygen so I don't think they would spoil. They wouldn't keep "forever" but just might keep longer.

Candocook said:
Corey, your offer is generous, but my point has been that I don't have the one with the port to draw from the canisters. I had it, it didn't work very well, and then it stopped working all together. That was my second FS. My first one (maybe 10 years ago) and my present one are the plain suck and seal type that I find totally adequate. I did like the idea of sealing things in jars, however--not for long term storage or preservation at ALL--but for freshness, like crackers. We live in a very humid summertime place.

Why on earth did you change brands and make your investment obsolete?

And just for information apparently the FS technical staff are VERY very helpful if you have a situation like mine. Apparently these can be taken apart, perhaps cleaning the vacuum pump, and fixed right at home. I still have mine, and intend to give to DS to try to fix.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, they come with or without that feature. The one that I had before the Kenmore unit also had that feature, but in only about 2-1/2 to 3 years, the thing went south.

The heater strip that seals the bags after vacuuming, had stopped working, so I had no choice but to throw it away.

But if you plan to get one with the port / accessory tube feature, let me know. I still might have the FS jars around. Good luck!

PS: The Kenmore unit is also made by the same co. that makes the Food Saver -
Tillia, BTW, even though Kenmore is styled a bit differently.

Just like Cuisinart makes FP's for Kenmore. Sears appliances aren't made by Kenmore. Other co's make their stuff, right up to the major appliances, so you should still get good value on things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom