"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

FoodSaver, who has one?

Do any of you have a Food Saver? I do. It is a much older model. But it serves me well. I would be lost without it. And my grocery bill would be much higher without it.

If I were to purchase my meats in individual packages it would cost me a lot more. By being able to purchase family size packages, I save an awful lot of money. Steaks, unless there is a really great sale, I usually do buy an individual one. Porterhouse steak is my favorite. Chuck meat, I buy the family pack. That gets ground into ground meat. I am not too fond of pork products. So chops do have to be center cut loin and on sale. Again the family pack. I only buy chicken quarters and cut them up for individual servings. I get them by the bagful. Usually anywhere from six to ten a bag. The most I pay for them is $.69 a lb.

I have the continuous roll cut to size for larger pieces of meat. Otherwise the pint size bags serve me very well for individual servings.

My FS was purchased many years ago. When they first came on the market. Every time I see them on QVC, I notice the price goes up and up for the latest model. And then I think of mine. It does the same job and today my only cost is the bags. After shopping around the 'net, I have found a place that sells them for less than the FS site or Amazon. The FS site is the most expensive.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a Seal-a-Meal brand vacuum sealer that I got at a great price at Big Lots quite a while ago. I really like it. I don't have to think about freezer burn and meat doesn't even taste like it has been frozen.

Usually boneless skinless chicken comes 3 pieces to a pack, and with only 2 of us, cooking a whole pack would be wasteful, so I break them up into 2-piece packs, and vacuum seal them in the quart sized bags. I buy pork loins and cut them up, and vacuum seal. I buy meat only when on sale and I save a bundle!

I need more bags. Where do you get yours Addie?

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do any of you have a Food Saver?

Yes

Where are you buying bags?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Yes

Where are you buying bags?
What Frank said.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Gallon size 11x14 bags. Fits Tilia FoodSaver vacuum sealer Tilia FoodSaver Bags & Rolls - Vacuum Sealer Accessories - By Univen #baggal - 744539010757 at Goodman's Small Appliances Housewares and Parts

This is the cheapest I have found so far. Hunting supply places carry them, but you have to buy large quantities. No less than 100 at a time. And they are more costly.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Addie!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Administrator

The roll prices look right nice... thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have one and I love it. Purchased my first one when they first came out many many moons ago. I upgraded about 5 years ago and still think this machine is the best thing I ever purchased. Like you said .. you can save soooooo much buying in bulk. And the lifespan of food sealed in a food saver package is so much longer than any other way. I would be lost without my food saver .. it's a winner !
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have one, love it!

I save (and have friends save) the microwave frozen dinner trays. Things like lasagna, I put in those and vacuum seal them and toss in the freezer. I have my own frozen entrees.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Head Chef

I loved my FoodSaver, until they came out with the Reynolds EZ-Vac. I found it cumbersome to lug out my Foodsaver from the top cabinet above my fridge, along with the roll cutter and rolls, then have to store it back. Reynolds has stopped making the bags, but the ZipLock company came out with a similar hand pump product and bags. I now buy Ziplock vacuum bags. All you have to do to get them to work with the battery operated Reynolds EZ-Vac vacuumer is hold it off to one side of the bag hole. I don't miss my FoodSaver anymore, but it was a cool product. The Ziplock brand gallon and quart sized bags are still being sold, for how long? Who knows? I plan to buy a bunch, and they're not that expensive. They have their fail rate, but so does everything. Most sealing errors are due to people not being aware that sharp pointed areas of frozen foods can pierce the bags. For T-bone steaks (for instance) I use a small piece of paper towel at that sharp boney area. This prevents the bags getting poked upon vacuum.

Tags
food