"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Food Saver

I am wanting to invest in a Food Saver. Seems everyone has one. Would you mind telling me what brand and how much it cost? Find more things that really are necessary and I don't have one. Do they take up a lot of room? My kitchen small. Probably has to be stored in basement if it is bulky like most of my things. Thanks Do they require certain kind of storage bags? Most importantly are they worth all this?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Master Chef

ITK... I have owned one for the past 5 years or more and could not imagine my life without one. I use it for just about everything and it was well worth the money. There are various models out there of the Tilia Foodsaver, you could probably get away with the most basic modle. Mine has the jar sealer on it, but I rarely use it. I imagine they cost any where from $75 to $200 these days.

They are a bit bulky, but I ditched the toaster oven (in the bottom of the pantry now) for my foodsaver... I use it more than any other counter appliance.

Yes, special bags are needed, but they can be used over and over. After the bag is empty, I spray it with an anti-bacterial spray and let set and then soak in hot water. Then rinse and dry. It may be a good idea to separate the ones you use for meat vs other products. But I have never had a problem with it. Also, when labelling your bags, use the part that you will cut off so that each time you use your bag, you will have new space to write what is in it without confusing yourself.

This is one purchase I have never regretted!!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I wouldn't be without one. I have had 3. I have gone back to the one that just pulls a vaccuum and seals (no special plastic canisters, etc.--the one I had that did that never worked particularly well.
Anyway, I just bought one like the latter at Tuesday Morning for $35!! TM has been carrying various models for some time now and if you have access to one, try there first.
Amazon has them for very good prices. The plain one is usually about $50, others for $75 with the expanded features.
Yes, you need to use the bags designe for FS. Tuesday Morning has had good buys on them also. WalMart carries them.
When using bags, there are ways of "stretching" --they can be used over . Wash and use. If I am sealing something "messy" I put it in another plastic bag so there isn't so much cleanup of the FS bag. If you are going to seal something (such as cheese) in a FS bag, and know you will be using the product, cut the bag larger than needed(originally) so that it can be re-sealed when you have opened it.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I don't have a FoodSaver brand, I have a Black & Decker Model that can use all of the Foodsaver attachments and bags..

Like everyone else, I wouldn't want to be without one. I don't tend to seal raw foods as much as I do cooked.. I use it primarily by freezing already cooked (grilled) Chicken Breasts and browned Hambuger. Then if I want something with a Chicken Breast, I merely drop the frozen cooked Chicken Breast into boiling hot water for 5-8 minutes.. Comes out tasting like it was on the grill..

I made Taco's one night in about 5 minutes.. Cause the Chicken and Beef were already cooked.. Just needed to be warmed up!

I do save money by buying in bulk, but it's really a conveinence factor for me.. I'd be happy to share all of the ways I use it if you're more interested..

-Brad
Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Appreciate

As always, you guys help me all the time and I do so appreciate it. As long as I have someone who has used them and it seems as though you wouldn't be without them, I will start my day of looking for them. We do have Tuesday Morning. You really have to be there when they set the items out in order to get the good ones. I have gone there many times and have been what I consider lucky. So back I go. I feel so sure about making the investment in Foodsaver that it will be money well spent. Hopefully, it will save me time and money too. Tilia never heard of it. Will google and see what comes up. Target showed something like Tupperware. Not what I wanted.

thanks all.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have the new advanced design, SS in color. Works great! The three uses I get most out of it are:
- Buying ~15 lbs. of New york steak ($4/lb) and cutting my own steaks, packing them individually and freezing.
- marinating quickly (in the special container) -- really does work well.
- when I smoke a couple pork puts and have LOTS of leftovers.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
As always, you guys help me all the time and I do so appreciate it. As long as I have someone who has used them and it seems as though you wouldn't be without them, I will start my day of looking for them. We do have Tuesday Morning. You really have to be there when they set the items out in order to get the good ones. I have gone there many times and have been what I consider lucky. So back I go. I feel so sure about making the investment in Foodsaver that it will be money well spent. Hopefully, it will save me time and money too. Tilia never heard of it. Will google and see what comes up. Target showed something like Tupperware. Not what I wanted.

thanks all.
The Tuesday Morning FSs are just on the shelf.They have been having them pretty regularly, as I said. Probably in another thread and on every thread about a FS, it will flat save you money in spoiled food--I have saved enough in cheese alone!.
Look on Amazon. Shipping is usually free (choose the one that gives free shipping). QVC "may" have it, but Amazon is better in my opinion.
I only seal cheeses, meats, things that need to be 'sheltered from air and frostbite. Liquids don't need to be vacuum sealed. I usually don't bother to vacuum seal my browned hamburger meat--I do that also.
YOU WILL LOOOOOVVVVE it.!!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I got a Kenmore, which works very well.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Well, I'm excited to say i went to Tuesday Morning and found several models of FoodSavers. I bought one - they were all priced the same and appeared to be basically the same-I got V1205. Will be heading to Sam's for our monthly bulk trip and will be using to separate meat, poultry, etc.My Daughter and I are planning to do a Saturday cooking day to make some casseroles and other stuff that would help in time crunches.

There are some really great prices on asparagus now. Would it do well to blanch asparagus and freeze, then package with the FS.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I really want to buy a foodsaver but having trouble finding a website that talks about all the different things you can use it for - do any of you know of a website forum that will help me - can you use a foodsaver for ice cream? Want to find out about all the things (food wise) you can use it for.
Thanks for any info
Darlene