FoodSaver, who has one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this where we blame parenting? :LOL:

Could be! I say Vidalia and he looks at me like I have two heads. "Who cares Ma. It's an onion." Of all my kids, he is the smartest when it comes to everyday stuff. But break it down to specifics, and he looks at you like you are making a mole hill into a mountain. And my youngest one is just the opposite. Really smart and he has to break it down into a scientific explanation. Maybe that is why he went into medicine. Whereas Son #1 can build you a two story home all by himself if need be. Couldn't care less why two nails are better than just one. Just put in the two nails because that is the way you do it. :huh:

I had the had the Reynold"s handheld sealer, and it worked, but I had many many bag failures. I made sure the zip seal was clean and was very careful. I gave up on it.

I haven't had a single failure with the Seal-a-meal (very similar to Food Saver.) I've used different brands of bags with great success. I think that since it heat seals the bags that the failure rate is so low.

Gallon size 11x14 bags. Fits Tilia FoodSaver vacuum sealer Tilia FoodSaver Bags & Rolls - Vacuum Sealer Accessories - By Univen #baggal - 744539010757 at Goodman's Small Appliances Housewares and Parts

This is the cheapest I have found so far. Hunting supply places carry them, but you have to buy large quantities. No less than 100 at a time. And they are more costly.

:)

It has taken me some time to get to it, but I finally ordered some rolls from them.

6 pack of 8" and a 6 pack of 11". That should hold me for a while. :)

It has taken me some time to get to it, but I finally ordered some rolls from them.

6 pack of 8" and a 6 pack of 11". That should hold me for a while. :)
Do you have any estimate of what the packaging cost adds to the cost per pound of the items being packaged. Twenty five cents?
To avoid juices from being sucked out of meats, we wrap the meats in Saran wrap and freeze for about 6 hours before vacuum packing and break the vacuum just before thawing the meat.
We try to wash and reuse bags but it's somewhat problematic because the vacuuming and or the freezing seems to distort the bags and at least one inch of the bag / sleeve is lost during each sealing process.
Foodsaver gallon bags run about 40 cents apiece but seem to be prone to leaks.

Last edited:
Do you have any estimate of what the packaging cost adds to the cost per pound of the items being packaged. Twenty five cents?
To avoid juices from being sucked out of meats, we wrap the meats in Saran wrap and freeze for about 6 hours before vacuum packing and break the vacuum just before thawing the meat.
We try to wash and reuse bags but it's somewhat problematic because the vacuuming and or the freezing seems to distort the bags and at least one inch of the bag / sleeve is lost during each sealing process.
Foodsaver gallon bags run about 40 cents apiece but seem to be prone to leaks.

Nope.. no estimate at all. Honestly I never really thought about it. I will say I have been much happier with things I have pulled out of the freezer after a couple months that have been vacuum packed as opposed to the usual Saran wrap.

I have seen many recommendations for not reusing bags that had meat in them, and I suppose I can see the point, or not. :yum:

I don't usually like using the premade bags, they are never the right size for me. Either way too big, but you really can't cut them down and get 2 runs, or just a tad too small.

Our FS has a gentle cycle so we can pack unfrozen meats, but if I have the time and the room I will freeze first. Sometimes our freezer isn't in the right configuration to lay things flat for pre-freezing.

I love my Food Saver. No question, I find the vac packed stuff lasts much longer and tastes much fresher than wrapping stuff the usual way. I like to cut my own bags too, and discard the ones that housed meat.

I love my Food Saver. No question, I find the vac packed stuff lasts much longer and tastes much fresher than wrapping stuff the usual way. I like to cut my own bags too, and discard the ones that housed meat.

Ditto !! I got my first one when they first came out and I was sold immediately. I also cut my own, much cheaper that way, but the main savings is in the quality and life of the food.

I have a Debbie Myers hand held vac sealer and love it. It's easy to store and use and the bag pricing is good. I like mine so much that I gave one to my daughter in law for Christmas!

Karen

I love my vacuum sealer (seal-a-meal brand that I got for a steal!)

I agree, meat tastes great vacuum sealed. Even after a year in the freezer there is no damage from freezer burn. I cooked some 2 year old ground beef once and it tasted great, no damage.

Because I buy them in bulk, I never reuse any of the bags. Aside from the savings on food, there is also the savings on time and effort. My main use for the Food Saver is for meat. I would rather wrap six individual chicken legs and thaw out two at a time using the small pint bag. I have better control over how much food I thaw out and cook. Never more than I am going to eat. Then toss the bag. Not worth the effort to wash, dry and save. :angel:

I got my order in last night. My 6 pack of 8" bags was a 5 pack. I called this morning and Bonnie assured me the correction would be sent within 24 hours. She was very nice on the phone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom