"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Cook

The new vertical model looks pretty cool, but it got a couple of pretty bad reviews on Amazon.com. Check it out:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Food saver V3440 Vacuum Sealer

Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I think a lot depends on the model you have. I have an older model, but it is a professional model which is designed to do seal after seal after seal without taking a rest. I also have a dial on mine which lets me determine how long the seal takes. I can set it to seal very quickly or if it is something that I think might take longer to seal then I can dial it up and seal it longer.
Mine has a speed setting and a moist food setting, but I thought that was more for sealing delicate foods (breads) and of course, moist foods, where the vaccum will draw slower to help prevent juice being drawn into the machine.

And for the record, I have seen vaccum sealed meats that I got from my butcher that use a very narrow seal. I don't think the width of the seal has any bearing on the quality of the seal.

And also for the record.... and we know I'm not the food police or a member of their fraternal organization , but I reuse bags all the time that have had raw meat in them. I wrap all meats in plastic wrap, put them in the bag and seal them. Then I will open the bag, take out what I need and reseal/vaccum the bag. The bags stay clean this way, at least physically looking clean, and frozen. I don't thaw out foods in the FS bags. Or the Handi-Vac bags for that matter.
I used to do the, turn inside out and stick 'em in the dishwasher thing, but that's a PITB. I'd just as soon keep them frozen in the freezer and put like foods back into them.

Oh, and I have had them both, FS and H-V lose a seal. I don't always blame it on my seal. It could be the sides of the bag, too, or a pinhole.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryE View Post
The new vertical model looks pretty cool, but it got a couple of pretty bad reviews on Amazon.com.
Interesting. That's the model I have now and I absolutely love it, but yes it does waste a lot of the bag when it seals and I sent a comment about that to the company. I consider it the price I pay for the hands-off convenience and of a new product and I got used to it. In all other respects it lived up to and exceeded my expectations, but I realize that one cannot please everyone.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
In all other respects it lived up to and exceeded my expectations
So, you don't have any trouble with the automatic features not working, like mentioned in the review? I'm asking because my Foodsaver is pretty old and I've been thinking it might be time to upgrade. So, you're happy with your vertical model?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Can I use the food saver on frozen chicken breast, frozen foods etc.?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Yes you sure can.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryE View Post
So, you don't have any trouble with the automatic features not working, like mentioned in the review?
Not at all. I went and looked at my unit and I have Model #V3840.

Automatic Bag Detection -- this is what takes the extra length of bag that is kind of a waste. You have to allow 3" to push into the unit. But...no more lifting the lid, inserting bag just right, closing and locking lid and holding a button down. It's all automatic and hands free. I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me that much about the wasted bag , but it's something they need to improve upon in future models.

Retractable Accessory Hose -- for your canisters and I love this feature of not having to keep the hose and attachment in a drawer, finding it and having to hook it up. Done now in a second and the hose reels back in to the unit.

Automatic Liquid Detection -- senses food type and automatically adjusts seal level for a secure, reliable, air-tight seal. I actually experienced this first hand when I bagged some liquid. Afterwards you can tilt back the top of the unit and lift out the tray and empty it. No mess. There are also buttons on the unit to specify in advance what you are sealing.

Marinate Mode -- Haven't tried this option yet but it may actually create a higher vacuum that usual since you are using a special container.

Vacuum Process Gauge -- Displays vacuum progress visually and I think this is a cool feature. Its like a round gauge with red at the end when it seals and goes backward when finished.

Integrated Bag Opener -- pops out from the bottom but I forget its there and have never tried it. I think it would be better higher up.

Two Speed Settings -- for regular and gentle vacuuming needs. I use it for sealing loose flour and other items that don't need the strong suction. Nice option, plus you have the Seal Now button if you want to stop early.

Extra-Wide Sealing Strip -- provides a better seal and the strip is longer for those gallon size bags. It says it will seal regular bags also (potato chip, pasta bags, etc) but I have not tried that yet.

Built-In Roll Holder w/Cutter -- holds up to gallon size rolls and has a built-in slide cutter. Haven't gotten used to this yet since I never had that with my former units.

Auto Shut-Off -- goes into standby mode when not used. Touching any button wakes it up. Since the unit is 'automatic' it does kind of stay on all the time, so if you make not like this if you are trying to cut back on power usage.

All in all I love it as I previously said, but it may not be a unit for everyone. If you want more control over where the bag seals, etc., you might be better off with the less automatic variety.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lssmc View Post
Can I use the food saver on frozen chicken breast, frozen foods etc.?
You will virtually eliminate Freezer Burn if you vacuum seal food for freezing and storage time will increase by many months.

I get those bulks bags of food and I come home and seal them in smaller portions in FoodSaver bags and put those in the freezer. Much easier and you don't have to mess with a big bag with only one piece left in it either.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Cook

Thanks so much for all the information! Sounds perfect. I think I have something else to add to my Christmas list!

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Here you go
Thanks LadyCook. I like the way it looks so I just bought one an hour ago at Costco. Price $149.00 with cannisters, bags and some other stuff.