Food Saver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
The heater strip that seals the bags after vacuuming, had stopped working, so I had no choice but to throw it away.
Actually you did have other options. One would have been to call the company. Anyone I know who has had a problem and called have always either received a new unit or a replacement part until they were satisfied.

I just didn't want to go through that madness, so I just went on and bought a new one.

I thought that they were only warrantied for a year. I had that one well over a year.

Madness? I would think going to a store would be much more difficult than picking up the phone and making a 2 minute call. Well as long as you are satisfied now I guess that is all that matters.

Yay!!!! My wide mouth jar sealer has arrived!!! I can't wait to seal up my choco-chips, coconut, dried fruits, other little baking things, leftovers... all kinds of stutff in mason jars!!!

Spryte,
I know your joy. I got my wide mout jar sealer and mason jars last week and reordered my pantry. After a couple of muffs it went beautifully!

Have fun!!!

I used my foodsaver canisters for the first time today. I put in some large marshmallows and was very suprised when they got so large. For some reason I thought they were going to shrink.:shock: Duh!! The potato chips I put in another canister didn't appear to do anything.I know they will not get larger or shrink but what is happening inside these little buggers?

Last edited:
As you may already know, most molds, spoilage, staleness and mildew depend heavily on air to thrive and become increasingly active.

Without that, there is no chance at all of any spoilage once the air is sucked out of the jars, as with the bags. The marshmallows will return to their normal size when you break the vacuum seal.

The chips will stay fresher longer because your unit pulled all the air out of the jar and sealing it tight to keep any air from getting in.

Almost similar to canning.

Corey123 said:
As you may already know, most molds, spoilage, staleness and mildew depend heavily on air to thrive and become increasingly active.

Without that, there is no chance at all of any spoilage once the air is sucked out of the jars, as with the bags. The marshmallows will return to their normal size when you break the vacuum seal.

The chips will stay fresher longer because your unit pulled all the air out of the jar and sealing it tight to keep any air from getting in.

Almost similar to canning.

Thanks for the information, Corey123. I sure love having my foodsaver. All my kids are thinking of getting one now.

Ok... I LOVE the wide mouth jar sealer and sealing things in mason jars. But my thumb hurts from poking holes in the lids with a push pin!

sattie said:
Sorry, dumb question... but why you pokin holes in the lids?

If you poke a hole in the top, then cover it with a piece of electrical tape (fold a bit of the end over itself, so you have a pull tab), then you can release the vacuum without having to pry off the lid. You just lift the tape. No bent lids so they are totally reusable!

GB said:
Actually you did have other options. One would have been to call the company. Anyone I know who has had a problem and called have always either received a new unit or a replacement part until they were satisfied.

Do you how aggravated I am with myself now? I assumed (yes, I know) I'd have to have the darned receipt to get any satisfaction. I tossed it right in the garbage. :bangin:

btw, a friend told me that you could go on their site and buy reconditioned food savers for quite a discount. I haven't looked at them yet.

JoAnn L. said:
Thanks for the information, Corey123. I sure love having my foodsaver. All my kids are thinking of getting one now.

You're welcome!

Having one of these is your best defense against food spoilage, and it helps save you money!

I'm in.
I was just flipping the channels and QVC has the advanced top of the line model with the cereal size cannister, different size bags and two different sizes of bag material for roughly $121 with the shipping. Comes with a DVD, too or something..... that will make two DVDs I own. I was wondering when I would use that player again.....:LOL:
I didn't even know cereal could go bad, but it will be fun to get it and start sealing these things that I buy in bulk. Like hamburger patties, pork chops, chicken thighs. No more messing around with plastic wrap and zip-loc bags. And when I buy rolls they always get stale before I use them all. I usually try to freeze them before they get that far, but of course they're never the same after that. Can't wait :)

Cereal doesn't go "bad". It gets limp or stale from humidity.
When sealing bread/rolls, freeze first. or I guess do in a canister.
If you wrap/bag wet things like meat first, then the bags will clean up easier after you open them.

Candocook said:
Cereal doesn't go "bad". It gets limp or stale from humidity.
When sealing bread/rolls, freeze first. or I guess do in a canister.
If you wrap/bag wet things like meat first, then the bags will clean up easier after you open them.

I was wondering.... :huh: I get on cereal kicks and then stop. I know I have eaten stuff that has been in my cupboard for half a year. I didn't notice anything bad or stale, so I'll assume I don't have a humidity problem. Maybe the canister will be good for rolls then.

I'll have to reread all the suggestions now that I have one coming in. The first thing I thought about was how do I use it to seal chile? Right now I put it in a zip-loc and squeeze the bag a little as I'm pinching it closed. I'm going to guess, and it probably was mentioned in this thread already, that you can't use the Foodsaver on liquids directly? I need to freeze it first then transfer it?

pacanis said:
I'll have to reread all the suggestions now that I have one coming in. The first thing I thought about was how do I use it to seal chile? Right now I put it in a zip-loc and squeeze the bag a little as I'm pinching it closed. I'm going to guess, and it probably was mentioned in this thread already, that you can't use the Foodsaver on liquids directly? I need to freeze it first then transfer it?

You're right, pacanis. In order to seal liquids in a FoodSaver bag, they have to be frozen first because liquids can be sucked into the vacuum mechanism and ruin it. To vacuum pack liquids, first freeze them in something like a loaf pan so that you will end up with a "block" of soup, stew, chili, whatever. Remove the now-solid "liquid" and vacuum seal as you would solid items.

Thanks Katie E.
I was hoping when they menitioned the drip tray in the unit they had come up with something. Looks like I'll have to start saving my sour cream containers to make small Shriner's hats of chile, but then it will take up more room than freezing it flat in a plastic bag.... always something :rolleyes:

pacanis, for chili what I would do it put it in zip lock bags and then freeze flat. Then put the zip lock bag (open, not zipped) into the foodsaver bag and seal that way. Not only will it keep your foodsaver bag clean so you can re-use it, but it will also be easier to store the flat frozen food as you can stack them or like them up like books.

Back
Top Bottom