"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-22-2005, 01:24 AM   #11
Cook

I have a Berkel 9" commercial slicer, with a 1/4 HP motor. It does very well slicing up hams, turkey, pastrami, vegetables, and just about anything that needs to be thinly sliced. By thinly sliced, I mean paper thin. Before that, I had a Rival 7 1/2" slicer that burned out. I don't slice cheese on the Berkel, and won't do it on any of the "consumer" slicer models either. Cheese is very hard on a motor, especially the motor on a consumer product.

MrCoffee

Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #12

Ooops I forgot, I have another manual food slicer. It is a large commercial stainless steel cheese slicer.

It is in storage, and I will probably give it to the Boys and Girls club or to the Church.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
Ooops I forgot, I have another manual food slicer. It is a large commercial stainless steel cheese slicer.

It is in storage, and I will probably give it to the Boys and Girls club or to the Church.
Where could I get a cheese slicer like you described? It would be nice for slicing up one of those 5 pound blocks of cheddar I get at Sam's Club. Are they as expensive as a meat slicer like I have? Are there any on the used market? It definitely sounds like something I could use.

MrCoffee
Old 03-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
Where could I get a cheese slicer like you described? It would be nice for slicing up one of those 5 pound blocks of cheddar I get at Sam's Club. Are they as expensive as a meat slicer like I have? Are there any on the used market? It definitely sounds like something I could use.

MrCoffee
I found my cheese slicer in a thrift shop for less than $10. It is the exact same one I found in the Central Restaurant Supply catalog for $192.

www.centralrestaurant.com
Old 03-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Hey Chef, take a look at this place. We buy from them a good bit. Their prices may be better.

Restaurant Equippers
Old 03-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #16

I have gotten a catalog or two from these folks in the past, but I don't have a new catalog. Thanks!

They did seem to have cheaper prices than some of the other catalogs, on certain items.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I found my cheese slicer in a thrift shop for less than $10. It is the exact same one I found in the Central Restaurant Supply catalog for $192.

www.centralrestaurant.com
That's what I need to get. Of course, you got lucky choclatechef. I go to a thrift shop, and the most I can find for that price are a couple off-brand Ginzu frying skillets. Rumage sales ain't much better, they're mostly a wasteland of old bread machines, Beanie Babies, and PrestoBurgers...

Yup, I guess it's time for me to call up Superior Products...

MrCoffee
Old 03-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #18

I looked in my Superior products catalog first, but unless I am blind, I didn't see a manual cheese slicer Mr. C!

I didn't see one in Bargreen Ellingson's catalog either.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #19
Cook

Hmmm, rats. I guess I can't get it locally then. OK, we go online then.

MrCoffee
Old 03-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
Hmmm, rats. I guess I can't get it locally then. OK, we go online then.

MrCoffee
Seems obvious to me~offer CC money, and he can donate that to the church or whereever!