Foodsaver stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
As a lot of you know, I bought a Foodsaver earlier this year. Well, it broke.
A few days ago it was not "winding out" like it does right before the motor stops and it starts sealing. It would start the sealing proocess with the bag looking exactly like it did beforehand, or maybe just a little air taken out. I called, they said try a different bag (from a different roll) and it worked. I was told sometimes you get a bad roll of bags. Then today I could not get a cannister to reseal. The motor just kept right on running no matter how many times I tried. I tried another bag from that roll that worked a few days ago. No go.
So now I need to get a box and ship it back for a replacement.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? I thought in today's age that things either break right away or they last nearly forever..... I'm not looking forward to getting a refurbished unit if that's how they do things. I recently got a replacement cell phone and the screen was all scratched up. The cell phone co. acted like this was the norm. I told them I would suffer with my current one instead and sent the replacement back.

I never told you about my Krups KP1010 pod coffee maker, did I?

I had it for about a month when the lever that holds the top down quit working, and you can't make coffee if the lid isn't locked down. So I sent it to the repair shop a few miles down the freeway from here, as instructed by customer service, with a note explaining the problem, and also requesting they make the free modifications required so that my machine could also use the cappucino pods.

Well, after two months of no coffeemaker and no messages from the repair shop, I finally called them. They said they had been waiting for the parts to do the conversion, and they never arrived, so they shipped the machine off to Krups Customer Service for replacement. A few days later, a package arrived from Medford MA, the home of Krups USA, so I got some fresh water, a coffee pod, and I opened the box, prepared to make a fresh, hot cup of coffee with my new, uh, blender?

That's right. Instead of a brand new Krups KP1010 pod coffee maker, I got a brand new Krups KB720 Blender! Beautiful blender, too. Powerful 1000 watt motor, yet it runs really quiet. Unfortunately, it makes one LOUSY cup of coffee! So I contacted customer service, and they insisted I return the blender before they'd send me a new coffeemaker, which I did last friday. Ya know what? The more I think about it, I should have kept the $150.00 blender and bought a refurbished coffeemaker for $64.95 from Amazon.com

Have you seen the ad regarding freezer bags being as good and efficient as the vacuum bags? I have a sealer that I don't use often, but when it goes, I'll definitely try using the bags.

Well if they sent me an iron I'd be halfway there. Then they can then send me a vaccum cleaner and I'm sure I'll "figger sumpin" out!

No, I haven't seen those freezer bags advertised. This Foodsaver keeps cheddar cheese for so long in the fridge..... I'd be surprised if they could do the same job. Do you have a name for them?

Pacanis, I'm on my third (at least) Foodsaver in 10 years. I only use it maybe 2-3 times a month and they've only lasted maybe 3 years each.

I'm assuming that's a common life for the machines, but if other people have had theirs for years and years without it failing, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, if yours lasted less than a year, you definitely got a lemon.

Lee

I only use it maybe 2-3 times a month and they've only lasted maybe 3 years each.

That isn't encouraging either. If the replacement I get doesn't last as long as I think it should, it will be my last Foodsaver. Three years of use, 2-3 times/week and time for a new one?! That doesn't seem right, but it's better than what I got.

Foodsavers are actually known for lasting a very very long time. I was on a vacuum packing forum a while back. 99% of the people used the Tillia Foodsaver. Many of those people had theirs for 20+ years and they were still going strong. People also raved about their customer service. Give them a call and explain the situation and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

My Foodsaver is about 6 years old and I use it at least 6 times a day, usually more. It is still working like the day I got it.

...My Foodsaver is about 6 years old and I use it at least 6 times a day, usually more. It is still working like the day I got it.

WOW, that's a lot. You must use it on everything! I can't think of that many uses.

That isn't encouraging either. If the replacement I get doesn't last as long as I think it should, it will be my last Foodsaver. Three years of use, 2-3 times/week and time for a new one?! That doesn't seem right, but it's better than what I got.

Just remember that the customary warranty period for replacement units is only what remains of the original warranty. So, assuming a warranty of one year, if the first one lasted you 8 months, and the second one breaks any time after 4 months, you're stuck!

I love mine and I use it alot in spurts. We use it for other stuff, too, like sealing up stuff we will be taking into a wet environment and storing things in a humid or damp environment. I haven't killed one yet but have given them to my kids so I have ended up buying 4 so far. I actually like the refurbed Rival I bought at Big Lots for $30 best. It's stainless steel and very heavy, but more compact than the others. It works great, is easier to latch down closed, and is easier to get the bags lined up right to seal properly. I've been using this one for about 1 1/2 years. I had heard that vacuum sealers often have short life spans so I like the idea that when it dies, I'm only out $30!

WOW, that's a lot. You must use it on everything! I can't think of that many uses.
Yep we use it on everything, even things that really don't need it because they get used so fast. We have a million of the canisters so anything that needs to be stored goes in one. Right now we have meatballs and sauce in one, parm regiano in another, crackers, cheerios, grapes, soup, and a bunch of other things. We probably go into the grapes container 4 times at day at least.

Yep we use it on everything, even things that really don't need it because they get used so fast. We have a million of the canisters so anything that needs to be stored goes in one. Right now we have meatballs and sauce in one, parm regiano in another, crackers, cheerios, grapes, soup, and a bunch of other things. We probably go into the grapes container 4 times at day at least.
I have never bought the containers GB because I didn't know if I would use them enough or if they would just take up cupboard space. Now I think I need to go and buy some.

They have their good points and bad points Fisher's Mom. They are expensive and do take up a lot of room. We also find them clumsy if they are not sealed, which is why we seal them even for things that do not really need them. Otherwise we go to pick one up and inevitably grab it by the top thinking it is sealed and the top comes off and things spill.

They come in a variety of sizes and are clear and strong though so those are some pluses.

Makes sense to seal them because I spill a lot anyway. But I do keep the Foodsaver on the counter so that's no biggie. I think I'll get a few and try. Thanks.

Mine stays on the counter too. If I had to put it away and take it out each time I would never use it.

Good luck F's M. I hope it works well for you.

Mine is on the counter and I have owned 2 in the last 10 years. And the only reason I got a second one was to upgrade the first. I have found them very durable and I use mine for just about anything. It gets used at least 3 or 4 times a week if not more. I guess every now and them you tend to get a bad apple. I would have to agree with GB's comments!

Ours stays on the counter too. I have a lot of the canisters - going to have to get more. I don't use it every day - but we use it a lot - just bought a 15 lb pork loin, divided it into 2 good sized roasts, 2 large pork "chops", 6 slices in packages of 3 (perfect for Bob and I) for katsu (Japanese pork cutlets), and a package of pork for stir fry.

I sometimes have trouble getting the canisters to seal - but it's usually because I don't have the hose in tightly. Once in a while it doesn't seem to suck out as much air as it used to - then I know it's time to clean it up inside.

I got lazy a few nights ago an put some homemade tomato feta soup in one of those Ziplock "freezer" bags that are supposed to be as good as the foodsaver bags. Then next morning Jennifer informed me that I had a problem in the freezer. Yup, the soup expanded and blew the seal on the zipper bag. Icky mess. It's now in a foodsaver bag. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom