"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Master Chef

Food Saver....I love it!

I finally got me a vaccum food saver. I love it! Thank goodness they gave a free roll of plastic because I'm having a ball with it. The only trouble I've found so far is trying to seal meat/veggies that have been marinated. When I try to vaccum seal it it sucks out some of the excess juices, even though I thought I got them drained pretty well. I may have to invest in some of the containers for this. Any suggestions?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've always wanted one but wondered about the same thing - is there a way to clean where the marinade/juice comes out? Or are you just outta luck and have to vacuum in different packaging?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

Not sure kitch. You should see what the thing does to lettuce....kinda freaky actually to see it shrivel up I even vaccum sealed 1/2 an onion I didn't need at the moment. I did that about 9 days ago and opened it yesterday and it was just like the day I sealed it.
I didn't go all out and buy the fancy kind. I just bought the Black & Decker for like $48.00 at Wal Mart. I am going to go ahead and invest in some of the containers though.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info Sizzlin - 9 days ago and still that fresh? Wow. A friend of mine has a family of 3 and they are on the go all the time (home one evening for dinner gone 3 nights in a row) - she swears hers saves her hundreds of dollars a month in food that would have otherwise gone bad.

I'll keep my eyes open for some deals on them. Sounds like the containers would be a great thing to have too.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Oh I am so happy you got one. They are great. I would highly recommend getting some canisters. That is what I used for lettuce so it doesn't smoosh it

Here are a couple of tricks to keeping the juices from flowing. I have the Tillia food saver so I am not sure if the Black and Decker lets you do this, but make your bags extra long if you can. That helps to keep the juices from going into the machine as much. The other trick is to take a paper towel and fold it up and put it in the bag at the top before you seal it. This way any juices that do make it up that far will be absorbed by the paper towel. Have fun with your new toy. You are going to love it!

Oh Kitchenelf, on my foodsaver there is a little reservoir that any juices that come out go into. You can then just take a paper towel and clean it out very easily. I have never had a problem keeping mine clean and gunk free.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

There is a Food Saver at Sam's club with I think 50 feet of bag and 3 cannisters - anything else I should know about one? I didn't check out the size of it. It's $79.95 or somewhere close to there. It was the actual Food Saver brand - is another brand better?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Make sure to get one with an accessory port. This will allow you to use the canisters and also regular mason jars. I, personally, would not spend the money if it did not have that port.

Oh I just read where you said it comes with canisters so I guess this one does have the port LOL
Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure about the accessory port but I believe it's there since they did say on the box the top was included to fit a mason jar - is that the same thing?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

...and I just read where you said if it showed that it probably does - I'm posting after reading the first sentence apparently!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

LOL

Is it a Tillia brand? From what I have read, those are the ones that are really worth the $.