"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
here we go again....it's the Food Saver brand....

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I don't think foodsaver is an actual brand (but I could be wrong). I am pretty sure Sams carries Tillia, but I have never been there so I am not sure.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, I'm off to find out right now! Thanks GB

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

It's like Emerilware is a brand name for a line of cookware made by AllClad. FoodSave is the brand name (aka registered trademark) and it is made by Tilia: http://www.foodsaver.com.

I, too, have heard and read test results that this is the best brand - that's why I got that brand. One thing I would suggest is to make sure it has the "one touch" feature (you just press the button and let it go) ... I have the older model that you have to keep holding the button down until it's through. And, that accessory port that allows you to seal mason jars is a must - IMHO!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 AM   #15
Master Chef

The one I have has the port but I haven't been out to Walmart to buy the canisters yet. I warn you using this thing is addicting . The only odd thing I've sealed so far is the lettuce. I'll take the advice and get a canister for this though. Thanks for the tip on the paper towel to absorb the liquids.....I'll give this a try.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:37 AM   #16
Master Chef

Sizz .... the first time I did lettuce my first thought was .. oh my gosh, what have I done? But, it bounced right back when I opened the bag a couple of days later! I was impressed!!!

I love the cannisters - they are reusable ... and cheaper in the long run than the bags.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
...The other trick is to take a paper towel and fold it up and put it in the bag at the top before you seal it. This way any juices that do make it up that far will be absorbed by the paper towel...
That's what I do, and it works great. The funny thing is the element of suspense it adds to the process - I stand there holding the button down hoping that the paper towel will not get saturated & let the juices flow out anyway before the heat sealer kicks in.

BTW, don't save bread in the bags - it does NOT pop back looking like new! ;)
Tom
Old 07-31-2005, 12:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

Sorry Sizz - I just went back and read your original question ... my fault .... stupid me ....

Cut your bag about 4-inches long .... put your stuff in it, put it into a freezer safe baking dish/pan so that the open end of the bag is higher than the stuff in the bag .... and freeze it for 4-8 hours. Then, vacuum seal it. The liquid will be frozen so you don't have to worry about liquids being sucked up into the machine.

I do this with anything liquid like pasta sauces .... I put them into gladware containers and freeze them ... then pop them out and put them into the plastic bags and process (suck and seal) them.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 AM   #19
Head Chef

I love my foodsaver. I like to buy cheese & meat in bulk- cleaning up is a pain, so when I'm cutting steaks or chops I like to do a whole loin at a time. Then I just vac them into packages about the size I need for each meal.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:41 AM   #20
Head Chef

These things sound brilliant, I don't know if we have them here but i will look into it cause when my brother toured around Australia in his 4WD they paid the butcher $2 per bag to vac pack their meat.