"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #71
Master Chef

Sorry, dumb question... but why you pokin holes in the lids?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #72
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Sorry, dumb question... but why you pokin holes in the lids?
If you poke a hole in the top, then cover it with a piece of electrical tape (fold a bit of the end over itself, so you have a pull tab), then you can release the vacuum without having to pry off the lid. You just lift the tape. No bent lids so they are totally reusable!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Actually you did have other options. One would have been to call the company. Anyone I know who has had a problem and called have always either received a new unit or a replacement part until they were satisfied.
Do you how aggravated I am with myself now? I assumed (yes, I know) I'd have to have the darned receipt to get any satisfaction. I tossed it right in the garbage.

btw, a friend told me that you could go on their site and buy reconditioned food savers for quite a discount. I haven't looked at them yet.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #74
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
Thanks for the information, Corey123. I sure love having my foodsaver. All my kids are thinking of getting one now.

You're welcome!

Having one of these is your best defense against food spoilage, and it helps save you money!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm in.
I was just flipping the channels and QVC has the advanced top of the line model with the cereal size cannister, different size bags and two different sizes of bag material for roughly $121 with the shipping. Comes with a DVD, too or something..... that will make two DVDs I own. I was wondering when I would use that player again.....
I didn't even know cereal could go bad, but it will be fun to get it and start sealing these things that I buy in bulk. Like hamburger patties, pork chops, chicken thighs. No more messing around with plastic wrap and zip-loc bags. And when I buy rolls they always get stale before I use them all. I usually try to freeze them before they get that far, but of course they're never the same after that. Can't wait
Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #76
Sous Chef

Cereal doesn't go "bad". It gets limp or stale from humidity.
When sealing bread/rolls, freeze first. or I guess do in a canister.
If you wrap/bag wet things like meat first, then the bags will clean up easier after you open them.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Cereal doesn't go "bad". It gets limp or stale from humidity.
When sealing bread/rolls, freeze first. or I guess do in a canister.
If you wrap/bag wet things like meat first, then the bags will clean up easier after you open them.
I was wondering.... I get on cereal kicks and then stop. I know I have eaten stuff that has been in my cupboard for half a year. I didn't notice anything bad or stale, so I'll assume I don't have a humidity problem. Maybe the canister will be good for rolls then.

I'll have to reread all the suggestions now that I have one coming in. The first thing I thought about was how do I use it to seal chile? Right now I put it in a zip-loc and squeeze the bag a little as I'm pinching it closed. I'm going to guess, and it probably was mentioned in this thread already, that you can't use the Foodsaver on liquids directly? I need to freeze it first then transfer it?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis

I'll have to reread all the suggestions now that I have one coming in. The first thing I thought about was how do I use it to seal chile? Right now I put it in a zip-loc and squeeze the bag a little as I'm pinching it closed. I'm going to guess, and it probably was mentioned in this thread already, that you can't use the Foodsaver on liquids directly? I need to freeze it first then transfer it?
You're right, pacanis. In order to seal liquids in a FoodSaver bag, they have to be frozen first because liquids can be sucked into the vacuum mechanism and ruin it. To vacuum pack liquids, first freeze them in something like a loaf pan so that you will end up with a "block" of soup, stew, chili, whatever. Remove the now-solid "liquid" and vacuum seal as you would solid items.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Katie E.
I was hoping when they menitioned the drip tray in the unit they had come up with something. Looks like I'll have to start saving my sour cream containers to make small Shriner's hats of chile, but then it will take up more room than freezing it flat in a plastic bag.... always something
Old 03-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #80
Chief Eating Officer

pacanis, for chili what I would do it put it in zip lock bags and then freeze flat. Then put the zip lock bag (open, not zipped) into the foodsaver bag and seal that way. Not only will it keep your foodsaver bag clean so you can re-use it, but it will also be easier to store the flat frozen food as you can stack them or like them up like books.