Food Saver....I love it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a thought. You could freeze everything together, but put the lemon slices in a plastic sandwich bag and put that in with everything else that way the lemon is not in contact with the fish and does not cook it.

I had one of those units.

But the thing that really aggravated the crap out of me was the fact that the bags would come friggen loose!! After following everything to the letter, the bags would friggen lose their vacuum seal.:mad:

I'd go look in the freezer for a chicken, beef stew or a roast to cook and find out that the meat has come loose in the bag, is moving around, air has worked its way into the bags and there's no more vacuum seal, which is supposed to keep the air out of the bag!!:mad:

Over time, I found out that the appliance just wouldn't work!! It would vacuum, but the heater strip had stopped working!:ermm:

I threw it out, along with all the bags that came with it, and got a Kenmore
vacuum sealer. It works great! No more losing the vacuum seal in the bags and no more loose bags caused by air getting into them and spoiling the food!!:chef:

~Corey123.

Love Them

I have had a foodsaver for about 8 or 9 years now and love it. Like GB stated, the port for sealing canisters and mason jars is great. I store brown sugar in them and it never gets hard or crusty. I once sealed a half of avacado and it kept for 3 weeks without turning brown, and tasted just as good as the day I cut it up. You will get your money's worth out of it!

I had those jars too, and found out that the Kenmore unit's port and tube wouldn't work with those, so I had to get the Kenmore vacuum jars.

Corey123.

Corey, are you saying that the FoodSaver was defective, or my particular FoodSaver mode .. V475?

Didn't know Sears sold a vacuum sealer.

Yours isn't. Mine was. Mine was the V-550.

Over time, I suspected that it was the heating strip to be the culprit, because the machine would vacuum. It just wasn't seeling propoerly - which was why the bags kept on losing their vacuum seal and all they ended up with was being full of air and the frozen food sliding around in the bag very freely.

I almos lost several bags of boneless pork chops because of this, and even after buying the Kenmore unit, I used those bags from the Food Saver unit with it. They STILL kept on friggen losing their vacuum seal.

Having had enough of this crap and being sick & tired of being sick & tired, I threw out all of those unused Food Saver bags, along with the ones that were used before, went back to Sears and got a big supply of Kenmore vacuum seal bags!

Now, that constant ongoing aggravating problem with keeping the bags vacuum-sealed has been eliminated once and for all!

Yes, Sears sells their unit under the Kenmore name. It's made by Tilia - the same co. that makes the Food Saver units. They also sell the Tilia machines as well.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
You can freeze avocadoes sealed in the vacuum sealer. Just halve them, take out the pit, seal and freeze.

Gretchen said:
You can freeze avocadoes sealed in the vacuum sealer. Just halve them, take out the pit, seal and freeze.

I LOVE avocado .. YUM YUM YUM .. This will be a good way to just use what I need. Thank you :)

I've only been here a few days and already love this group. :)

Cindy

Food Saver (by Tillia) is not the only brand and from my reading on the Food Saver group not necessarily the best. Tillia has put out some very cheap units - some that use very thin and easily damaged bags - they weren't made to survive any time in the freezer.

With respect to marinades I would freeze the meat in the marinade then pull the seal.

I know I've saved hundreds with our Foodsaver.

Yeah, the one that I had was a cheap piece of crap that only lasted a few years. I ordered it through the infommercial back then. And you might be right about the bags! You'd think that they would make those a little better to hold up against the rigors and torture of frozen food storage.

The thing just wasn't sealing the bags properly and lead to them losing the vacuum seal which was allowed to escape out and be replaced by dangerous damaging air. The main reason that I bought that unit in the first place was to help eliminate food spoilage in the freezer. But instead, it was contributing to the cause of spoilage!

And you're also right about Tilia not being the only vacuum sealer brand!
Rival also makes a vacuum bag sealer and the vacuum bags. Called Seal-A-Meal, this appliance was once made by Daisy in the early to mid '70s. It sealed the food in bags, but it didn't have the vacuum seal feature for them back then. I had one of those units.

I've always had a separate small deep freezer besides the one the fridge has. For many years! Everyone in my family has one. It's been a ritual that our moms and grandmother started when we were all home and growing up. It's also like having extra money in the bank.

And I've also had more than my share of foods and expensive meats drying out, getting freezer burn, spoiling and becoming pale-brown & rancid. Never thought that food could actually spoil in the freezer. But it can if it's not packaged properly! With my new Kenmore unit, this can now be avoided.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
vacuum sealer

I Just purchased one on Amazon the V2860.This thing is awesome..The DVD video suggests that if you seal wet materials you should place it in the freezer for 1 hour or so, or add a paper towel just below the area that is going to be sealed and this will stop the extra juice to be shot into the sealer...

good luck

Back
Top Bottom