FoodSaver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, you don't have any trouble with the automatic features not working, like mentioned in the review? I'm asking because my Foodsaver is pretty old and I've been thinking it might be time to upgrade. So, you're happy with your vertical model?

I'm pleased with mine, all features work .

I've had the older model for several years now. As some others, I find that about 1 in 10 or so bags lose their vacuum while in the freezer.

But the canisters are another story. I have been using about a dozen of them and all but one now won't hold the seal. I've tried soaking the lids in very hot water and cleaning them thoroughly. The air is gone within a day. I tried switching lids among the canisters but that to had no positive results.

After this started happening more than a year from purchase, I contacted Foodsaver. I was told to just buy new canisters. Oh well.

So all the canisters are now in a box in the shed. Someday, when I clean out the shed, they'll be gone.

So I use it just for freezing items. And the foodsaver is no longer out on the counter.

I now keep most of my pantry items in the glass jars with rubber gaskets and the metal clamps attached to them.

Shelly

I tossed my canisters a couple of years ago. Like you, I could never get them to keep a seal. I got the same response from Foodsaver as you - buy new ones. I decided not to and just use the bags.

I used to have that problem too, until I got a new unit. The pumps are far superior from earlier models, as are the sealing wires. Canisters now seal better because the suction is better, but the seal does goes bad (hard?) on some old canisters.

I have one of the old big ones that still refuses to stay sealed. It has an old red connection that I don't even have an adapter for anymore so I use the mason jar sealer to seal it. I hate giving it up so I'm going to try using some wet emery cloth on the rim and a little cooking oil on the seal to see if I seals, though it actually may be in the top connection where the leak is.

Back
Top Bottom