"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question FoodSaver doubt (preserving apple)

Hi everyone

I'm thinking about buying a foodsaver device, but i have a question i don't seem to find any answer... I want to send quartered and peeled apple (as other types of fruit) to my daughter lunch at school, and i'd like to know if using the foodsaver bags in it will prevent apple oxidation during the four or five hours the fruit rests in the lunchbox, at room temperatura. Thank you!

Cristina

Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

WElcome to DC, Cristina.

It should. The FS would keep air from reaching the apple. Of course, you could give it a test try...

Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Master Chef

For that short a time I would think it would help. You could always do a quick dip in lemon juice before sealing as well. They have a new handheld version that works like the Reynolds handivac on ziploc style bags that would be good for lunches. Otherwise she will need scissors to open the bag if you use the regular foodsaver.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Yes that would work. Apples brown when they come into contact with air. The Foodsaver removes almost all the air so oxidation would not happy. This would be a pretty expensive way to keep the apples from browning though. I am assuming you are going to be using the bags, which are not cheap. If you could use a small Foodsaver container then that would cost less than using the bags.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Yes, the bags are definitely not cheap. A foodsaver container may be just the ticket.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks!

I've just heard about this preservation procedure recently, cause it's not common here in Portugal, so i didnt' yet compared prices with much detail. It's a great tip you gave me about the economical downside of the bags. Thanks again, i'll keep that in mind :)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

try using citrus powder/acid
Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Try sending the apple whole,to prevent browning, You do have to use your teeth to eat it though. But there is no plastic to toss out, it could start a trend . WE did this with our kids and it worked OK .
Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
Try sending the apple whole,to prevent browning, You do have to use your teeth to eat it though. But there is no plastic to toss out, it could start a trend . WE did this with our kids and it worked OK .
Well, when I was a kid I could take a pocketknife to school to peel and core it without getting expelled. With "zero tolerance" today you've got kids getting kicked out for taking their Boy Scout camping utensils or T-shirts with a picture of a gun on it. I remember once as a boy taking a deer rifle to school for show-and-tell. The teacher took his turn checking it out. Those were different times.