"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

You are welcome Dawfluver and Frank. Glad to be of help. When I went shopping at the beginning of this month, my freezer was crying for company. It didn't even have ice cube trays in it. Today, thanks to the FS, it is now full to the top. There are at least 40 meals in there for me. If not more. I won't have to buy meat for the next two months. Unless there is a sale I can't pass up.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are welcome Dawfluver and Frank. Glad to be of help. When I went shopping at the beginning of this month, my freezer was crying for company. It didn't even have ice cube trays in it. Today, thanks to the FS, it is now full to the top. There are at least 40 meals in there for me. If not more. I won't have to buy meat for the next two months. Unless there is a sale I can't pass up.
I'm sorry ya all,

I can do the same with more convenience with my battery powered air sucker and Ziplock quart and gallon bags, at about the same cost. Also, the Foodsaver bags need to be raised up to the height of the intake for efficient use. I had to use a cheese block as an aid to do that. Too much hassle for me. FoodSaver now markets their own version of Reynolds and Ziplocks hand held food vacuum system.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'm sorry ya all,

I can do the same with more convenience with my battery powered air sucker and Ziploc quart and gallon bags, at about the same cost. Also, the Foodsaver bags need to be raised up to the height of the intake for efficient use. I had to use a cheese block as an aid to do that. Too much hassle for me. FoodSaver now markets their own version of Reynolds and Ziploc hand held food vacuum system.
I am of the school, 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it.' My old FS works just fine for me. I have yet to use the canisters and all the other extras that came with it. But when this roll is gone, I will be purchasing the gallon bags. By purchasing the ready made bags, I rarely have to use the large roll and cut my own size. The cutter comes out only for a large piece of meat like a roast. I have seen all the other uses for it. The only clothing I would want to us the FS on, is going to be the piece I want to wear today. And since I cook only for one, there are no leftovers. I see no need to upgrade at this time. And considering that I have empty cabinets, storage is not an issue for me.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am of the school, 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it.' My old FS works just fine for me. I have yet to use the canisters and all the other extras that came with it. But when this roll is gone, I will be purchasing the gallon bags. By purchasing the ready made bags, I rarely have to use the large roll and cut my own size. The cutter comes out only for a large piece of meat like a roast. I have seen all the other uses for it. The only clothing I would want to us the FS on, is going to be the piece I want to wear today. And since I cook only for one, there are no leftovers. I see no need to upgrade at this time. And considering that I have empty cabinets, storage is not an issue for me.
Just an FYI tho, the price FS charges for their end sealed gallon and quart sized bags is way more than Ziplock charges for same.

If all things are equal, I prefer taking a lightweight battery powered air sucker out of a drawer over taking out a 5 pound unit I have to take out of a cabinet, plug in, then do the reverse afterwards.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

True. That is why I don't buy my bags from FS. They cost the most. There are plenty of other vendors that sell them for a lot less. In fact, when I looked at their site, I didn't see any bags for my old FS. I had to call them to make sure the bags of today would work on my FS. They do. So I went on a hunt and found a place that sells them for so much less. So between buying in bulk, both food and the bags, I have saved me a pretty penny. And I didn't even have to buy any new hardware, e.i., a new version of the FS or a handheld one. I am one happy shopper.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #16
Head Chef

Another mildly funny note about FS, I used to be impressed that the motor had the power to squish aluminum cans. Not only is that much suction not required to remove the air around an item in the bag, but my FS sounded like something that belonged on my garage tool bench, not on a kitchen counter, especially late at night.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Does it screw the nuts on the wheels of the car nice and tight?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
Head Chef

I have had one for years, walmart has been selling the bags for a while.
Love it. I also use to seal up important documents and made up a emgerency kit for the car. stays nice and dry - It has paid for it self over and over. Well worth the investment.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have the zip lock hand pump as well. I had several failures from the bags. Slow leaks and not pointy stuff, sausage.

The other issue with the zip lock premade bags is they are premade, one size (ok two sizes) and that is that. I have done some foods they would not have worked with.

I also found it difficult at times to get the circle laid flat if the food was weird shaped.

It isn't a bad system, especially for the price, but it does have some limitations.

I do think the FS does a better job overall, it can be a bit less convenient though. I don't have to worry about a bag cutter, mine has that internally with roll storage. It also automatically starts the cycle, just slide the bag edge in and the clamp closes and the machine starts. My biggest beef is it heats up too fast and you have to wait.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Of all the toys I have in my kitchen, my FS has saved me the most money. I use it more than my electric slicer or even food processor. My next foray into the produce section of my supermarket is for onions. Vidalia. I will slice some and dice some. And into the freezer they will go. They have just reach us here, so I will wait until they go down in price some. Son #1 usually does my shopping in that half of the store. I am going to have to educate him on how to shop for Vidalias. To him, an onion is an onion.

Tags
food