FoodSaver question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwind30

Assistant Cook
We received a Food Saver for Christmas. Is it possible to seal foods like chips, crackers, cheese or bread in it's original bag? If so how?
Thanks so much!

It depends on the model and will usually have an extra wide sealing tray. Check your manual. It will tell you there. Do not attempt it with a regular foodsaver unit not designed for potato chip bags or you could burn out the heating element.

Note: It would SEAL only. It would not vacuum seal since its the wrong material.

We received a Food Saver for Christmas. Is it possible to seal foods like chips, crackers, cheese or bread in it's original bag? If so how?
Thanks so much!

McNerd is right. There are some materials that you can't seal with your FS. Be sure to read the manual before you start. There are things you need to know. I find it easier to use a bag clip for chips, crackers etc. Every time you want to take some out you will have to tear open the bag and seal again if you seal these with the FS.

Actually, you can SEAL your chip bags or any other bags with your food saver. You just can't vacumm. I use my foodsaver to seal all my chip bags, or any other bag. Just check to see if your food saver has a seal only option.

Now to seal with a vaccumm... be sure to use the bags provided or purchase the bags designed for this use.

HTH

I had a quick question in regards to the food saver...How does the 15min marinade compare to an overnight marinade? Can one tell a difference?

If using the special marinade container and have the 'marinade' option on your FoodSaver, you should get better results than the overnight. The marinade option applies more vacuum pressure which forces the juices to infuse deeply into the meat.

Even without the marinade option and container I think you would still get better results with the vacuum seal vs overnight soaking, but I've never tried to compare.

If using the special marinade container and have the 'marinade' option on your FoodSaver, you should get better results than the overnight. The marinade option applies more vacuum pressure which forces the juices to infuse deeply into the meat.

Even without the marinade option and container I think you would still get better results with the vacuum seal vs overnight soaking, but I've never tried to compare.

Great info. The more I think about it, 15mins would be much better than overnight. At my hectic house, it's so hard to judge how many people show up...Always have a lot of extra food or only half the people get to eat...

get those vac. canisters that Tilia sells...they will vac chips and keep them fresh way longer than the bag

I am not getting this idea. From the picture I saw, you have essentially a bowl sitting with the meat and marinade in the bottom then you suck the air out.

How does this force the marinade into the meat and/or veggies?

The vacuum environment opens the pores of the food for the marinade to penetrate, like a dry sponge placed in water.

You don't have to get the idea. It works. Try it.

I would have to buy one first! But seriously, it sounds like a great product. And I throw out far too much food as it is.

So when you buy a cut of meat do you take it out, clean it and then repack it in the FS bags?

Yes, a lot of times it is a bulk purchase of several pieces so it is separated and sealed in separate FS bags according to the serving size I want. Sometimes I will preseason the meat before sealing if I know what my future plans are. Have a permanent marker handy to write on the bag what it is and the date it was frozen.

In some cases, like ground meat and chicken pieces, I will precook it before I bag and freeze it. Precooked ground beef is excellent for those evening when you want to make a casserole, chili, etc. since you don't have to waste time messing with cooking the meat first. Already done and dinner is on the table in short order. Same for the chicken pieces. Just reheat in the microwave (in the FS bag).

Kim got us one for Christmas, and we think it's great! He hasn't tried the marinade thing...he's a little doubtful of how it would work.

easy marinade

put some not so tender cheap cuts of meat in a seal bag, along with some Italian dressing. If the meat has been trimmed of unnecessary fat, it'll turn out better.
Hold the sealer up, so the liquid stays at the bottom of the bag, and seal it.
Refrigerate it for as long as you'd like, at least a couple of hours.
Roast, bake , fry, however you would normally cook this cut, and see the difference.
You can freeze leftovers, and just drop the bag into a pot of water, and bring it up to a simmer, open the bag and serve.
I LOVE my sealer, and have many sized vacuum canisters from Tilia co., I make loads of stews and soups (it's cold here)and save them for a lot longer than any other method.
All my dry goods are sealed; they do not spoil, and no bugs in the summer.
Really cool tool.

Back
Top Bottom